Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

• No

• I don’t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

• Other

• Fence

• I already have one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Yep, having owned a couple of Porsche, lovely cars, but the Porsche tax on parts is a piss take. A drivers rubber door seal on a Porsche 993 Targa is £600 and that does not include fitting. Avoid unless you are very rich or want to be seen in a Porsche!
That's my fear, I'm certainly not rich and even the SLK has given my wallet a kicking at times (both roof struts snapped, £1600 later!)
Although I can't imagine the GTR will be cheap to repair either, but what a motor.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If I hear a nice engine note from a nice car owned by someone considerably richer than me, my time is usually enhanced rather than ruined.

It takes all sorts. I can appreciate the design of a car, I’m as happy visiting Beaulieu as the next man.

I can appreciate that the number of cylinders in a combustion engine and their configuration affects the sound of an engine, but I would no more listen out for an engine note than I would spend time sniffing a car’s exhaust emissions.

The sound of a combustion engine is an unavoidable sound nuisance inherent to the combustion engine’s design, just like the shit they pump out the exhaust is an unavoidable environmental hazard.

Trying to make a benefit out of a drawback is an odd reaction, but I guess it’s part of romanticising something that we know is part of a wider environmental issue, but don’t really want to deal with.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sorry, what does that say exactly?
Every ICE vehicle requires water cooling and a radiator. They are only about 30 percent efficient and powered by fossil fuels that need to extracted and refined .

In contrast an electric motor is 90 percent efficient. About half of the electricity to power them is made from renewable sources and its rising every year .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We love very near Manchester and recently got the BMW iX 40 M Sport. If we set off for Brighton on 100% we can get all the way to Pease Pottage services where there are super fast chargers. We hook up for 10 mins, which gives us plenty to get to Brighton and do a few trips out with parents.

The return journey we set off on 100% and can get usually stop at Hilton Park or Norton Canes services, and plug in for 30mins whilst we grab a coffee and empty bladders.

I find these journeys no different to when we did them in the ICE car.
Junior you live an interesting double life. Last week you told us you were burning coal in every room and didn’t actually live in Didsbury at at all when challenged it was a no smoke area ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Every ICE vehicle requires water cooling and a radiator. They are only about 30 percent efficient and powered by fossil fuels that need to extracted and refined .

In contrast an electric motor is 90 percent efficient. About half of the electricity to power them is made from renewable sources and its rising every year .

But the lithium for EV batteries requires extracting and eventually disposal, which is not green. They're not a perfect solution.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Trying to make a benefit out of a drawback is an odd reaction, but I guess it’s part of romanticising something that we know is part of a wider environmental issue

No, you're talking nonsense. Car enthusiasts have enjoyed the sound of some cars for many decades, long before there was any environmental concern or any electric alternative. My dad took the stereo out of one of his cars because he thought it would be stupid to not be able to hear the car. He was right. It's nothing to do with trying to make a benefit, it's an honest opinion.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
But the lithium for EV batteries requires extracting and eventually disposal, which is not green. They're not a perfect solution.
Manufacturing anything requires the planets resources, battery technology is improving all the time.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
No, you're talking nonsense. Car enthusiasts have enjoyed the sound of some cars for many decades, long before there was any environmental concern or any electric alternative. My dad took the stereo out of one of his cars because he thought it would be stupid to not be able to hear the car. He was right. It's nothing to do with trying to make a benefit, it's an honest opinion.

We’ll just have to agree to differ on this one. I’m off now to listen to a compilation of “fridge/freezers of the 1990s”, that Hotpoint compressor is a real classic of its time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Charging points? A lot more. We have one on our road and the bloke who has a Tesla and lives opposite it constantly hogs it.

Range? There’s a new one pedal Polestar that can get 400 miles which seems about right. But it’s not in our budget.
Fair enough. I'm genuinely fascinated with people's responses here, especially given their experience (or lack of) of actually living with an EV.

It can take a bit of planning, but if people follow the 'charge when you need to stop' approach, instead of 'stop when you need to charge' talk of 400 mile ranges go out of the window. If you're doing more than, say, 300 miles, it's probably a good idea to take a break anyway, so plan somewhere with a charger.

As for the number of chargers, clearly it's an issue for people with no off-street parking. But there are loads of options in the pipeline, including battery swapping (in not convinced on that one, personally), people who will come along and charge your car with a mobile unit, or just charging smarter (charge it to 100%at the weekend and it could last you all week, for example).

There's a long way to go - and a lot of cars to be electrified - so clearly people are going to be concerned. What makes me laugh is how people swallow or parrot the misinformation they hear.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We’ll just have to agree to differ on this one.

