Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I just want to watch football, now I have to cconsider my Albion supporter "aspirations"

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I just want to watch football, now I have to cconsider my Albion supporter "asp

Maybe it's just me missing a big point here, in which case fine, I need to stop obsessing.

But...how many non-season ticket holders are likely to want to pay this 30 quid, depending upon the level of their holistic life aspirations?

There can't be that many really: 1,000? 3,000 maybe, at the most? 30 x 3000 is 90,000 quid - better than nothing, of course but absolute chicken feed in the grand scheme of things these days.

Probably because its not all about money even though most posters on here think everything is. its about structure for the future, if we get promoted there's gonna be arsenal, united, spurs, Chelsea fans etc.. Trying to get tickets in the Brighton end for their games, this membership scheme will give our fans a better chance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe it's just me missing a big point here, in which case fine, I need to stop obsessing.

But...how many non-season ticket holders are likely to want to pay this 30 quid, depending upon the level of their holistic life aspirations?

There can't be that many really: 1,000? 3,000 maybe, at the most? 30 x 3000 is 90,000 quid - better than nothing, of course but absolute chicken feed in the grand scheme of things these days.

This is what I don't understand. It's chicken feed but enough feed to piss a lot of people off. If you want to piss people off the best way to go about things is to start charging for petty items. Why does Barber do this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably because its not all about money even though most posters on here think everything is. its about structure for the future, if we get promoted there's gonna be arsenal, united, spurs, Chelsea fans etc.. Trying to get tickets in the Brighton end for their games, this membership scheme will give our fans a better chance.

I don't buy this. There is an adequate scheme already in place which has serviced AMEX sell-outs and away games where demand has out-stripped supply. I can see the benefit of an away season ticket but nothing else in this announcement. To me, this future proof Prem talk is spin.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
if we get promoted

A very big "if", without a manager.

Besides, why not introduce it if or when it happens?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
probably because its not all about money even though most posters on here think everything is. Its about structure for the future, if we get promoted there's gonna be arsenal, united, spurs, chelsea fans etc.. Trying to get tickets in the brighton end for their games, this membership scheme will give our fans a better chance.

thats one huge if

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't buy this. There is an adequate scheme already in place which has serviced AMEX sell-outs and away games where demand has out-stripped supply. I can see the benefit of an away season ticket but nothing else in this announcement. To me, this future proof Prem talk is spin.

Couldn't agree more. We have a perfectly adequate database that can be used for determining loyalty. In fact it is proven (to a degree), having worked for many big games already.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So it's all about cash then?

Let's say someone can't afford the thirty notes in order to receive nothing, but during the course of the season they will save up and try to go to some games. They pick a couple of low key games and an away game. It's spread out because that is when they can afford to go.

Then suddenly Spurs come to town, and some geezer who has shelled out thirty notes and only attended one game gets to go.

Now, let's look at it another way. No membership. Same scenario. Who has more loyalty points?

If you want to talk about rewarding loyalty, then reward loyalty. If you want to reward people that put their hands in their pockets in order to baggsy the best seats then talk about that.

All so unimaginative and predictable.

Its not about cash at all, as MoH so eloquently put it, it will make very little, if little money, but at least the scheme will fund itself, rather than being yet another Albion money pit, like the transport system in the first season at the Amex.

Reading the article, it seems quite clear that loyalty points will remain in use, if you have some, then you'll have the use of them. Those who have paid the £30 will have priority over some others, but they aren't going to have priority of those with a bundle of loyalty points, unless they too have the same loyalty points.

As plenty on here are fond of guessing how it might be, this would be my take on how priority ticket sales might go:

1st. STH with membership and away ticket scheme etc.
2nd. Member with 1200+ loyalty points
3rd. Non Member with 1200+ loyalty points
4th. Member with 1000+ loyalty points
5th Non member with 1000+ loyalty points
etc etc

I can see fairness in that, plus it adds an additional level for those who decide to join the membership scheme. Bear in mind, this is a different world we are in now, this isn't a ground breaking scheme, it's the norm for many of the better supported clubs in England.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Its not about cash at all, as MoH so eloquently put it, it will make very little, if little money, but at least the scheme will fund itself, rather than being yet another Albion money pit, like the transport system in the first season at the Amex.

Reading the article, it seems quite clear that loyalty points will remain in use, if you have some, then you'll have the use of them. Those who have paid the £30 will have priority over some others, but they aren't going to have priority of those with a bundle of loyalty points, unless they too have the same loyalty points.

As plenty on here are fond of guessing how it might be, this would be my take on how priority ticket sales might go:

etc etc

I can see fairness in that, plus it adds an additional level for those who decide to join the membership scheme. Bear in mind, this is a different world we are in now, this isn't a ground breaking scheme, it's the norm for many of the better supported clubs in England.

that have a manager

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

etc etc

My point about the cash was not about what it generates for the club, but about exclusion.

I think your guesses would be right (and as I mentioned earlier, I am in the dark on this as are you.)

I would be amazed at a Non Member with 1200 points, but hey I see where you are going.

My point is this. It just is all half baked. It's all being trotted out on the hoof. That's rubbish management. At the moment there is no need for what they are proposing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is what I don't understand. It's chicken feed but enough feed to piss a lot of people off. If you want to piss people off the best way to go about things is to start charging for petty items. Why does Barber do this?
It's pissed me off for starters. I've been a STH for the first two seasons but have had to give it up. And now in order to get a ticket it seems I'm being bullied into paying up to £30 just for a right to buy an away ticket? Plus anyone in my family.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
We only just managed to sell out the biggest home game in years against Palace - can't see there being any point in non-season ticket holders forking out £30 for priority when getting tickets for virtually every game next season will be easy. Especially if we are struggling.

