Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a football club's fans behave like these RUDDY students (Merged)

The annoying thing is, "Royal Car Attacked" is going to be the headline on almost every paper tomorrow (it's already on the Sun and Daily Mail homepages), as if somehow that's the most shocking thing that happened all day.

Don't be f***ing stupid. As tragic as a policeman getting seriously hurt is, the future king of this country's car being attacked is clearly more shocking. Fortunately not as serious, but more shocking. It's front page of the Guardian website too, the copper getting hurt isn't. I notice you don't add that to your little list of newspapers you love to slag off.

Gotta love the rush to show your right-on credentials on this forum.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't have a student agenda.

I've clearly condemned those that have behaved like animals and not those who are protesting peacefully. However, the NUS and various student bodies have to take some sort of responsibility for the devastation caused. The warm up events were hardly peaceful

No, a less educated society is not better, but there has to be a limit on how many people should/could claim subsidised higher education. Simplistic roles such as a PA now requires a degree as the market is flooded with graduates of all sorts.

Point four is ludicrous.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A few of things:

1) The vast majority didn't act like the morons who'll be all over the backpages, so maybe you could all set your student agendas aside and not stereotype the masses based on the actions of a few

Well the ex-copper responsible for policing public order in London has pointed out that a sizeable minority were involved in the violence and that there were clearly students involved not just rent a mob. To be fair to him the tv pictures back him up.

A few of things:

1) The vast majority didn't act like the morons who'll be all over the backpages, so maybe you could all set your student agendas aside and not stereotype the masses based on the actions of a few

2) The protests have clearly played a part in reducing the majority of the coalition (although clearly they haven't quite achieved the result wanted). There'll be plenty more now though, which will hopefully be covered in a less biased way, although I'm not going to hold my breath

3) All those telling students to go and get a job etc. Do you really think a less educated society is a better one?

4) There are many ways to reduce the deficit created by those in power. Why should they not bear the brunt of their own mistakes?

Too late matey. Your cause is soiled goods. f***ing up the cenotaph, burning a goodwill tree, riot after riot after riot.

People can see the news for themselves. The Sun and the Daily Mail didn't swing from a Union Flag or cause criminal damage. People associated with this cause did and they keep doing it. Time for this cause to get its house in order before your lot damage civil liberties for all of us.

We have a free press in this country and right now they are reporting the facts - are the BBC and the Guardian also biased against your cause? Let me answer that for you - NO. Students are getting a bad press because they and people associated with them are acting like idiots. Simple.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I don't have a student agenda.

I've clearly condemned those that have behaved like animals and not those who are protesting peacefully. However, the NUS and various student bodies have to take some sort of responsibility for the devastation caused. The warm up events were hardly peaceful

No, a less educated society is not better, but there has to be a limit on how many people should/could claim subsidised higher education. Simplistic roles such as a PA now requires a degree as the market is flooded with graduates of all sorts.

Point four is ludicrous.

Why is point four ludicrous? I'm not advocating we squeeze them dry, merely that they receive more punishment than million pound bonuses and multi-million pensions.

I agree with you on point 3, but surely the governments action fails to address this problem in any way! Rather than working out alternatives to going to university for these sorts of jobs, they've simply placed all prospective students in the same boat regardless of the "validity" of their degree. Consequently, many will now be put off attending university even if they are doing a course which is genuinely needed for the desired career.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Well the ex-copper responsible for policing public order in London has pointed out that a sizeable minority were involved in the violence and that there were clearly students involved not just rent a mob. To be fair to him the tv pictures back him up.

So out of the 20,000 who protested maybe 1,000 were violent, of which many were quite possibly responding to Police marching at them with cavalry (not saying this is right or wrong, clearly the police are only doing their jobs at these events). In my book thats still a pretty small amount.

Why is point four ludicrous? I'm not advocating we squeeze them dry, merely that they receive more punishment than million pound bonuses and multi-million pensions.

I agree with you on point 3, but surely the governments action fails to address this problem in any way! Rather than working out alternatives to going to university for these sorts of jobs, they've simply placed all prospective students in the same boat regardless of the "validity" of their degree. Consequently, many will now be put off attending university even if they are doing a course which is genuinely needed for the desired career.

Got to say that you have some very valid points but it will all be irrelevant if the protestors can't act in a civilised way. Public sympathy is draining away very quickly. As BOF says, time for the organisers to act responsibly.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Police seem to be a very good job by the television pictures, obviously learnt from the big PR disaster a few years ago.

No excuse for beating up a newspaper seller, but if a someone who has just thrown a brick at you gets cracked over the head with a riot shield, fair play.