You disagree that some people like the sound of cars? I didn't say we should all like it. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that you don't. But it is a fact that some people do.

I don't know how you can disagree with that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Manufacturing anything requires the planets resources, battery technology is improving all the time.

Yes it is, and hopefully it'll get to the point that we all agree that electric is best. But we're not there yet.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It has to be said, @nicko31, your approach here does seem to be a little, er, inconsistent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough. I'm genuinely fascinated with people's responses here, especially given their experience (or lack of) of actually living with an EV.

It can take a bit of planning, but if people follow the 'charge when you need to stop' approach, instead of 'stop when you need to charge' talk of 400 mile ranges go out of the window. If you're doing more than, say, 300 miles, it's probably a good idea to take a break anyway, so plan somewhere with a charger.

As for the number of chargers, clearly it's an issue for people with no off-street parking. But there are loads of options in the pipeline, including battery swapping (in not convinced on that one, personally), people who will come along and charge your car with a mobile unit, or just charging smarter (charge it to 100%at the weekend and it could last you all week, for example).

There's a long way to go - and a lot of cars to be electrified - so clearly people are going to be concerned. What makes me laugh is how people swallow or parrot the misinformation they hear.
I'm surprised that people who don't have an EV are aware how many charge points there are and that it's insufficient, certainly when talking about undertaking a long journeys.

From travelling with @Papa Lazarou to and from Stoke away last year, on and around the motorway network, they seemed to be everywhere.

And if you don't make many long journeys, it's neither here nor there anyway.

Number of chargers in residential streets could be an issue if you are unable to charge at home, and I can see that being a legitimate concern for some.

But even those seem to becoming more prevalent. In my mum's small residential road in Goring, eight have been installed recently. The problem there is on-street parking is very much in demand, so the charger spaces seem to be often filled with ICE vehicles as, presumably, the owners have nowhere else to park. I guess that will become less of an issue as EV ownership gradually expands.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
You disagree that some people like the sound of cars? I didn't say we should all like it. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that you don't. But it is a fact that some people do.

I don't know how you can disagree with that.

What we’re agreeing to disagree on is that when you hear a Ferrari, you touch where you think your forelock is and murmur “I’m not worthy to look at the fine gentleman, but my what a beautiful noise”, whereas I tend to think “you’re at a traffic light, you’re revving your engine, your need for attention and validation is truly that of a small child.”

I fully accept that there are people who will make a virtue out of a combustion engine’s faults (they’re noisy) but as I feel we’ve established I’m not one of them, while you are.

Now you leave me to my listening, there’s an AEG with a double-compressor up next, when it comes back from defrost mode it’s like Sterns in its heyday.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

And that’s the thing. All the time you need off street parking to make it viable it’ll be a middle class conceit, like getting to pick a diet or buying a new build eco home. The sooner we can make this all affordable and convenient the better for the planet.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

Wrong! Air cooled Porsche, VW and Citroen 2CV are not water cooled

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I'm surprised that people who don't have an EV are aware how many charge points there are and that it's insufficient, certainly when talking about undertaking a long journeys.

From travelling with @Papa Lazarou to and from Stoke away last year, on and around the motorway network, they seemed to be everywhere.

And if you don't make many long journeys, it's neither here nor there anyway.

Number of chargers in residential streets could be an issue if you are unable to charge at home, and I can see that being a legitimate concern for some.

But even those seem to becoming more prevalent. In my mum's small residential road in Goring, eight have been installed recently. The problem there is on-street parking is very much in demand, so the charger spaces seem to be often filled with ICE vehicles as, presumably, the owners have nowhere else to park. I guess that will become less of an issue as EV ownership gradually expands.
Pays your money make your choice. You are a convert, I’m not. No right or wrong imo. Enjoy your EV, you will be buying one.

Was it you who removed the option to view who voted what?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
What we’re agreeing to disagree on is that when you hear a Ferrari, you touch where you think your forelock is and murmur “I’m not worthy to look at the fine gentleman, but my what a beautiful noise”, whereas I tend to think “you’re at a traffic light, you’re revving your engine, your need for attention and validation is truly that of a small child.”

I fully accept that there are people who will make a virtue out of a combustion engine’s faults (they’re noisy) but as I feel we’ve established I’m not one of them, while you are.

Now you leave me to my listening, there’s an AEG with a double-compressor up next, when it comes back from defrost mode it’s like Sterns in its heyday.
Big chip on your shoulder

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Yeah, not sure you've quite nailed this mind-reading thing yet. I'm also not interested in someone revving their engine for no reason, but I like the sound of some cars as they drive. I like racing cars and watching cars race, which I'm guessing isn't your thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here