Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you want Kuipers in goalnext week cos he appears bigger,sharper and louder...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am getting the impression that Henderson's confidence is a bit shot at the moment and might need some time out of the firing line.

People forget he is still young in goalkeeping terms.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ROSM said:

Henderson (irrespective of how good a keeper he is)will go down as one of the contributory factors in MM's decline. He desire to sign hendo caused him to take a course of action that succeeded in annoying the two other keepers we had (inc Chaigneau) and we all know what major falling out blossomed out of the southampton incident, as well as (I'm led to believe) annoying some of the investors over what they saw as a poor use of limited cash.

Once again someone makes the mistake of highlighting the Southampton incident. Kuipers played in the very next match against Leeds (which we won) and then away at Sheff Utd.
The Bramall Lane incident is the catalyst of Kuipers downfall. He blamed Lynch for his own mistake (Ifill's goal) and the dressing room bustup was fairly common knowledge after the game.
That's when he handed in his transfer request not after the Saints game.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Yorkie said:
Once again someone makes the mistake of highlighting the Southampton incident. Kuipers played in the very next match against Leeds (which we won) and then away at Sheff Utd.
The Bramall Lane incident is the catalyst of Kuipers downfall. He blamed Lynch for his own mistake (Ifill's goal) and the dressing room bustup was fairly common knowledge after the game.
That's when he handed in his transfer request not after the Saints game.

Yorkie - please read what I wrote:

I was referring to the total squad chasm which had been festering but actually blew up over Kuipers being left out for the southampton game. We all know Leon Knight is an annoying little **** and I have backed MM over his stance with him, but there is no doubt that the blow up at soton was down on that day to the keeper decision.

And interestingly with regard to Sheff Utd, having been told he was going to be dropped almost irrespective, I'm sure that any player under immense pressure would at times blame people for things that in truth they shouldn't do. he seems to get on well with Lynch now so I'm sure, like adults, they have all put it behind them.

I'm also sure there are many more dressing room bust ups that have occurred before and since that dont make such wide common knowledge. Who do you think would have benefited by the things in the bramall lane dressing room being made public? Potentially the man who is trying to justify spending money on a keeper who is not really any better than what we had.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ROSM said:
Yorkie - please read what I wrote:

I was referring to the total squad chasm which had been festering but actually blew up over Kuipers being left out for the southampton game. We all know Leon Knight is an annoying little **** and I have backed MM over his stance with him, but there is no doubt that the blow up at soton was down on that day to the keeper decision.

And interestingly with regard to Sheff Utd, having been told he was going to be dropped almost irrespective, I'm sure that any player under immense pressure would at times blame people for things that in truth they shouldn't do. he seems to get on well with Lynch now so I'm sure, like adults, they have all put it behind them.

I'm also sure there are many more dressing room bust ups that have occurred before and since that dont make such wide common knowledge. Who do you think would have benefited by the things in the bramall lane dressing room being made public? Potentially the man who is trying to justify spending money on a keeper who is not really any better than what we had.

My info was told to me on the way home from that match by someone who hadn't got any axe to grind with McGhee.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Yorkie said:
My info was told to me on the way home from that match by someone who hadn't got any axe to grind with McGhee.

I'm not doubting what you said or indeed that you had a source- however for something to be 'common knowledge' it takes more than telling a few fans. Unless it was you that made it common knowledge?

Now, having cleared up that i wasn't saying Kuipers had put in a transfer request after the southampton game, can we get back to discussing the point in hand in my post - which whilst I thought was a balanced piece reflecting the positives and minuses of each player trying to criticique and praise in equal measure appears to have been irrationally jumped on as unmitigated criticism of henderson.

That being - do we agree that one or other has to go now, if only to get the numbnuts in the crowd who are barracking him during games to stop.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ROSM said:
I'm not doubting what you said or indeed that you had a source- however for something to be 'common knowledge' it takes more than telling a few fans. Unless it was you that made it common knowledge?

Now, having cleared up that i wasn't saying Kuipers had put in a transfer request after the southampton game, can we get back to discussing the point in hand in my post - which whilst I thought was a balanced piece reflecting the positives and minuses of each player trying to criticique and praise in equal measure appears to have been irrationally jumped on as unmitigated criticism of henderson.

That being - do we agree that one or other has to go now, if only to get the numbnuts in the crowd who are barracking him during games to stop.

I don't see that selling either player is going to help. It leaves us with yet another youth player in reserve.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Ernest said:
The simple TRUTH is that neither Henderson or Kuipers are good enough or consistent enough and the sooner we sign a NEW goalkeeper the better it will be.

Is indeed the correct answer. then the pro kuipers and pro henderson faction can join forces to speak as one..............in criticism of the new guy :D

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the club will always go from here on in for Henderson over Kuipers on account of he's younger and there might be a snifter of a transfer fee profit to be made somewhere down the line.

Personally, I just don't like Henderson's hesitancy and the way he doesn't command his goal area like FDM does. AWAY!

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ernest said:
The simple TRUTH is that neither Henderson or Kuipers are good enough or consistent enough and the sooner we sign a NEW goalkeeper the better it will be.

The VOICE of REASON speaks again :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
FDM for me on satdi, not much to choose between Hendo & FDM, although they do have different goal keeping styles. Wilkins has to make the best use of the limited resources available and can't afford to stay loyal to individual players for too long. It may just be that a change in goalie may change our fortunes, it certainly can't do any harm, we haven't kept a clean sheet for ages and we are in a terrible losing streak, so it's worth a try.

