Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a Brighton football player were to 'come out'...

What would your reaction be?

• Happily give them support / let the player know this

Votes: 85 41.7%
  • Wouldn't bother me one way or the other

Votes: 108 52.9%
  • Be a bit embarrassed

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Wouldn't be happy at all / let the player know this

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The personal life of any BHA player is none of my business. I am merely a supporter of the club.

It is regrettable that it seems to still require considerable courage to "come out" even in 2012, especially for professional sportspeople. I have no idea what the current numbers would be but all I can recall without googling anything is one professional cricketer and one (retired?) rugby player. I would not be at all surprised to learn that there are others.

I assume that everyone would support any BHA player regardless of sexual orientation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It is regrettable that it seems to still require considerable courage to "come out" even in 2012, especially for professional sportspeople. I have no idea what the current numbers would be but all I can recall without googling anything is one professional cricketer and one (retired?) rugby player. I would not be at all surprised to learn that there are others.

The first professional cricketer to come out was, of course, a Sussex player, Alan Hansford.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I would not target, give abuse OR support to any player of the Albion or any other team who "came out". Thats the way my faith leads me

However if it became a more of an occurance and various players of the game came out, particularly of the team I love, I think I may gradually question my support and love of the game. A bit like I am becoming rather disillusioned with the international billionaires buying into the Premiership, not sure where its all going, though by no means illegal.

Not looking for an argument, just an honest answer from my perspective.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Apart from poor Justin Fashanu there was an early/mid 1970's Albion player who was Gay and this was known by some teamates including a schoolfriend of mine who was a reserve player with the Albion at the time.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if an Albion player was to "come out" - why should it ?
If they're playing for the Albion I would be supporting them anyway . . .
What people do in their private lives is their own affair providing that it's not illegal

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
My best mate is gay and a great bloke !!
And much more of a man than any of the homophobic tossers in society !!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here