Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If not Wilkins then who?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Most insurances pay out on suicides. FACT.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Joe royle

Heres Joe Royle's stats as a manager.

Managerial stats
Team Nat From To Record
G W L D Win %
Oldham Athletic July 14, 1982 November 10, 1994 608 225 218 165 37.00
Everton November 10, 1994 March 27,1997 118 47 35 36 39.83
Manchester City February 18, 1998 May 21, 2001 171 74 50 47 43.27
Ipswich Town October 28, 2002 May 11, 2006 189 81 60 48 42.85

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Heres Joe Royle's stats as a manager.

Managerial stats
Team Nat From To Record
G W L D Win %
Oldham Athletic July 14, 1982 November 10, 1994 608 225 218 165 37.00
Everton November 10, 1994 March 27,1997 118 47 35 36 39.83
Manchester City February 18, 1998 May 21, 2001 171 74 50 47 43.27
Ipswich Town October 28, 2002 May 11, 2006 189 81 60 48 42.85

Well he cant be as bad as wilkins!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Oh yes it will, I only have a 12 month suicide clause in my life assurance policy from the date I first took it out three years ago.

THUD

I am sorry, i was not aware of the clause, i will now sleep so much better knowing that if / when you commit suicide, the payout will still go ahead.

(having said that, i still can't sleep, and have nightmares, since seeing you dressed up at cheltenham last season :lolol:)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Just a question, but how much money do you think Martin Jol is on at Spurs ? do you think he would be prepared to take a 95% pay cut to come here :lolol: and as i said earlier, even he would not be able to do anything with the squd we have at the moment...................let me put it this way..............i am a regional manager with a major developer, and i deal,daily, with sub contractors, if i am sent a guy who cant lay bricks to save his life, however good i am, i aint never going to be able to teach him those skills (well not in a reasonable amount of time)...possibly a bit of a poor example, but the meaning is there.

Ridiculous thread. After just three league games and people are already discussing Wilkins' future.
But Martin Jol for the Albion??!! What planet are you living on?

Last edited:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
what is the rush to get rid of wilkins !

give the bloke a chance

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
what is the rush to get rid of wilkins !

give the bloke a chance

How long?

Why wait he has had nearly a full year in charge. Two transfer windows, a full pre-season..and the club are going backwards.

The gates are the lowest ever at withdean, the fans will not pay to watch what his team are dishing up.

We dont sack him today, that is a little too soon....But considering the way we finished last season and have started this one...its got to change...

Two more poor performances over the next two home games and no win in either will make the mind up of the ones who are still holding onto the thread of hope that wilkins will change into a decent manager...so far there are no signs to be confident on that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Not that I'm doubting it, but I haven't heard Warnock say this. Some people are saying 'he has said it several times..' When and where did Warnock say he wanted the Albion job? Was it in an interview when someone said 'Would you like to manage Brighton & Hove Albion?' or 'Which club would you like to manage?'

Anyone? :shrug:

Here's one example (the post that I made was from the BBC website - preseason 2005) He has also said similar in a programme but I haven't got the time to find which one at present. I will do soon
http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?t=42243&highlight=Warnock

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Ridiculous thread. After just three league games and people are already discussing Wilkins' future.
But Martin Jol for the Albion??!! What planet are you living on?

Errm........i take it you are not referring to me ? you have quoted my post and then asked me "what planet am i living on"........ the same one as you actually.

If you read closely and to other posts i have made, firstly i believe we should stick it out with Wilkins, secondly i also believe that Martin Jol would have to be on serious amounts of cocaine to come to our lovely little football club at the moment.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Errm........i take it you are not referring to me ? you have quoted my post and then asked me "what planet am i living on"........ the same one as you actually.

If you read closely and to other posts i have made, firstly i believe we should stick it out with Wilkins, secondly i also believe that Martin Jol would have to be on serious amounts of cocaine to come to our lovely little football club at the moment.

Sorry hitony this was a mistake. I meant of course the poster you replied to.
I'm glad we agree.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I am not thinking of a winner, I don't think we have the squad or the resources to hire one. I think we need someone who can work with what we have got and maybe bring in a few players from non-league, or that other clubs don't want, as he did at Torquay and compete. With the best will in the world even with Alex Ferguson in charge we'd maybe make the play offs with the current squad. That is not me being negative it is just a fact.

I do think things will get better in seasons to come, but fight now we need to simply stay in this division.

Even with Alex Ferguson in charge we would, in my opinion, do little better than we are now. He wouldn't make them better players by shouting at them. They are the players they are and we can't afford better. The same has been true during most stages of our history.

Our problem is money and until we get more of it from whatever source nothing will change. Even then there are no guarantees. The history of football is littered with clubs who have had big cash injections, spent on managers/players/grounds and STILL have not achieved anything significantly better, or have even been relegated.

We have no divine right to success and some people on here need a reality check.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Easier to write about managers you wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
Here's one ; Martin Allen. Great self-promotion but his teams don't usually get promoted. Big ego; not particularly good manager. His failure to get one of the richest teams in League 2 up last season was blatant failure.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
jean tigana

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Have the experiences of Horton, Adams, Taylor, Coppell and McGhee become 'well known' in management circles dictating that anyone of any quality will not touch us with a barge pole?

what experiences might they be?

Horton on his uppers, gets a job and then moves onto a new one at his first club and near his girlfriend

Adams - out of work and gets a job. Chairman sticks with him when crowd call for his head and goes on to win a title, sets the ground for a second and within 7 months is managing in the premiership

Or Taylor who has his career picked up, gets a title and then bottles it before Coppell almost does the job on the same money and with all others having a 13 game start

Or was it Coppell who was assistant at Swindon and then within 2 years us managing a club challenging for promotion to the premiership

Or perhaps Mcghee who is probably the one manager with cause for complaint(not that i disagreed with his sacking) after losing the crowd.

As Adams and Coppell are regularly seen in contact with Knight, that must be the most telling part.

So if their experiences are known then I'm sure we should have a long list of managers looking to have thier career saved!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here