There is no doubt that Hendo was at fault for Millwalls goal, it wasn't just the indecision, he had switched off and he was positioned far too deep when the defence had pushed up. It's pretty basic stuff and in that situation the goalie has to operate almost as a deep sweeper and in fact, in the second half he was much better, presumably someone had a word with him at half time. There were at least 2 occasions when the ball was played over the defence and because he was already near the edge of his box, he was able to clear easily. If he's going to continue to play, lets hope he learns quickly.

1066gull

From the founder of the Wayne Henderson fan club, and after seeing the goal on Meridan I announce we should have KUIPERS in goal.

Man of Harveys said:
Although...LI may feign incomprehension and accuse of you of "undermining our young players" if you're lucky enough, so you might have to live with that.
Gee thanks for that pointless jibe.

You really think that as someone who I assume believes that our players should be treated decently, you really think that the current treatment of Henderson at matches is an acceptable way for the Kuipers lobby to show their preferences? This is what I have objected to. The catcalls, the ironic cheers? You have no problem with this stuff at all? You genuinely don't believe it will undermine Henderson's confidence? :nono:

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
London Irish said:
The catcalls, the ironic cheers?

That is f***ing wrong, I agree. People singing for FDM when Hendo has just made a mistake is not going to help. But just because I think FDM should play in the next game, doesn't mean I'm slating Hendo. Players have dodgy runs of form, it happens.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
London Irish said:
Gee thanks for that pointless jibe.

You really think that as someone who I assume believes that our players should be treated decently, you really think that the current treatment of Henderson at matches is an acceptable way for the Kuipers lobby to show their preferences? This is what I have objected to. The catcalls, the ironic cheers? You have no problem with this stuff at all? You genuinely don't believe it will undermine Henderson's confidence? :nono:

You don't ever think Henderson should be dropped? You think he's perfect? You think a guaranteed place in the side with no competition is the best way to develop a talented but far from the finished article 'keeper? Would he have to do for you to criticise him and suggest that the other bloke might be worth a run because he's been crap recently? Throw it into his own net and run around cheering?

I can't work out whose puppy-eyed devotion is the more fervent, yours of Henderson or Gareth's Spielberg worship.

Yes - if he makes a mistake - and it isn't his first and I don't think Brighton fans are unduly harsh AT ALL towards him - then your idol DESERVES to be given shit from the crowd for it. Live with it, that's what happens and hopefully he'll learn from it, as he needs to. Your portrayal of him needs to grow up - I suspect he's nothing like as precious as you paint him. If he is, it'll be a short waste of a career, because he still has learning to do.

Last edited:

ROSM said:
interesting point - i wonder how much weight Keeley's view carries.
You wonder how much weight the goalkeeping coach's opinion carries in the goalkeeping selection debate? Pretty major surely? Bit more than Ken the kit man?

ROSM said:
annoying some of the investors over what they saw as a poor use of limited cash.
Do you seriously believe that Hendo is worth less than £20k in the open transfer market now?

Man of Harveys said:
You don't ever think Henderson should be dropped? You think he's perfect? You think a guaranteed place in the side with no competition is the best way to develop a talented but far from the finished article 'keeper? Would he have to do for you to criticise him and suggest that the other bloke might be worth a run because he's been crap recently? Throw it into his own net and run around cheering?

I can't work out whose puppy-eyed devotion is the more fervent, yours of Henderson or Gareth's Spielberg worship.

Yes - if he makes a mistake - and it isn't his first and I don't think Brighton fans are unduly harsh AT ALL towards him - then your idol DESERVES to be given shit from the crowd for it. Live with it, that's what happens and hopefully he'll learn from it, as he needs to. Your portrayal of him needs to grow up - I suspect he's nothing like as precious as you paint him. If he is, it'll be a short waste of a career, because he still has learning to do.

What a load of bollocks. My "idol"? :lolol:

I spent a considerable time on here last season arguing for Alan Blayney to be signed as our goalkeeper rather than Henderson. If I could turn the clock back, that is the option I would still go for because Blayney was very underrated on here.

I am now backing Hendo, not only because he is much better keeper than Kuipers, games I've watched at Southend and even Whitehawk last week proves that to me conclusively, but because his treatment at the hands of some of our most vociferous fans is a disgrace and he needs maximum support. And your defence of the boo-boy morons at the ground is incredibly sad :nono:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
London Irish said:
And your defence of the boo-boy morons at the ground is incredibly sad :nono:
Out of interest really, I'm just asking: what is the official LI-approved way for the generally-very supportive Brighton fans to show their displeasure at a goalkeeper who's made a few too many screw-ups recently and might benefit from being dropped in favour of another very good goalkeeper?

Please tell us how to behave because it's obvious - we obviously really need some guidance from you on this. So just say. Some guidance on how to behave is clearly needed from someone who's much better behaved.

After all, that way, when he does it again and someone at Withdean is MORONIC enough to express their displeasure at it (in a format yet to be decided, obviously), you won't have to run around saying "Stop it, you cruel bastards! You'll hurt his feelings!".

nobody's dupe said:
If I were the manager Kuipers not only would he never be in goal for the Albion again, he would never be on the bench again. I would have him train by himself, and he would only appear in the reserve side. That is the way to treat a player who goes down the tunnel at the end of the Bournemouth defeat with a grin on his face from ear to ear.

As much as that is not nice, it could be lived with if Keeley/Wilkins had confidence that he could come in and do a consistently better job. But it is apparant they don't have that confidence.

And virtually handing a goal to a County League team last week which had to be cleared off the line by an Albion defender is, for me, not going to change that situation among the management.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here