Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
True

Or Lush and Tom Hark

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Gareth Glover said:
Harty can only work with what he has, ie the people that phone in. Much of the phone in is, Doris from a nursing home in Haywards Heath who has just listened to it on the radio or Bert from Hastings who last saw them in 1980 in the old first division. If I was Harty I would take the phone numbers of 10 or so people who went to the game such as Dave the Gaffer who will add something constructive to the phone and call them direct from 5pm-6pm with their permission and not be at the mercy of whatever crackpot phones in to them.

To help Harty I would suggest

Dave the Gaffer - he almost has his own radio show now anyway
Lord B
Easy 10
Chapmans the Saviour
London Irish
Beach Hut
Richie Morris !

Should be varied and interesting

Good idea.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks for the vote of confidence by tarring us all with the same brush Harty :(

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
note to myself, check in dictionary meaning of " acolytes ", it is not quoted in the Sun or Sunday sport very often :lolol:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Good word is acolytes. Trouble is, as I am about to depart the house to tread the boards as the Wicked Auntie Abanaza, I can only think of it in panto context:

Widow Twankey: The Sultana will be lathering up in the bathhouse next door. And her acolytes are going to get very soapy too.

Aladdin: Crikey! I didn't know girls HAD acolytes.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Aren't the best radio phone ins where they have more than one presenter? Isn't that how TalkSport Radio 5 mostly works these days?

Debate is more entertaining than everyone agreeing, but some of that can be had between two intelligent presenters who at least know something of the facts.

This has got to be better than Harty slinging out increasingly outrageous comments waiting for fans to bite. Or, in my case, turn the radio off in disgust.

What about a Harty (ex fanzine-editor, heart-on-his-sleeve, fan on the terraces kind of chap) and John Byrne (ex-footballer, more reasoned, more of a club perspective) doing the phone in together?

Also it means that if the callers dry up they can at least have a conversation rather than Harty desperately filling airtime on his own.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Look lads and lassies this is serious. If we start fighting each other we are not going to win the campaign for Falmer.
The Daily Telegraph and follow up Argus article were very helpful in putting before our opponents and people in London the plight our club is in. Saturday's phone in turned that good publicity on its head and now we are having a slanging match amongst ourselves. Please don't forget that our opponents listen to Harty's phone in and probably dip into this site.

From my few days I've managed to spend at the Inquiry I can tell you that our opponents are putting forward every obstacle they can find. That includes
a We are flourishing financially at Withdean
b We do not need a bigger ground and will not get gates above present levels
c We are a small provincial club and it does not matter whether we play in the lower leagues.
d Football supporters are not like normal people and are uncouth, troublemakers.
And so it goes on.

We have to keep together to fight for our Club and think before we speak whether on the radio or in conversation to make sure we give no ammunition to the enemy.

Rant over. I think I'll lie down now

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hang on. I've got an idea.

Why doesn't Richie Morris host the phone in and Harty produce a fanzine?

That way everyone will be happy. The phone in will always be fun as people will be queuing up to call RM a GOON on live radio(even more exciting than calling him one on the internet). And we'll have a quality read at half time. Which we can write into and congratulate Harty on completing the 'zine, unlike the GOOn who presents the radio show.

See? Simple. A decent phone-in, a decent fanzine and everyone gets to moan at their favourite whipping boy in print AND on the air. Everyones happy. :)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
garry nelsons left foot said:
Hang on. I've got an idea.

Why doesn't Richie Morris host the phone in and Harty produce a fanzine?

That way everyone will be happy. The phone in will always be fun as people will be queuing up to call RM a GOON on live radio(even more exciting than calling him one on the internet). And we'll have a quality read at half time. Which we can write into and congratulate Harty on completing the 'zine, unlike the GOOn who presents the radio show.

See? Simple. A decent phone-in, a decent fanzine and everyone gets to moan at their favourite whipping boy in print AND on the air. Everyones happy. :)

You're a genius. Let's do it.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
This is all very childish. Having spoken to lord b, Roz and Harty there is no difference in their objectives. Harty is employed to do a job and that is get debate on a phone in after a match. Someof the phone in contents are shit to say the least but a programme has to go out. People who post on here think that NSC is the main talking point for Brighton Football Club. Which it is not. A lot of fans do not take part in NSC. Get real everyone. Why do we have to have internal slagging off ? It is as bad as when a player comes on and he isn't flavour of the month. Where are all the Mac Cammon singers from Sheff U away ? We are a club punching above our level get real and accept it. Harty is doing a job. Paul Camillin does his as the insider should we take him to task for his posts ? Harty you can phone me after every game and talk about the match as I've seen it. This is what we should all speak about on the phone in. Unfortunately everyone wants to speak bollocks about what they know nothing about.

