Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a Brighton football player were to 'come out'...

What would your reaction be?

• Happily give them support / let the player know this

Votes: 85 41.7%
  • Wouldn't bother me one way or the other

Votes: 108 52.9%
  • Be a bit embarrassed

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Wouldn't be happy at all / let the player know this

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Would obviously offer them as much support as I could as a fan (probably not a lot individually, but perhaps meaningful collectively).

For anyone interested in the subject who missed it, here is an article I wrote on homophobia in football: http://sweatshoptachinardi.blogspot.com/2011/11/homophobia-in-football-last-acceptable.html

Thanks for that link.

Encouraging that nearly 3 out of 4 people in the survey didn't think football is anti-gay. Couldn't stats like that be shouted from the rooftops to encourage gay footballers to be comfortable about coming out rather than it painted as 'More than one-in-four said they felt football was anti-gay...'?

I'm not suggesting that instances of homophobia should be swept under the carpet. No, they should be challenged. Yet, for as long as the football world as a whole is related to as hostile to homosexuality, it's not really helping gay footballers to go public. This thread is a good example of evidence that football fans aren't necessarily as hostile to gay footballers as is the common public image.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Why should anyone give a Rat's Arse about something that does not personally affect them ? Live and let live.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
I'm interested in what he does with his feet and his head for 90 minutes on a Saturday.I couldn't care less about what he does with any other part of his anatomy.

But if he came up to me one day and said 'Foster House I'm dating the Crystal Palace goalie, I'd say Oiiii, NOOOOO, we don't care that you wear mascara and have every Kylie Minogue album ever made, but dating a Palace player, Oi NOOOOOOOO....

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
I would buy a season ticket and burn it, then I would pray for their eternal soul whilst weeping and flailing my arms around listening to some good Christian Rock music, then maybe make up a few placards along the lines of "sodomisation = eternal damnation" and prance around in Churchill Square screaming, "burn all fags".

something along those lines. It would be the only sensible response.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I couldn't give a flyin' f***. I want anyone who plays for Brighton and Hove Albion to wear the shirt with pride and play to the best of their ability. Nothing more and nothing less. What they do in their free time is none of my business as long as it doesn't affect their performance on the pitch

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
Jose Luiz Chilavert, now there was a real man but boy oh boy has he ever let himself go

still here's hoping the new South American keeper floats my boat

Jul 20, 2003
I couldn't give a flyin' f***. I want anyone who plays for Brighton and Hove Albion to wear the shirt with pride and play to the best of their ability. What they do in their free time is none of my business

as long as none of them try to f*** my sister they're fine by me (I want her to save herself for Alastair Cook or Stuart Broad)

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What bearing does anyones sexuality have on their job. It's their own business, nobody elses. I really don't understand the need to go public.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I really cant't be bothered to read the whole thread so possibly fixtures?

To my mind it wouldn't matter a jot... All I care about is what the players do with a ball at their feet rather than what they do with the balls between their legs...

I agree that it would give opposing fans more ammo to throw back at us but I don't give a monkey's about them anyway!

Hypothetical question... If Messi came out, and was offered to us on a free transfer and 5k per week wages... Would you worry about his sexuality?

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I'm interested in what he does with his feet and his head for 90 minutes on a Saturday.I couldn't care less about what he does with any other part of his anatomy.

But if he came up to me one day and said 'Foster House I'm dating the Crystal Palace goalie, I'd say Oiiii, NOOOOO, we don't care that you wear mascara and have every Kylie Minogue album ever made, but dating a Palace player, Oi NOOOOOOOO....

Very much this, who cares where they stick whatever in/up whoever. As long they stick the ball in the back of the net, I couldn't give a flying, providing it wasn't a Palarse player

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
as long as none of them try to f*** my sister they're fine by me (I want her to save herself for Alastair Cook or Stuart Broad)
and what's wrong with Monty Panesar may I ask? Plays for Sussex and has a beard you can hang off. What more could a girl ( or boy ) want!:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here