Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night!

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Oh wind your neck in.

Where Do You Get Off Pontificating About Everything And Then When Someone Disagrees With You They Are Either A) Not Getting The "Joke" or B) Getting All Serious.

People's Opinions Of You On Here Is About As Low As Their Opinion Of Me. And That's Saying Something.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Trying to take the moral high ground. Very misplaced, but I'll let people judge this for themselves:

Personally I think it makes you look like you're doing your very best to sound controversial like 75% of the rest of your posts on this thread, and finally it got right on my tits.

But sorry for calling you a "failed actor" - that was uncalled for. I should have just said "actor".

I think it's a bit harsh to say that people join the military because they can't do anything else. In point of fact most people enter the forces in order to make something of themselves as their previous situation didn't offer them much in the way of oppotunity. Air areas of the armed services are now very technical and there is no place in them for plebs who can't walk and chew gum.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of military people don't want National Service to return as they want people who are motivated and willing not press ganged.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Where Do You Get Off Pontificating About Everything And Then When Someone Disagrees With You They Are Either A) Not Getting The "Joke" or B) Getting All Serious.

People's Opinions Of You On Here Is About As Low As Their Opinion Of Me. And That's Saying Something.

thought u were banned

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
:D :D :D :D You were the one getting STROPPY because I'd called you a failed actor you attention seeking GOON. :D

Not stroppy just fail to see why once again you decide to turn a perfectly good debate into an excuse to bait me. If you read the posts we are in agreement.

My comments on the forces are based on people I know that have been in the forces. I have had conversations with members of the armed forces who have told me they joined up to avoid civilian responsibilities. That is just a fact. I didn't say all people who joined the forces did so for that reason.

That is why I told you to wind your neck in - as in shut up, your wind up behaviour is ruining the thread.

That is all.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

:yawn:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
True, I don't attend and I certainly wouldn't introduce myself to some anti-semite nutcase!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thanks Simster. A job well done. One day you may have an opinion or original thought of your own and then you can stop just critisising everyone elses.

And as for you BArs. I don't know, I'm warming to your blatant wind up.

Ta ta for now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nipple's crying! :D :D :D :D :D

Actually I thought I had expressed an opinion. I just didn't feel the need to express it 25 times - each one as a feeble attempt to extract yet more ill feeling from certain sections of NSC. But just for you Nipple, here is my opinion:

I think the behaviour expressed by goldstone's original post was unnecessary and uncalled for. I don't actually disagree with some of his sentiment, for I don't feel that all soldiers are heroes. And I strongly object to the fact they swear allegiance to the queen rather than the nation. But I recognise that in practise, that is a fairly unimportant point and members of our armed forces certainly DO deserve respect and dignity. Something that is sadly lacking by some tosser at a football stadium questioning the word "hero" unnecessarily loudly, because the chances are that somebody within earshot may be clinging to that very thought of heroism as a way of dealing with the loss of someone very dear to them who died on the battlefield.

As Buzzer alluded earlier on, you'd be better off reading Kipling's "Tommy" than subjecting us all to your bullshit theories on the shortfalls of your average member of the armed forces. It's tiresome.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is a TRUE war thread. There are separate little skirmishes breaking out all over the place!

Carry on Chaps!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just re-read the poem and it's uncanny how topical it still is:

Tommy by Rudyard Kipling

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nipple's crying! :D :D :D :D :D

Actually I thought I had expressed an opinion. I just didn't feel the need to express it 25 times - each one as a feeble attempt to extract yet more ill feeling from certain sections of NSC. But just for you Nipple, here is my opinion:

I think the behaviour expressed by goldstone's original post was unnecessary and uncalled for. I don't actually disagree with some of his sentiment, for I don't feel that all soldiers are heroes. And I strongly object to the fact they swear allegiance to the queen rather than the nation. But I recognise that in practise, that is a fairly unimportant point and members of our armed forces certainly DO deserve respect and dignity. Something that is sadly lacking by some tosser at a football stadium questioning the word "hero" unnecessarily loudly, because the chances are that somebody within earshot may be clinging to that very thought of heroism as a way of dealing with the loss of someone very dear to them who died on the battlefield.

As Buzzer alluded earlier on, you'd be better off reading Kipling's "Tommy" than subjecting us all to your bullshit theories on the shortfalls of your average member of the armed forces. It's tiresome.

I know the poem very well. And thanks for the opinion, which, if you had understood any of my posts, is pretty much exactly the same as mine.

I'm sorry that you find my posts tiresome. They are certainly not meant to illicit ill-feeling from anyone but obviously you felt the need to personally insult me over them. My opinions on this matter are formed through having known, being related to, working with and training with members of the armed forces.

I am sorry that you find these opinions offensive but may I suggest in the future you stick to the matter in hand rather than lowering the debate to personal insults.

I am certain that I will be accused of pomposity or suchlike by posting this but Simster, you know by posting personal insults to me you will likely get a response. Let's just say there are certain members that bring out the worst in me.

If you don't like my posts then I suggest you don't throw insults because it is a sure fire way of making me post more.

However, I, and I'm sure many others are bored of binfests so I will leave it with the knowledge that you don't like me and I can sleep quite easily with that.

With that in mind I should leave ths thread before it degenerates even further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here