Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If not Wilkins then who?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
You can get Alex Ferguson or Jose or maybe Martin Jol in time to come, if you like.............but none of them are going to be able to make the squad we have, play any better, and as much as big named managers might be able to attract named players, we just aint got the moneys available to pay them.

Constantly changing managers is not good for any team, probably best to stick with what we have, in my opinion.

Nice Mr Hilter

We would win the division so convincingly, that we'd be promoted straight into the Prem, bypassing the Championship.

The only pitfall would be the player's wives and girlfriends all desirous, which might dislodge a few of the player's gruntles. So, I'd have to wear a Dave the Guffer mask.

I'd get Leon back in, to remind the players about humility

Results so far this season ...

Real Sociedad 0 Castellón 2

Having been relegated last season, Real must have been expecting a much better start than a 2-0 defeat at home to a club that finished last season in the bottom half of the 2ª división A.

Coleman OUT! There's a job lined up for you elsewhere.

Mar 10, 2006
Warnock would be ideal but I can't see that happening. Not to sure about Adam's coming back but if the papers are right it does seem that a certain Martin Allen may be on his way after falling out with Mandaric. Looking at these 3 they all have one thing in common and that is they motivate which is what we desperately need right now.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
DK has said himself we always have a decent list of applicants. I cant see many managers doing worse than Wilkins to be honest, the end of last season was the worst football I have ever seen.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Neil Warnock. Or Martin Jol if and when Spurs sack him. Warnock has expressed a desire to manage Albion; and Jol - witness his remarks about the Albion after the cup tie at WHL two seasons ago - recognises the club's potential. It's a long shot, I know, but could Micky Adams be tempted to take his leave of the bright lights of Colchester?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Neil Warnock. Or Martin Jol if and when Spurs sack him. Warnock has expressed a desire to manage Albion; and Jol - witness his remarks about the Albion after the cup tie at WHL two seasons ago - recognises the club's potential. It's a long shot, I know, but could Micky Adams be tempted to take his leave of the bright lights of Colchester?

Just a question, but how much money do you think Martin Jol is on at Spurs ? do you think he would be prepared to take a 95% pay cut to come here :lolol: and as i said earlier, even he would not be able to do anything with the squd we have at the moment...................let me put it this way..............i am a regional manager with a major developer, and i deal,daily, with sub contractors, if i am sent a guy who cant lay bricks to save his life, however good i am, i aint never going to be able to teach him those skills (well not in a reasonable amount of time)...possibly a bit of a poor example, but the meaning is there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not that I'm doubting it, but I haven't heard Warnock say this. Some people are saying 'he has said it several times..' When and where did Warnock say he wanted the Albion job? Was it in an interview when someone said 'Would you like to manage Brighton & Hove Albion?' or 'Which club would you like to manage?'

Anyone? :shrug:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Not that I'm doubting it, but I haven't heard Warnock say this. Some people are saying 'he has said it several times..' When and where did Warnock say he wanted the Albion job? Was it in an interview when someone said 'Would you like to manage Brighton & Hove Albion?' or 'Which club would you like to manage?'

Anyone? :shrug:

Usually in interviews after games against us (just after his team has beaten us!)

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Just a question, but how much money do you think Martin Jol is on at Spurs ? do you think he would be prepared to take a 95% pay cut to come here :lolol: and as i said earlier, even he would not be able to do anything with the squd we have at the moment...................let me put it this way..............i am a regional manager with a major developer, and i deal,daily, with sub contractors, if i am sent a guy who cant lay bricks to save his life, however good i am, i aint never going to be able to teach him those skills (well not in a reasonable amount of time)...possibly a bit of a poor example, but the meaning is there.

I take your point. But high-calibre managers like Adams, Taylor, Coppell and McGhee were persuaded to manage the team when Falmer was little more than a twinkle in Martin Perry's eye. With the new stadium on the horizon, the club should be able to persuade a manager of like stature to join. Of course, securing the services of a high-profile manager will not guarantee success; but it is less likely to result in the club being in L2 when the new stadium is ready. L2, I fear, is where we are heading under Wilkins (though I hope to God that he makes me eat my words).

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
I take your point. But high-calibre managers like Adams, Taylor, Coppell and McGhee were persuaded to manage the team when Falmer was little more than a twinkle in Martin Perry's eye. With the new stadium on the horizon, the club should be able to persuade a manager of like stature to join. Of course, securing the services of a high-profile manager will not guarantee success; but it is less likely to result in the club being in L2 when the new stadium is ready. L2, I fear, is where we are heading under Wilkins (though I hope to God that he makes me eat my words).

Personally i dont think we will attract anything like big names (Managers or Players) until Falmer is just about built and ready to play on.

As for past managers like you have mentioned, it is nothing more than my opinion, but i dont think any of the named managers (probably with the exception of Mark Mcghee) had any intention of staying at Brighton, i honestly feel that we were nothing more than a "stepping stone" for them, possibly even just a "stop gap" but thats all history now.

I think Wilkins will keep us out of League 2 (and i pray you eat your words as well :lolol::thumbsup:) what i do consider important, is stability, and constantly changing managers will not create any form of stability, whoever comes in.

Lets just hope some of the youngsters in the team come good and start performing, and maybe, just MAYBE, we sign the odd player that will help move things in the right direction.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Joe royle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here