Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you want Kuipers in goalnext week cos he appears bigger,sharper and louder...

Man of Harveys said:
Out of interest really, I'm just asking: what is the official LI-approved way for the generally-very supportive Brighton fans to show their displeasure at a goalkeeper who's made a few too many screw-ups recently and might benefit from being dropped in favour of another very good goalkeeper?

Please tell us how to behave because it's obvious - we obviously really need some guidance from you on this. So just say. Some guidance on how to behave is clearly needed from someone who's much better behaved.

After all, that way, when he does it again and someone at Withdean is MORONIC enough to express their displeasure at it (in a format yet to be decided, obviously), you won't have to run around saying "Stop it, you cruel bastards! You'll hurt his feelings!".

Yeah, it's pretty simple, of all the Kuipers mistakes I've watched, I've never felt tempted to launch into chanting for Henderson, I've never felt tempted to cheer Kuipers ironically when next he touches the ball. Is this the kind of thing you do then?

I'm a great believer in that when your team suffers a setback, the best thing is to get up and lift their spirits with positive support. That's a heresy for you, yeah?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Man of Harveys said:
Out of interest really, I'm just asking: what is the official LI-approved way for the generally-very supportive Brighton fans to show their displeasure at a goalkeeper who's made a few too many screw-ups recently and might benefit from being dropped in favour of another very good goalkeeper?

Please tell us how to behave because it's obvious - we obviously really need some guidance from you on this. So just say. Some guidance on how to behave is clearly needed from someone who's much better behaved.

After all, that way, when he does it again and someone at Withdean is MORONIC enough to express their displeasure at it (in a format yet to be decided, obviously), you won't have to run around saying "Stop it, you cruel bastards! You'll hurt his feelings!".

MOH, you didn't answer me earlier; did you manage to sample some Koenig Pilsener last week?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:

I spent a considerable time on here last season arguing for Alan Blayney to be signed as our goalkeeper rather than Henderson. If I could turn the clock back, that is the option I would still go for because Blayney was very underrated on here.

I agree. Blayney was definitely the better option of the two and the better GK.

Hey ho gotta make do with what we have now.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
London Irish said:
Yeah, it's pretty simple, of all the Kuipers mistakes I've watched, I've never felt tempted to launch into chanting for Henderson, I've never felt tempted to cheer Kuipers ironically when next he touches the ball. Is this the kind of thing you do then?

I'm a great believer in that when your team suffers a setback, the best thing is to get up and lift their spirits with positive support. That's a heresy for you, yeah?
Of course it is, dear...

So - just to be clear, cos you're not really answering what I asked - Wayne Henderson could throw the ball into his own net and you'd cheer his name? Because you're a positivity person? And you think everyone who doesn't do the same is a "moronic boo boy"?

You're funny. Mad, of course. That's what's funny.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Commander said:
MOH, you didn't answer me earlier; did you manage to sample some Koenig Pilsener last week?
Sorry, I missed that - no, not yet. I shall report back when I do, might be on a lunchtime excursion later this week.

Man of Harveys said:
Wayne Henderson could throw the ball into his own net and you'd cheer his name?
If you were in the net, I'd cheer very loudly :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
If you were in the net, I'd cheer very loudly :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Ooooh handbags :lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Man of Harveys said:
Sorry, I missed that - no, not yet. I shall report back when I do, might be on a lunchtime excursion later this week.

:drink:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Commander said:
Ooooh handbags :lolol:
You mess with his blue-eyed boy in the sticks, he gets NASTY, capice? :lolol:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
ROSM said:
interesting point - i wonder how much weight Keeley's view carries.

A hell of a lot. Although obviosuly the manager has the final say, I do believe that John Keeley basically picks the goalkeeper. He also has a massive say in any goalkeeper we sign.

ROSM said:
That being - do we agree that one or other has to go now, if only to get the numbnuts in the crowd who are barracking him during games to stop.

