Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Important: Reporting homophobic chanting

Oct 17, 2011
This is the problem. What is considered abuse and what is banter?

As things stand today, and this may be controversial to some.... It just sounds like chips on shoulders. e.g When some coloured people think they are being wronged they just use the race card. I find it very offensive if I'm having a discussion or debate
with a coloured person and their response literally is, "Is it coz I is blick" that you say that, grrrrrrrrr. very annoying IMO. And that is what this debate is sounding like to me thus far.

I am what I am, and if somebody wants to chant that I'm straight, White, short and fat then so what. If anyone accuses me of being tall and thin then I would laugh and suggest a visit to specsavers! If I was gay and people wanted to have a laugh at my expense then my shoulders would be broad enough to take it.

Sticks and stones and all that spring to mind!

Violence and/or menacing behaviour is entirely different and should be dealt with severely!

What colour are these coloured people?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, that BBC article will certainly clear things up for opposing fans. :facepalm:

This has the potential to become very embarrasing for the 90% of fans who think the other 10% are being precious and, frankly, childish.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This has all got lost as these things do. It's not the general chants and banter most have a problem it's certain individuals from away fans at the Amex and away from home that is the problem. Chanting the boring old 'boyfriend' and 'holding hands' isn't a problem and nobody cares, it's individuals that shout and gesture some disgusting homophobic abuse that is directed directly at an Albion supporter or group of supporters. I can take it, I'm straight but don't care if someone mistakes me for gay or says it at a footy match as banter, but why should I have to explain to a child why some cretin has just suggested I put my "**ck up my dads ar**". It's out of order and not on. Same outside and inside the ground. It should be reported and delt with to stop it happening.
This is all getting confused with the general chanting of stereotypes which ALL clubs fans do. They are not the same thing and we should try not to get lost in the difference between chants and individual vile abuse.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Sorry, can you just point out where I said I thought it was funny ?

sorry so you didn't find it funny/chuckle then ? Qoute: A palace-supporting work colleague has just emailed me that link having a right old chuckle.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
the fact is nothing is being changed, the chanting of homophobic abuse is already illegal by the FA with ejection from the ground. It just a question if anyone can be bothered to enforce it.

And calling other fans "pikeys" isn't illegal then...get a life FFS. Every game I have been to over the last 10 years involving Albion has involved the oppo fans chanting "Does Your boyfriend Know You're Here". When Albion fans chanted (accurately as it happens) to Brentford fans a few seasons back "You're going down and you know it" it got the response "You're going down on your boyfriend".

If Albion start making formal protests at away grounds about chanting expect a VERY negative response from other supporters, I reckon.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
How many fans sing chants/give banter to the opposition fans as a compliment? Not many. I don't remember singing any chants at Birmingham about how good BCFC were, or how lovely their home town is. I do remember singing that "Birmingham's a shithole; I wanna go home", and that their "support is f*cking sh*t" - both are obviously insults, even if they're not intended to offend (instead being intended as banter).

The point isn't how offensive I find it that someone is suggesting I have a boyfriend. The point is that the underlying basis to the chants is the idea that being gay is a bad thing.

It seems strange to have to point this out to opposition fans in 2011, but it isn't.

It seems odd to compare these chants to sheepshagger chants (or similar); calling someone a sheepshagger is an insult, as being a sheepshagger is a bad thing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
sorry so you didn't find it funny/chuckle then ? Qoute: A palace-supporting work colleague has just emailed me that link having a right old chuckle.

I read that as his Palace supporting mate was having a chuckle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here