Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Hart...a bit of a tossbag?

like when........

True we had crowds in the seventies of 25-30,000 but capacity then was around 32,500. And there was much less attention paid to sfety than there is now.

In the old days of pay on the gate the Goldstone was never "sold out" because games were not all ticket (except for very rare occassions).. The onlty times I can remember the ground being "full" so that the gates were locked were the U.21 international v Italy in 89 and (bizarrely) Jimmy Case's testimonial.

The average gate at the Goldstone (1902-1997) was 10,800.
Less people went to games when we were in the old division 1 than they had in preceding seasons

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gareth Glover said:
Harty can only work with what he has, ie the people that phone in. Much of the phone in is, Doris from a nursing home in Haywards Heath who has just listened to it on the radio or Bert from Hastings who last saw them in 1980 in the old first division. If I was Harty I would take the phone numbers of 10 or so people who went to the game such as Dave the Gaffer who will add something constructive to the phone and call them direct from 5pm-6pm with their permission and not be at the mercy of whatever crackpot phones in to them.

To help Harty I would suggest

Dave the Gaffer - he almost has his own radio show now anyway
Lord B
Easy 10
Chapmans the Saviour
London Irish
Beach Hut
Richie Morris !

Should be varied and interesting

Why thankyou sir

I think harty's show is excellent ( and that is not cos I am on it all the bloody time) What is the job of a journalist? Its to enquire, to probe, to ask the sort of questions that we all would like to ask but would not get a chance to, or are too timid to go on and ask. Ok you may not like what he says but he not an Albion apologist!

Harty has a job to do in trying to control a very anarchic situation. He hasn't the faintest idea what anyone is going to say...didn't Bob in Bradford suggest on air that someone should hire a hit man and kill Archer? Harty shut his up tootsweet but that was a prefect example of what he is up against.

I am very happy to go on the radio and put forward my point of view. I would love to do Harty's job, but he is infinately more qualified to do it.

I do get frustrated with the line that either we are at the height of delirium after a result or at the depths of despair. Some of the callers do fall into that trap...the guy from the cardiff match re Kerry mayo.

If harty calls it a day, I for 1 will be very sad to see him go

LEWES CLIFF said:
I always listen to the phone in and i often cringe at Hart,with friends like that who needs enemies?As for London Irish i suspect using big words makes him feel important and if he needs to do it to feel like he is above us then fine im just glad that most of us our secure enough to need not to do it.

Thanks

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
dave the gaffer said:

I do get frustrated with the line that either we are at the height of delirium after a result or at the depths of despair. Some of the callers do fall into that trap...the guy from the cardiff match re Kerry mayo.

I do that, it's the drink you see.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I have been listening to the phone in less and less this season. I did hear it after Sunderland at home and thought Byrne was good. Perhaps its time for a change?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Stinky, I do agree John Byrne and Andrew Hawes did a good job as a double act.

One thing they did do well was LISTEN to what the callers said, and got involved in a DISCUSSSION either with the caller or about what they said - rather than have an agenda!

Perhaps it would help freshening it up a bit to have a double act.

I also think calling people by real names (e.g. Dave in Brighton) would help - it does sound rather pathetic with NSC nicknames etc.

It would be a shame to lose the phone-in, but I am afraid it will die a death if it carries on like this for much longer .

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Titanic said:

I also think calling people by real names (e.g. Dave in Brighton) would help - it does sound rather pathetic with NSC nicknames etc.

Sorry didn't mean to be pathetic, but Dave the gaffer is what most people know me as :(

It is quite interesting though that the vast majority of text senders give their names as NSC/NSP nicknames

I seem to be in the minority in that I wouldn't change the format or the host!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Titanic said:

One thing they did do well was LISTEN to what the callers said, and got involved in a DISCUSSSION either with the caller or about what they said - rather than have an agenda!

It would be a shame to lose the phone-in, but I am afraid it will die a death if it carries on like this for much longer .

Totally agree.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd like to see Comedy Steve given a run-out on the phone-in. Quick-fire put-downs, get the freaks off the line before they start playing to the gallery. Could easily become cult listening.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tom Hark said:
I'd like to see Comedy Steve given a run-out on the phone-in. Quick-fire put-downs, get the freaks off the line before they start playing to the gallery. Could easily become cult listening.

What a mighty fine idea that is - that would be superb. They could probably do without having those nutters ringing in altogether.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The problem I see it is that its all very subjective.

If FG comes on spouting his anti Knight and everything stuff, has he not just as much right as anyone who comes on spouting pro Knight stuff?

Where Danny Baker had it right when he did 606, is that he did not allow people to go off on one. Contributors had a couple of second sto make their point and if Danny thought they were good value, he would allow them to continue, if not, he would cut them off and move on.

