Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a Brighton football player were to 'come out'...

What would your reaction be?

• Happily give them support / let the player know this

Votes: 85 41.7%
  • Wouldn't bother me one way or the other

Votes: 108 52.9%
  • Be a bit embarrassed

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Wouldn't be happy at all / let the player know this

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
what they do in their private live is f*** all to do with me and as long as they "perform" well on the pitch, i dont give two hoots

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be honest, I'd be absolutely amazed if a group of supporters started targeting a player who'd come out, I really would. We all have friends or colleagues who are gay- you wouldn't stand around laughing while someone sang about "faggots" to them so why should a footballer find it any different? I actually have slightly more faith in human nature than that and I genuinely think that if any knuckle draggers started it, then the remaining normal decent people would soon shout them down. Or they'd get arrested, whichever happened first. People in general know where a line is drawn.

Most of us would recognise what a tough step it will be for the first (active, as opposed to retired) footballer to come out, and I like to believe would treat the player with the respect earned, ie by getting on with the game, realising that it's irrelevant to the football, and treating him exactly the same as everyone else.

Which, in my limited experience of such matters, is pretty much all most gay people really want in life. Not much to ask, is it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
yep, can't disagree there.....my point was that i'd imagine if there were gay footballers, they probably (based on MY experiences) simply wouldn't see it as a big deal

not as big a deal as many straight fans anyway (myself included)

I get the feeling that the problem isn't going to be the vast majority of the fans.

At the time of writing, 11% have stated to being embarrassed or hostile. While I accept that's based on a small percentage of fans, multiply that up to the Amex's size, and you've got 2,000 hostile fans.

Who would want to be the first footballer to run the gauntlet of the vocal ignoramuses?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Turning this question on it's head. If a player from the opposition was openly gay how do think he would get treated by our fans in general?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If one of ours came out and declared he was gay then I wonder what the other players would think of it, more so being in the showers together. Would the gay player be able to hold back from getting a stiffy with all those fit men around.

Always amuses me that (straight) men often have that attitude- that gay men can't cope with seeing other men without wanting to shag them.

I've got to say- as a woman- that I've watched Albion players run around in small shorts for more years than I care to remember without ever once feeling the need to run on the pitch and grab a handful. Lucky I've got that self control eh? Not like those darned gays...

:facepalm:

D

Deleted member 18477

footballers dont come out and say 'oh btw lads, im straight' so why would gay ones do it? i just dont get it. maybe im missing something.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Turning this question on it's head. If a player from the opposition was openly gay how do think he would get treated by our fans in general?

Like any other player. Because the vast majority of us are civilised human beings who would find the idea of an individual being victimised on the basis of who he happens to fall in love with, absolutely abhorrent.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If I were allowed to vote, which I amnot presumably because of number of posts, I would have no problem with this. In fact would have respect and would want to show some support or one who did.

As for the sex scandal bit, that has nothing to do with sexuality - Ask John Terry or Ryan Giggs. It has more to do with prejudice. We had a gay couple move in next door to us over twenty years ago - still there and the best neighbours you could hope for. Someone expressed surprise that we were not worried by this, because we had two small daughters. I had to point out that our gay male neighbours, who were not paedophiles would have little intereste in two little girls.

Oct 25, 2003
i'd like to throw this question out to some of our older fans, as luckily i've grown up in an era where black players aren't subjected to racial abuse (most of the time)

what was the reaction when brighton had their first black player?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
footballers dont come out and say 'oh btw lads, im straight' so why would gay ones do it? i just dont get it. maybe im missing something.

It's not about shouting it out to the world, it's merely a question of being able to live your life like everyone else does, without having to endure sniggering and fingers pointing, or having to cover it up and pretend to be into women, just so you're accepted. I doubt any gay footballer is angling to be dressed in sequins and dancing at the front float on Pride, but what they probably do want is to be able to go out for dinner or around Tesco without anybody batting an eyelid. I don't think that's too much to ask.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It wouldn't bother me either way in the same way it wouldn't in everyday life, but I voted for Happily give them support / let the player know this as it's a bit different to someone in the real world coming out and they'd inevitably be targetted for abuse by some opposition fans, and in the same way we do if one of players is booed etc anyway, we'd be singing their name loud and proud

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
whats thats comment got to do with "coming out"

Nothing. But you were saying that whatever a player gets up to in his own time is his business, you'd support them what ever. My question was does that apply to what ever they do off it even if it's illegal? Was just using our players current predicament as an example.

Jan 30, 2008
It's not about shouting it out to the world, it's merely a question of being able to live your life like everyone else does, without having to endure sniggering and fingers pointing, or having to cover it up and pretend to be into women, just so you're accepted. I doubt any gay footballer is angling to be dressed in sequins and dancing at the front float on Pride, but what they probably do want is to be able to go out for dinner or around Tesco without anybody batting an eyelid. I don't think that's too much to ask.
oh please ,isn't life so wonderfull :

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wouldnt be bothered. i dont think most football fans would be, there might be some lewd jokes down the pub about them but that would be about it. does anyone care much anymore?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
They'd get my full support and wouldn't change the way I see them at all. Football fans can be very unpleasant at times - the Sol Campbell abuse being one example even though he isn't gay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here