Hit the Premier League though and when Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc come to town then it could prove to be a worthwhile scheme.

I'm more interested in the away season ticket, of which the noises from the club so far have given away very little information

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
From the press-release

"Membership will also bring further additional benefits to all supporters, and we hope bring supporters even closer to the club they love"

Well you failed there Barber. You'll get my 30 notes, and that of my wife, who doesn't really like football but keeps me company at the odd game, and my Dad for the 1 or 2 games a season he comes down with me to enable him to moan at modern football, and from my daughter who loves it, well probably a tenner for her, so that's £100 a season you've guaranteed from me, for nothing more than ensuring we can sit together at a game because of a problem of your own creating, the proceeds of which are of no tangible benefit to anyone, but has succeeded in widening a little the divide between me and my club. Ta for that.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

etc etc

But what's the point? If you want people who go to the most games there's the loyalty points system already in use. If you want to encourage people to attend 'less glamorous' games there's the loyalty points system (but add 'bonus' points).

If it's about increasing income then there are better ways to get more money - add £1 to the ticket price.

So again - what's the point?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No, loyalty points would only apply to people with the membership scheme. "Existing loyalty points can be transferred into the new membership scheme"

So it would be:

1st STH with membership and away ticket scheme etc
2nd Members with high loyalty points
3rd Members with low/no loyalty points
4th Non-members, regardless of loyalty points

I preferred Superphil's. Guess you're not mercenary enough Superphil.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its not about cash at all

A survey of the small number of season ticket holders who were unable to renew for the new season showed that there is demand for such a scheme, as supporters still wish to retain a connection to the club and access the best available seats, whilst not necessarily being able to make a 23-game commitment.

With the advent of Financial Fair Play the club also needs to build its revenues.

The Barber quote above suggests money does play a part.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
No, loyalty points would only apply to people with the membership scheme. "Existing loyalty points can be transferred into the new membership scheme"

So it would be:

1st STH with membership and away ticket scheme etc
2nd Members with high loyalty points
3rd Members with low/no loyalty points
4th Non-members, regardless of loyalty points

It is all speculation at the moment, but I really don't think members with no loyalty points will get priority over non members with a bundle of loyalty points, that would be suicidal from the clubs point of view.

Despite the relentless criticism of the club, especially Barber since he arrived, I'm really not sure I can see anything they've done being anything other than sensible progression for a club that is climbing the football ladder. So the pies and pints went up a bit, have you noticed, that happens in your local too, and in Tesco? STH prices increased, well, wow, football club puts up prices shocker. Many of the season tickets in the first season at the Amex were cheaper than the last season at Withdean, in fact, 3 seasons in and next season there are still season tickets at the Amex that are cheaper than the shit tickets I had in the last 3 seasons at Withdean.

People want to come and watch the Albion, more than anyone predicted. The costs have to be covered, and no-one is making any money at the moment, we are due to lose another £8M next year aren't we? If they had to make all that back in one fell swoop, it would add £340 to everyones season ticket, or put the price of a pie and a pint through the roof. So the club is choosing to run itself like a real business rather than the noddy outfit it has been for so many years, if they don't who knows where the club will be in a few years time.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The main thing that strikes me is that there are several typos in the release. This suggests that it was somewhat rushed out, presumably in response to all the "input" the club has had in the last couple of days. Input that has distracted them from dealing with other, more important, matters. Supporting my theory that this has been rushed out is the fact that it's very unusual to issue an update FAQ within 48 hours of the initial release - generally, you'd issue both at the same time, or the FAQ would come out some time later (say 2 weeks).

The club should have predicted that they'd be inundated with questions. Hopefully this experience will encourage them to only release news when they have something substantive to say. I'm not advocating that they wait until every dot has been made, but the release and FAQ could and should have come at the same time.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
It is all speculation at the moment, but I really don't think members with no loyalty points will get priority over non members with a bundle of loyalty points, that would be suicidal from the clubs point of view.

The FAQ states that "an active membership will be required to utilise loyalty points when purchasing tickets."

That suggests, to me, that if you aren't a member then your loyalty points will count for nothing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Despite the relentless criticism of the club, especially Barber since he arrived, I'm really not sure I can see anything they've done being anything other than sensible progression for a club that is climbing the football ladder. So the pies and pints went up a bit, have you noticed, that happens in your local too, and in Tesco? STH prices increased, well, wow, football club puts up prices shocker. Many of the season tickets in the first season at the Amex were cheaper than the last season at Withdean, I fact, 3 seasons in and next season there are still season tickets at the Amex that are cheaper than the shit tickets I had in the last 3 seasons at Withdean.

People want to come and watch the Albion, more than anyone predicted. The costs have to be covered, and no-one is making any money at the moment, we are due to lose another £8M next year aren't we? If they had to make all that back in one fell swoop, it would add £340 to everyones season ticket, or put the price of a pie and a pint through the roof. So the club is choosing to run itself like a real business rather than the noddy outfit it has been for so many years, if they don't who knows where the club will be in a few years time.

The first point is in black-and-white in the latest press release - loyalty points will not be activated for non-members.

The rest of it - we can grumble about prices but at least its fair, we all pay the same. The unfairness of this new system is what bugs me, we're all Albion fans at heart, whether we have a season-ticket or live in the bloody jungle. I have never had a problem with loyalty points and queueing that way, but jumping the queue just by paying, that bugs me. And so because I have to pay to make sure I can get a ticket for some away games, my whole family has to pay too so we can sit together on the few occasions they come to home games - and all of a sudden these not-particularly strong fans are ahead of real fans.... I think its a mess that's putting £ before fairness to fans. Coming so soon after the Palace away debacle when I wasn't even allowed to apply for a ticket, it grates. Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here