Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

• No

• I don’t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

• Other

• Fence

• I already have one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We love very near Manchester and recently got the BMW iX 40 M Sport. If we set off for Brighton on 100% we can get all the way to Pease Pottage services where there are super fast chargers. We hook up for 10 mins, which gives us plenty to get to Brighton and do a few trips out with parents.

The return journey we set off on 100% and can get usually stop at Hilton Park or Norton Canes services, and plug in for 30mins whilst we grab a coffee and empty bladders.

I find these journeys no different to when we did them in the ICE car.
Yep. I’ve got an Audi E-Tron and we can get from Haywards Heath to Cornwall with a 20-30 minute stop at Exeter services. Which is pretty much exactly what we would have done in my previous petrol car.

I drove to the South of France in it in the Summer too. Easy.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I rest my case for one of the reasons I don’t like EVs.

I am not knocking, just saying it’s not for me, I understand the advantages and I have a drive and garage so could easily buy an EV. I just don’t want one.

I think you’ve confused volume with desirability. Everyone looks at a person that’s shouting, but it’s rarely with envy, it’s usually with a mixture of compassion and concern.

The same holds true for those who fit “sports exhausts” to their ten year old VW or Honda. They might score with impressionable 15yo’s, but if you’re old enough to drive, you should probably be keeping a certain distance from impressionable 15yo’s.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I think you’ve confused volume with desirability. Everyone looks at a person that’s shouting, but it’s rarely with envy, it’s usually with a mixture of compassion and concern.

The same holds true for those who fit “sports exhausts” to their ten year old VW or Honda. They might score with impressionable 15yo’s, but if you’re old enough to drive, you should probably be keeping a certain distance from impressionable 15yo’s.
No you are confused between the sound of a sports car exhaust note and a chav mobile exhaust note. No comparison

I’ll live with your compassion and concern as I pootle by in my sports car in town. I just hope a hard of hearing person doesn’t step out in front of your silent car. Don’t be too smug

Last edited:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
My concern used to distance but that appears to have been improved. My concern now is how the batteries perform in say 5 or 10 years time - do you ever need to replace them ? If so that could be expensive.
This is what i have heard , and what becomes of the old batteries ? there could be a lot of them ...

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It really depends on how much the infrastructure has built up in order for me to be able to travel long distances with an EV.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
No you are confused between the sound of a sports car exhaust note and a chav mobile exhaust note. No comparison

I’ll live with your compassion and concern as I pootle by in my sports car in town. I just hope a hard of hearing person doesn’t step out in front of your silent car.

There’s no real difference. The first is a rich bloke ruining everyone else’s nice time by making an intrusive anti-social noise, the second is a poor bloke ruining everyone else’s nice time by making an intrusive anti-social noise.

In both cases there’s a flawed individual with a desperate need to be noticed at the root of it, just with different levels of cash available to them.

And yes, you will live with my compassion and concern, as you prioritise your need to be noticed over everyone else’s ambient environment.

I hope maturity reaches you eventually, and you find some peace within yourself.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
We love very near Manchester and recently got the BMW iX 40 M Sport. If we set off for Brighton on 100% we can get all the way to Pease Pottage services where there are super fast chargers. We hook up for 10 mins, which gives us plenty to get to Brighton and do a few trips out with parents.

The return journey we set off on 100% and can get usually stop at Hilton Park or Norton Canes services, and plug in for 30mins whilst we grab a coffee and empty bladders.

I find these journeys no different to when we did them in the ICE car.
Our usual routine, even with young 2 kids, is get in the car and barring a toilet emergency we don't get out until we've reached our destination. Having a car that is unable to match our bladders is just not going to happen.

Although by the time I'm able to afford an EV I'll probably only need about 15 miles of range.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
There’s no real difference. The first is a rich bloke ruining everyone else’s nice time by making an intrusive anti-social noise, the second is a poor bloke ruining everyone else’s nice time by making an intrusive anti-social noise.

In both cases there’s a flawed individual with a desperate need to be noticed at the root of it, just with different levels of cash available to them.

And yes, you will live with my compassion and concern, as you prioritise your need to be noticed over everyone else’s ambient environment.

I hope maturity reaches you eventually, and you find some peace within yourself.
Wow, so you have decided that any one who owns and drives a nice ICE sports car needs sympathy for intruding on your ears? Not sure I can carry this on without being much ruder than you are being, so I’ll leave it there. It has absolutely nothing to do with being noticed as I tend to use my “noisy” car on long runs or abroad, not in town unless I need to go through a town to get to an open road.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I voted no, but if I was forced to it would be this one, as modern styling is pretty pathetic. Shame about the Tesla batteries though:

Your husband is the boss isn’t he, do you also have a desire for an electric Lambretta? :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is exactly me. But Mrs GB likes driving and muggins here pays the insurance and petrol. Therefore I answered no as her opinion is that there needs to be better range and more charge points.
Same. Mrs HT does all the driving. We don’ have a car and use a care-sharing app when we do. There’s a company called Miles which always has cars no more than a block or two away.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

If I hear a nice engine note from a nice car owned by someone considerably richer than me, my time is usually enhanced rather than ruined.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Nope.
Only decision I have to make is do I sell the Merc and use the money to get a Cayman or do I keep the Merc a little longer and save for a Nissan GTR?
I'm thinking the latter.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
Interesting that all of the people who have posted about range anxiety don't have EVs, and those that do have EVs say it isn't a problem for them. Outside of the edge cases (people driving up and down the country all week) there seem to be EVs that do the job easily.

On the range anxiety: I recently drove up to Edinburgh in my EV. I stopped a couple of times each way (after around 3 hours driving each time) and recharged without any problems. The car could likely have done it with only one stop, but I decided that 4.5 hours sitting behind the wheel without a break was a bit much for me.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Nope.
Only decision I have to make is do I sell the Merc and use the money to get a Cayman or do I keep the Merc a little longer and save for a Nissan GTR?
I'm thinking the latter.
Yep, having owned a couple of Porsche, lovely cars, but the Porsche tax on parts is a piss take. A drivers rubber door seal on a Porsche 993 Targa is £600 and that does not include fitting. Avoid unless you are very rich or want to be seen in a Porsche!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here