Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If not Wilkins then who?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
If the mood of this board is echoed at 'Casa Dick' and Dean is dismissed, although in my opinion its far too early to even contemplate that, then who will Knight get to take over?
I believe after the sacking of Mark McGhee the quality of appilcants was probably at its lowest since the days of Archer and co.
Its not rocket science, people in football talk.
Have the experiences of Horton, Adams, Taylor, Coppell and McGhee become 'well known' in management circles dictating that anyone of any quality will not touch us with a barge pole?
Maybe Falmer will be a factor to any would be applicants but 3 years plus is a long time at any club.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
There are always decent managers out there who have families to feed and a hunger for football.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Not the most attractive job in the league yet , but maybe in two years time yes .. as for the money side , again i dont think we are paying enough that side , we can only speculate on that but attracting somebody of decent calibre will be hard , with perhaps best option on an untried former player , but we all know where that route is possibly going ... For me i would at least stick with wilkins until a few more games say mid sept/oct then take stock of the situation .

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
He can say it again and again but I'd wager he is sitting tight waiting for the first championship sacking.

And Colin also said he didn't want to manage in the lower leagues again on Soccer AM a few eeeks back.

Deano could have been thr right man, but was not what we needed at this time, as I have said before, but there is no point getting rid of him now. Which sounds hypocritical I know, but I am not sure anyone else will do much better with what they have to work with.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Alarm bells ringing but too early to think about sacking him imo. He's had a year in the job and I'm not sure there has been much improvement, although the younsgters have a years more experience. He needs at least 12/15 games before we even contemplate getting shot imo.

If we do go looking for a new manager, it has to be one with plenty of experience, not another rookie, who fits the bill that's available and would come here. I'm discounting Warnock and Adams as I don't think either would be interested with the current finances. Not many of the right calibre that are realistic imo. I can't think of one.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Someone who may be a bit cheaper and who has experience of manaing on a budget at a lower level is Leroy Rosenior.

Not exactly a winner though is he ? Took Torquay up granted but then what happened ? We need (as Ernest would say) a tried and tested mamanger and there are plenty of those about. You wonder whether a certain Michael Adams might be interested in leaving his assistant's position at Colchester, that in itself would be a very popular decision.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Not exactly a winner though is he ? Took Torquay up granted but then what happened ? We need (as Ernest would say) a tried and tested mamanger and there are plenty of those about. You wonder whether a certain Michael Adams might be interested in leaving his assistant's position at Colchester, that in itself would be a very popular decision.

I am not thinking of a winner, I don't think we have the squad or the resources to hire one. I think we need someone who can work with what we have got and maybe bring in a few players from non-league, or that other clubs don't want, as he did at Torquay and compete. With the best will in the world even with Alex Ferguson in charge we'd maybe make the play offs with the current squad. That is not me being negative it is just a fact.

I do think things will get better in seasons to come, but fight now we need to simply stay in this division.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Let Brian Clough have another shot.

What? Oh. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here