I think that the problem with the phone in is that it has to be justified in terms of listerner figures to the BBC who have not always been in favour of it.

Ergo, harty need s to garner a reaction each week otherwise it just drifts into the drivel that 6-0-6 has become on Radio 5 ie "We were fantastic" (we won), or "We were appalling and the manager must pay the price" (we lost) reactions.

Now there's nothing wrong with that but if we are going to get serious debate on a contentious subject that the host has brought up, it would help matters if the host had actually familiariused himself with the subject beforehand. Otherwise it just develops into a spouting off exercise. and name calling.

and then everyone looks rather silly.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Lush said:
Aren't the best radio phone ins where they have more than one presenter? Isn't that how TalkSport Radio 5 mostly works these days?

I agree. I don't often listen- but the whole premise of the phone-in was rubbish on Saturday. An Argus headline which I hadn't read.

I like Harty (not that I know him) but it needs a more than that. And were I him - I'd steer clear of NSC - he does not project himself in his postings in the way I am sure he intends.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Unbelieveable thread.

I love driving home from the Albion match and listening to Harty's show, it beats Talksport and Radio 5Live every time.

Let's remember that Harty has a day job, and anyone running their own business has their hands full 5 days a week. He is a fan with a sense of humour and a burning passion for this club, and does an excellent job.

On the subject of the £30 million, Harty made it clear that he hadn't read the story but only seen the billboard headline. Perry cleared up the facts.

Re. the ground capacity, yes we do need a minimum of 22,000 seats because we sold out the Goldstone plenty of times and that held 29,000.

The Great Cornholio said:
Very few people (myself included) agree with the tone and wording of the original post. But serious points were made later on

Agreed TGC, but if we wanted to look at the beam in our own eyes on NSC for a second rather than Harty's, I would say that the original, immature post should have been allowed to drift down NSC towards the obscurity it deserved and then a sensible thread on the phone-in started where sensible comments could be exchanged. If the debate lines of a discussion are set by childish comments, then it is human nature that you will get childish comments in response, even though others are trying to do their best to raise the tone.

There were a few positives from this week's phone-in, there were some good calls including that bloke from Falmer. And Perry's regular appearances are dragging the show back from the very anti-club tone it had a few months ago.

Harty did make a bit of a false step with his presentation of the Argus article, as I understand it Harty was trying to defend the club and the chairman from an impression that a "scaremongering" Argus was giving - that the club was sloppily losing untold millions through the Falmer delays. Hence Harty's insistence on conservative crowd estimates for Falmer, it meant that the loss would be much lower.

Of course this misses the point that it actually helps the club to emphasise the amount of losses we make while staying at Withdean, because it emphasises to the planning inquiry the unsustainability for our finances of Withdean.

So a bit of a mix-up really - Harty thought he was helping the club with his comments, the Argus thought this too with its presentation (although its story was a bit overblown by landing on the front page, slow news day obviously!).

The lesson I'd draw from this is that if Harty wants to inject a theme into his show, it could be worthwhile chewing it around first in private with others on the show, like Hawsey or the summarisers like Byrne or Sir Norman, just to ensure there are no potential misunderstandings or pitfalls from raising the issue.

I agree with those who say that Harty should be getting the phone-in to discuss the football more, how on earth has McGhee got 44pts off a team tagged virtually universally as relegation certainties, was McPhee a good gamble, were the substitutions a bit lucky or inspired tactical thinking, did we miss Virgs, etc etc. But let's be honest, those things don't get discussed much on NSC either :lolol:

The debate about Falmer crowd figures, this is an honest disagreement among fans, there is no right or wrong answer here. Harty checked with his colleagues and got agreement that it would be on the low side, around 9K. My feeling is that these estimates underestimate the galvanising impact of a new stadium. In our last season at the Goldstone, my other club London Irish averaged 4k at Sunbury, nowadays it's 11-12k at the Madjeski, just through the straightforward application of modern sports marketing technniques in a big, modern family-friendly stadium. The potential footy market in Sussex is much bigger than for Celtic rugby in Reading, so do the math, as the Yanks say.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot has the funniest suggestion for future improvements to the phone-in in this thread, but surely it's Lush's that is the most inspired.

Byrne did a very good job last week but you would have some small qualms about someone so close to the club doing an independent phone-in.

But a double act between him and Harty would surely be perfect, and the obvious solution to some of the wrong turns and dead-air problems that can bedevil the current phone-in.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here