To get that balance takes experience which Danny has in abundance. Harty does his best and lets face it, we all shout at the radio when some idiot comes on:wave: but Harty does not have that opportunity ( especially as it is obvious sometimes that he is dealing with other things like lining people up to come on the show whilst someone may be waffling on)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
dave the gaffer said:

I seem to be in the minority in that I wouldn't change the format or the host!

Well I'm in that minority with you then :) . The one thing that really pissed me off on Saturday was when they were harping on about attendances and Gary O'Reilley's pathetic "you'd struggle to fill Falmer every week" argument. Errr, thats the point. It's built to hold the maximum not the average. If we expected to get 22,000 every week we would need a bigger capacity otherwise it would need expanding after the first half season there.
Also, trying to guess what our average attendances would have been based on what they were when we were last at the Goldstone was pointless. Building up to the last game there we had had 6 seasons of free fall. I would be surprised if our average attendances over the last five seasons at Withdean would have been lower than our last few at the Goldstone considering the success we've had.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Rangdo said:
Well I'm in that minority with you then :) . The one thing that really pissed me off on Saturday was when they were harping on about attendances and Gary O'Reilley's pathetic "you'd struggle to fill Falmer every week" argument. Errr, thats the point. It's built to hold the maximum not the average. If we expected to get 22,000 every week we would need a bigger capacity otherwise it would need expanding after the first half season there.
Also, trying to guess what our average attendances would have been based on what they were when we were last at the Goldstone was pointless. Building up to the last game there we had had 6 seasons of free fall. I would be surprised if our average attendances over the last five seasons at Withdean would have been lower than our last few at the Goldstone considering the success we've had.

Good point, well made, IMHO

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
ATTENDANCES.jpg

When O'Reilly left the Albion our Goldstone attendances were around the 15,000 mark and the average crowds at Palace were 10,000. This was during the recession when attendances were about 20% lower than today.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
Harty can only work with what he has, ie the people that phone in. Much of the phone in is, Doris from a nursing home in Haywards Heath who has just listened to it on the radio or Bert from Hastings who last saw them in 1980 in the old first division. If I was Harty I would take the phone numbers of 10 or so people who went to the game such as Dave the Gaffer who will add something constructive to the phone and call them direct from 5pm-6pm with their permission and not be at the mercy of whatever crackpot phones in to them.

To help Harty I would suggest

Dave the Gaffer - he almost has his own radio show now anyway
Lord B
Easy 10
Chapmans the Saviour
London Irish
Beach Hut
Richie Morris !

Should be varied and interesting

Great idea. Limit the phone-in to seven self-styled Albion apostles.

And as for 'Phone-ins should not be at the mercy of whatever crackpot phones in to them' - were you by any chance the mastermind behind Saddam Hussein's astonishing run of electoral success until recently?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
dave the gaffer said:
Where Danny Baker had it right when he did 606, is that he did not allow people to go off on one. Contributors had a couple of second sto make their point and if Danny thought they were good value, he would allow them to continue, if not, he would cut them off and move on.

I doubt Harty would be able to operate like that on the BBC.

He does let people go on a bit though.

How hard is it to filter out Fifi though?

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
perseus said:
ATTENDANCES.jpg

When O'Reilly left the Albion our Goldstone attendances were around the 15,000 mark and the average crowds at Palace were 10,000. This was during the recession when attendances were about 20% lower than today.

Bloody brilliant stats, stick it to them.

(Can see what you get up to at the weekends!!!!)

Jolly good 'slinging post imho.
The phone-in contains some loons and anti-Albion head-cases? Some trite plonkers who have no clue?
Well what can one do about this - live in fear that a cross-section of public includes diverse views that YOU sometimes don't share?

It's all blah-blah-blah, and if all the blabbermouths in Sussex sound off about BHAFC, then someone might actually notice that the club exists for a LOT of people.

Personally I think it's alright if loads of people don't agree with each other or with me. This isn't the People's Front of Judea vs the Judean People's Front - we all beg to differ on differing viewpoints.

It's a free world, and why be shocked by verbage? - diversity of opinion and view means little to the game that just finished. This site is actually the SAME as the phone-in in that it's a place to air viewpoints. Acolytes schmacolytes, we reserve the right to agree or disagree, see things one way - or the other.

The bottom line here is that the majority of BHA fans want a Coliseum for the gladiators, a stadium to put our bones, and our contention.
There will not be thumbs raised, nor pointed downward, no matter how hard we practise on NSC or Ian Hart's radio broadcast - unless we keep The ALBION on the football map and in Brighthelmstone.

Wither not from the thrust and parry of opinions - "ambition is made of sterner stuff"

Can I get a witness?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here