It probably should have happened at the beginning of the season. Kuipers offloaded and we could have relied on the keeper loan market, which always seems reasonably healthy given the amount of decent keepers who always stand idle each weekend.

I've a feeling it may be too late for that now.

I'm very pessimitic that there appears to be no way back in the Hendo v crowd situation. When you reach the point that sensible people are no longer criticising such crowd reactions, when the Argus is moved to write in its match reports that "rarely has an Albion player been so badly treated by supporters", it's nearly over, a tipping point has been reached.

Pointless to move on Kuipers now because we will need him next season when Hendo's agent does his stuff and earns his money.

A very sad situation.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
It probably should have happened at the beginning of the season. Kuipers offloaded and we could have relied on the keeper loan market, which always seems reasonably healthy given the amount of decent keepers who always stand idle each weekend.

I've a feeling it may be too late for that now.

I'm very pessimitic that there appears to be no way back in the Hendo v crowd situation. When you reach the point that sensible people are no longer criticising such crowd reactions, when the Argus is moved to write in its match reports that "rarely has an Albion player been so badly treated by supporters", it's nearly over, a tipping point has been reached.

Pointless to move on Kuipers now because we will need him next season when Hendo's agent does his stuff and earns his money.

A very sad situation.

The reality I would guess will be Henderson will want a move simply as the level he is playing at is not great for his long term international prospects. It is not too much of an issue for a season, but after that it becomes a problem.

Bearing this in mind and that at the end of the season we are likely to release Kuipers and then have Henderson ask for a move, I would have no real issues in selling Henderson now and using Kuipers for the rest of the season. It would give us some idea on whether he can still do it, which I suspect he can and bring some cash in.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
I'm very pessimitic that there appears to be no way back in the Hendo v crowd situation.

I think you're misjudging the fickleness of football fans there, LI.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My gut feeling at the moment is that we should sign a new keeper.

I've really supported Henderson, and I still feel appalled at the sight of Albion fans booing him, but it does feel like he's starting to cost us goals. Plus even ones that aren't his fault are being blamed on him by certain fans, which must shatter what little confidence he has left.

But I also resent the cult of Kuipers which has sprung up. He had a great couple of seasons for us, but he hasn't been so good in the last couple, and he can be as erratic as Henderson. I'm embarrassed at the total hero-worship he gets when he so much as steps foot outside the dug out. Wendy must see something wrong with him, or he'd be playing every week. Maybe it's something we don't know about.

I'd still probably give FDM a go, just to see if the change brings about a change in luck for the team. But long term I think it would be better for the club if we got someone completely new in. Someone experienced, confident, positive and dominant in the box. And someone who comes without the hysterical baggage that accompanies Michel Kuipers' every move. Not much to ask, is it!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
The Complete Badger said:
There is a reason Michel is treated like a Herculaic GOD though, and that is because he is an emperor among men when it comes to goalkeeping. Henderson is good, but Michel is formidable. If cheering his every move, and bowing to the great man as he steps out of the dugout makes me an idiot, then I'm proud to be an idiot:clap2:

Now whose the one with the stupid posts? :p

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
London Irish said:
You wonder how much weight the goalkeeping coach's opinion carries in the goalkeeping selection debate? Pretty major surely? Bit more than Ken the kit man?

Do you seriously believe that Hendo is worth less than £20k in the open transfer market now?

I didn't think there was a need for the sarcasm - Mr Burns has answered my point. I was asking if he was there to purely coach the keepers or to discuss selection, signing etc.

Also hendo is worth more than 20k - perhaps 75k to 100k (perhaps)- but it wasn't about an investment it was about signing a keeper who would add benefit to the team as a whole.

I know you did not favour hendo and like others (Tony meola's loan spell etc) you would have preferred Blayney. I do agree that barracking is wrong during the game but I also think the errors are too frequent now to be ignored. For both a message to the team as well as hendo's future

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here