Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

• No

• I don’t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

• Other

• Fence

• I already have one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Are EVs not just old hat now, waiting to be replaced by hydrogen powered transport? I was reading that Hyundai are already promising massive hydrogen production by 2030, brought forward from 2035, and that they launch a new hydrogen powered model in 2025.

Yes they have similar refuelling issues right now as electric did historically, and their efficiency was questioned but these problems are/will be addressed. There are those who doubt that hydrogen will actually come to fruition as the dominant fuel source but technology is evolving fast. The fact that the third biggest car maker in the world is pushing so hard speaks volumes.

So for now I shall keep on burning dinosaur droppings.
No. If anyone thinks the EV charging infrastructure is inadequate, I suggest they don't look at how/where you can refuel with hydrogen.

Manufacturers having been banging on about hydrogen and fuel cells for decades. A senior engineer at GM told me back in the early 2000s that the company would have one million FCVs on the road within the decade...

Hydrogen has its place, but that's more likely to be in trucks than cars and vans. For a while, anyway.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It’s the sort of weird argument my Mum would use against EVs. As if they are randomly going to conk out with absolutely no way of you knowing when the charge is getting low. It’s a completely ridiculous argument 🤣
Also, if you really do run out of charge, there is a (growing) fleet of AA vans (others are available, I'm sure) who will come and charge the vehicle. Just like when you run out of fuel!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
'Under any circumstances'. Wow.

Why not?
1. Range. Under no circumstances am I going to worry about whether I have sufficient "fuel" to reach my destination; or spend half an hour waiting for a recharging point to become available; or drive around looking for one.
2. They are less green than people are led to believe.
3. What happens to the batteries at end of life? How much does it cost to get a new one.
4. I would absolutely hate being seen driving one.
That's just for starters.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Also, if you really do run out of charge, there is a (growing) fleet of AA vans (others are available, I'm sure) who will come and charge the vehicle. Just like when you run out of fuel!
Yep. And I would wager a large proportion of the ‘there aren’t enough charging points’ brigade have absolutely no idea how many there are.

IMG_6669.jpeg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just out of interest - and not trying to start a binfest - how many miles would you like and how many more charge points (public, I'm assuming, as opposed to home/businesses)?
Charging points? A lot more. We have one on our road and the bloke who has a Tesla and lives opposite it constantly hogs it.

Range? There’s a new one pedal Polestar that can get 400 miles which seems about right. But it’s not in our budget.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
1. Range. Under no circumstances am I going to worry about whether I have sufficient "fuel" to reach my destination; or spend half an hour waiting for a recharging point to become available; or drive around looking for one.
2. They are less green than people are led to believe.
3. What happens to the batteries at end of life? How much does it cost to get a new one.
4. I would absolutely hate being seen driving one.
That's just for starters.
1. How often do you drive more than 200 miles in one sitting?
2. Maybe. But still better than an ICE
3. I am yet to meet anyone who has got to the end of the battery life on their electric car
4. Grow up FFS 🤣

You might as well have just said “I’m an old man who doesn’t like change”.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Charging points? A lot more. We have one on our road and the bloke who has a Tesla and lives opposite it constantly hogs it.

Range? There’s a new one pedal Polestar that can get 400 miles which seems about right. But it’s not in our budget.
I wouldn’t get an EV if I couldn’t have a charger at home. Would be a pain in the arse. That is one big issue facing them still. All new builds have to have them now though, but that’s what is going to hold them back from completely taking over.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
OK which mod removed the ability to see who voted what on the poll and why???

Surprised the voting is close to 50/50

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wouldn’t get an EV if I couldn’t have a charger at home. Would be a pain in the arse. That is one big issue facing them still. All new builds have to have them now though, but that’s what is going to hold them back from completely taking over.
Yup that’s our issue. Stop off points on a drive are getting better but it’s a bit of a gamble if you’re on half charge and Johnny Tesla is on the communal charger.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I think quite a few people still feel quite strongly that they don’t want an EV and prefer a lighter more nimble better sounding ICE vehicle so I doubt they’ll ever take over completely until there is no choice. Some won’t even switch from a manual to a PDK/automatic

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No because I couldn’t charge it at home and installing the stuff isn’t an option, but if I lived somewhere I could then I might consider it

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Voted yes. And it'd be a VW ID.7 Tourer with the bigger battery, or whatever else comes out between now and when I change cars next.

My tipping point has always been enough range to be able to get to or from Manchester on a single charge, on top of that it needs to be an estate, not an SUV and also it can't be a Tesla.

In an ideal world it'd be able to do a full round trip without needing a charge but I only do that once a year or so these days, so if I have to find an off motorway fast charger somewhere on the way back then so be it.
We love very near Manchester and recently got the BMW iX 40 M Sport. If we set off for Brighton on 100% we can get all the way to Pease Pottage services where there are super fast chargers. We hook up for 10 mins, which gives us plenty to get to Brighton and do a few trips out with parents.

The return journey we set off on 100% and can get usually stop at Hilton Park or Norton Canes services, and plug in for 30mins whilst we grab a coffee and empty bladders.

I find these journeys no different to when we did them in the ICE car.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I think quite a few people still feel quite strongly that they don’t want an EV and prefer a lighter more nimble better sounding ICE vehicle so I doubt they’ll ever take over completely until there is no choice. Some won’t even switch from a manual to a PDK/automatic
Are people really worried about their cars making a vroom vroom noise when they drive?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Are people really worried about their cars making a vroom vroom noise when they drive?
Well I prefer to hear a nice exhaust note over a sewing machine noise but each to their own :shrug:

The pitch of the engine noise is part of driving a manual car, you either get it or you don’t

Many don’t given how much they over rev their engines, the auto gearbox is a godsend for them :lolol:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
My id4 is quieter than a noisy sewing machine.
I rest my case for one of the reasons I don’t like EVs.

I am not knocking, just saying it’s not for me, I understand the advantages and I have a drive and garage so could easily buy an EV. I just don’t want one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here