Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] If you could afford it would your next car be an EV?

If you could afford it would your next car be an EV

• Yes

• No

• I don’t drive and have no interest in getting a driving licence

• Other

• Fence

• I already have one

Results are only viewable after voting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not at the moment for our ‘main’ vehicle. Need much longer range to convince me. ‘Forced’ stops on long journeys (awaydays mostly), with potential waits for charging points and expensive to use don’t appeal. I comfortably did Everton and back on a single tank of fuel. However, Mrs D’s little (and very old) runabout needs replacing very soon and will be looking at getting an EV for that as all journeys are short and we can easily put a socket on the house. Only issue is the cost of the vehicle relative to the amount of mileage it’s likely to do - her current ICE costs absolute buttons to run.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But that's my point. I popped up to Holmbush earlier and saw a BP Pulse sign. I followed it around and there's a bank of 50kW chargers in the M&S car park. Pop to the shops/cafe and potentially charge your car for the week. A charger outside your house would be great but it's not essential.

Like I said before, how many drivers have a fuel station outside their front door?
they dont, though they can fill up in less than 5 minutes on the way to work or the shops. the charging at home becomes an issue because it's supposed to avoid the problems of charging away from home. i.e. you cant get a charge space out, or takes time, or it's expensive, so solution charge at home.

it shouldnt be a deal breaker but its an inconvenience, and probably importantly for most, a change of behaviour. once people just accept a weekly, bi-weekly, or daily trip to the municiple charge park, they'll settle into it, might see a new social movement around it. they can talk about the rising cost of road pricing and spot electricity prices over a coffee.

that spot price will be the most significant issue to adoption eventually, as we transfer energy use from fossils to electric while not building out enough capcity to cover. i think at about 30-35% vehicles being EV the energy use will be more than current total electric consumption. seeing as we're struggling to get zero emissions on present electric output, that may be a problem and lead to some very expensive prices. forget about cheap overnight charging, that'll become peak time for the EV fleet to charge. need to build a substantial base of always on energy production in next 10 years for widespread EV use to work. yes nuclear, as wind wont cut it to get where we want to be, need total electric supply increased by 3-4x, or 8x to cover domestic heating too.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ll be moving over to an EV in the near month or so. I think I’ll have less than a dozen journeys per year where I’d worry about range as I’ll be getting a home charger and do mostly local journeys.

This thread has confirmed my belief that it’s the right decision for me but I can see why these cars don’t suit a lot of people.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Absolutely not.

No interest in driving a glorified golf cart.

Pefer my 1995 4.0. V8 Supercharged XKR or my new (to me) GSXR1000.

I just love the smell and noise of the internal combustion engine and IDGAF if Greta hates me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it shouldnt be a deal breaker but its an inconvenience, and probably importantly for most, a change of behaviour.
I remember similar arguments when we were encouraged to use a bag-4-life when going shopping and a reusable coffee cup. Many people overcome this….quite easily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here