Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a football club's fans behave like these RUDDY students (Merged)

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I refer you to Pot Noddles post which sums it up perfectly. Take that and the fact that graduates won't actually have to pay more each month for these larger loans and it shows what a pathetic campaign the students have run.

I'll ask you all again. Why is more not done to penalise the twunts who created this mess? Rather than letting the bankers continue to earn huge salaries, receive gross bonuses and then get massive payouts (such as the one handed out to Freddie Goodwin), couldn't we maybe, just maybe, recover some of the deficit off their own backs?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Very easy to say when, as you point out, you did get it for free. I would point out that:

1. You've hit the nail on the head with what a lot of the younger generations feel - that basically the previous generation had the welfare state and the chance for social mobility, and now they've got it they don't really give a toss about the next one - quite happy to see massive student debts, impossibly high property ladders etc.

2. The assumption here is that university students will go on to earn massive bucks - whereas in reality there are a lot of massively important vocations that require a degree yet pay less than 20k.

3. Its fair enough to say you have to pay for things but, when things are paid for, there are ultimately always going to be those who are unable to afford them (or are put off by the price). Do you really want future generations of doctors, teachers, nurses, military leaders, politicians to be those who can afford it, rather than those who would be the most talented?

Most of which is mentioned in this EXCELLENT book, along with lots of fascinating stuff on the housing market. In a nutshell, if you were born after 1979 (and I wasn't), you're pretty f***ed. Recommend this book a lot...

51hG4ptLtuL._SS500_.jpg

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If you can pick out a thousand troublemakers in a crowd of twenty thousand without anyone else getting in the way, trying to intervene, getting hurt, picking up the wrong person, getting a kicking yourself...then you're a better copper than I am.

Besides...how many police do you think it takes to control a thousand troublemakers?

Only takes one tree, to make 1000 matches
Only takes one match, to burn A thousand trees

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
If you can pick out a thousand troublemakers in a crowd of twenty thousand without anyone else getting in the way, trying to intervene, getting hurt, picking up the wrong person, getting a kicking yourself...then you're a better copper than I am.

Besides...how many police do you think it takes to control a thousand troublemakers?

No idea, you tell me. All I know is that many good friends of mine attended the march, and are just as outraged as me with the behaviour of the ***** who were violent: not just because of the unneccessary risk it created, but also because it detracts massively from the credibility of the campaign. I hope the wider public can see the real campaign behind all this violence, although unfortunately I think thats unlikely.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'll ask you all again. Why is more not done to penalise the twunts who created this mess? Rather than letting the bankers continue to earn huge salaries, receive gross bonuses and then get massive payouts (such as the one handed out to Freddie Goodwin), couldn't we maybe, just maybe, recover some of the deficit off their own backs?

The banks issue is only one of many that got this country into this mess. University funding issues were always going to come to the fore given the increase in students over the last 20 years regardless of the bank bailout. It's very naive to link the increase in fees solely to the bail out of the banks.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The police are doing really well with containing some of these students. The 'kettling' is horrible though and does aggravate people easily.

I find people pretty aggravating sometimes in the course of my job, and have had to spend hours on end standing around in much the same way, in various situations.

Yes, I signed up for it, it's part of the job, but my point is, that alone doesn't warrant me picking up a breeze block and lobbing it in the direction of whoever's standing opposite, any more than it does the students. We're all adults, and if one of the said breeze blocks hit someone on the head and killed them, I assure you a court wouldn't listen for long to a defence of "well I'd been kettled, and I was bored and frustrated".

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
The banks issue is only one of many that got this country into this mess. University funding issues were always going to come to the fore given the increase in students over the last 20 years regardless of the bank bailout. It's very naive to link the increase in fees solely to the bail out of the banks.

Possibly, but its also very naive not to question why they're not being punished whilst the rest of the nation bear the brunt of the cuts.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I find people pretty aggravating sometimes in the course of my job, and have had to spend hours on end standing around in much the same way, in various situations.

Yes, I signed up for it, it's part of the job, but my point is, that alone doesn't warrant me picking up a breeze block and lobbing it in the direction of whoever's standing opposite, any more than it does the students. We're all adults, and if one of the said breeze blocks hit someone on the head and killed them, I assure you a court wouldn't listen for long to a defence of "well I'd been kettled, and I was bored and frustrated".

Im not saying what people are doing is exceptable at all. Your basically trying to twist my words?

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton

That's why I said "some" not "all" of the deficit. All I'm asking is that they also receive cut backs, perhaps surviving on less than a million a year and doing without a seven figure christmas bonus?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hope the wider public can see the real campaign behind all this violence, although unfortunately I think thats unlikely.

Unfortunately for you, the more this goes on, the more the general public will get bored of the disruption to their lives and the ongoing violence/damage. We're all struggling because of the financial climate, but most of us aren't using it as an excuse to act out our childish wrecking-ball fantasies. People who've lost their jobs, had to take salary cuts, lost out due to welfare reforms etc: they're pretty annoyed with life too, but there doesn't seem to be much recognition of that amongst some of the "me me me" students.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Possibly, but its also very naive not to question why they're not being punished whilst the rest of the nation bear the brunt of the cuts.

Becuase the cuts are the result of endless spending by the last government, not becuase we bailed out the banks.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That's why I said "some" not "all" of the deficit. All I'm asking is that they also receive cut backs, perhaps surviving on less than a million a year and doing without a seven figure christmas bonus?

Even if the top 10 earners in each of our key banks ( and remember not all of them took bail out money ) stopped being paid and the money went to the Treasury it would be a few million NOT the billions we need to raise. It's not unfair to ask students to fund a more substantial chunk of their education rather than being carried by the taxpayer.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Maybe, but all professions are being asked to cut back- why are the banks exempt from this?

Hmmmm .... I would suggest you speak to the many bankers made redundant - they might well disagree with you that they are exempt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here