I don't lose sleep about the odd flag or statue getting disrespect because after all they are just the odd flag and statue. She probably doesn't even know what it represents.

On the contrary she knows exactly what it represents, that is why she did it.

You tolerance is admirable, I'm sure you wouldn't bat an eyelid at a swastikas being sprayed on the walls of Auschwitz or 'the only good ****** is a dead ******' being daubed on Stephen Lawrence's memorial or maybe Mandela's statue being covered with dog shit. After all its just different strokes for different folks............proper diversity!

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Too late matey. Your cause is soiled goods. f***ing up the cenotaph, burning a goodwill tree, riot after riot after riot.

People can see the news for themselves. The Sun and the Daily Mail didn't swing from a Union Flag or cause criminal damage. People associated with this cause did and they keep doing it. Time for this cause to get its house in order before your lot damage civil liberties for all of us.

We have a free press in this country and right now they are reporting the facts - are the BBC and the Guardian also biased against your cause? Let me answer that for you - NO. Students are getting a bad press because they and people associated with them are acting like idiots. Simple.

I'd hope that most can see past the utter idiocracy of those violent members of the riots and instead focus on what its really about, although I reckon your right that from now on all future riots will be negatively stereotyped before they've even begun

So out of the 20,000 who protested maybe 1,000 were violent, of which many were quite possibly responding to Police marching at them with cavalry (not saying this is right or wrong, clearly the police are only doing their jobs at these events). In my book thats still a pretty small amount.

Are you serious? How are the police supposed to identify the 1,000 when they're amongst the 19,000? Why can't the 19,000 just walk away or even point out the perpetrators to the police. It was a mob mentality and a 1,000 people is a huge amount of people to try and keep control over.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't be f***ing stupid. As tragic as a policeman getting seriously hurt is, the future king of this country's car being attacked is clearly more shocking. Fortunately not as serious, but more shocking. It's front page of the Guardian website too, the copper getting hurt isn't. I notice you don't add that to your little list of newspapers you love to slag off.

Gotta love the rush to show your right-on credentials on this forum.

Where did I say I thought the copper getting injured was the most shocking thing? It's bad news for him obviously, although we don't know how serious it is anyway at this point, but it is to some extent an occupational hazard, therefore not going to be headline news.

I actually meant the general mayhem, the setting fire to and smashing everything that will burn/break, the targeting of places that have bugger all to do with tuition fees but can be nicely lumped into some kind of anarchist agenda by those lacking the brain capacity to think any deeper.

And as for my "right on credentials", oh of course,obviously, because I lie awake at night worrying about what you think of me :rolleyes:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

I refer you to Pot Noddles post which sums it up perfectly. Take that and the fact that graduates won't actually have to pay more each month for these larger loans and it shows what a pathetic campaign the students have run.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

If you went to an Albion game, and a thousand people out of the crowd of 20,000 started smashing up seats and chucking stuff on to the pitch, would you consider them a small amount? :ohmy:

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Got to say that you have some very valid points but it will all be irrelevant if the protestors can't act in a civilised way. Public sympathy is draining away very quickly. As BOF says, time for the organisers to act responsibly.

Yep, your 100% right with everything there. I wish the twats responsible hadn't acted as they did, but unfortunately I reckon its a downward spiral from here on in as far as this campaign goes (in the eyes of the average Joe anyway), not that I'll completely give up hope until the fat lady sings (in a peaceful non violent manner of course!)

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I'd hope that most can see past the utter idiocracy of those violent members of the riots and instead focus on what its really about, although I reckon your right that from now on all future riots will be negatively stereotyped before they've even begun

Why didn't the "genuine" protesters de-mask the violent ones ? After all, according to you they were a small minority so they would have been outnumbered 20-1.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
If you went to an Albion game, and a thousand people out of the crowd of 20,000 started smashing up seats and chucking stuff on to the pitch, would you consider them a small amount? :ohmy:

Of course not, but then I'd expect the police to deal with the troublemakers without aggravating other fans doing nothing wrong.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Why didn't the "genuine" protesters de-mask the violent ones ? After all, according to you they were a small minority so they would have been outnumbered 20-1.

So you suggest combatting violence with more violence? Not particularly sure that would have really helped proceedings....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Of course not, but then I'd expect the police to deal with the troublemakers without aggravating other fans doing nothing wrong.

If you can pick out a thousand troublemakers in a crowd of twenty thousand without anyone else getting in the way, trying to intervene, getting hurt, picking up the wrong person, getting a kicking yourself...then you're a better copper than I am.

Besides...how many police do you think it takes to control a thousand troublemakers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here