Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I just want to watch football, now I have to cconsider my Albion supporter "aspirations"

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's the definition of "better things" that matters.

We do still have some of this e.g. AITC, but we can do more. It should be in the very values of the club. It should be enshrined in the way the club behaves.

I would argue that AITC goes along to achieving this. The scale of the Community operation is quite simply astonishing and I think it separates the Albion from other clubs. There are also other things which differentiate from more conventional clubs, the welcome that we extend to away fans, the padded seats, the pioneering DD scheme, the extended opening hours of the concourses and free movement throughout, the 'hotly debated' but nonetheless award winning pies, genuine real ale on tap, 10% discount on e-cash, a pretty decent pre-match show on the big screens, the 'free travel', etc etc.

Sometimes I think it is easy to forget that despite our having to come to terms with the harsh realities of top end football finance and ludicrous players wage bills, we do still have plenty to be proud of. We are having to grow up, but I still do not think we have completely lost our common touch.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I would argue that AITC goes along to achieving this. The scale of the Community operation is quite simply astonishing and I think it separates the Albion from other clubs. There are also other things which differentiate from more conventional clubs, the welcome that we extend to away fans, the padded seats, the pioneering DD scheme, the extended opening hours of the concourses and free movement throughout, the 'hotly debated' but nonetheless award winning pies, genuine real ale on tap, 10% discount on e-cash, a pretty decent pre-match show on the big screens, the 'free travel', etc etc.

Sometimes I think it is easy to forget that despite our having to come to terms with the harsh realities of top end football finance and ludicrous players wage bills, we do still have plenty to be proud of. We are having to grow up, but I still do not think we have completely lost our common touch.

I agree with the evidence that you highlight, but I feel there is a danger that the club is missing an opportunity to take things in a different direction. Everything you mention is great, but it is very surface stuff. With the exception of AITC, everything else is light touch. It's not really about what type of club we want to be and what we want to stand for: it's not really about whether we believe in fairness, community and access for all.

This membership scheme that is leaving a nasty taste - what are the values that have driven that? If we were to look at a membership scheme through the light of our values, then we'd be creating a scheme to reward fans for far more than just the £30 up front fee. We'd be creating a scheme that recognised the efforts of fans in raising cash for AITC e.g. every pound raised = X loyalty points for your membership scheme. Now, I'm not saying that this is what should happen, but I'm using it as an example. If we want to be truly different, then we can be truly different.

Precisely this.

I picture him typing away his airy emails about aspirations and priority schemes having squeezed onto the computer, casually passing the managerial black hole in the room. And is it controversial to suggest that his heavy-handed dealing with Poyet's raging ego etc has played a large part in bringing about the fact that...erm WE DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE A SODDING MANAGER AT THE MOMENT?

If I was Bloom - who's a good guy, no question - I'd tell him: ease off on all this stupid executive club/priority scheme/sponsored vol-au-vents bullsh1t, just for a couple of weeks, until someone, anyone, sorts out who might be that other small matter of who decides what happens on the pitch.

Who do you think signed the suspension letter(s)?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Now that i have read the details on the website i feel i can make a more balanced and level-headed response.

**** off barber

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Those loyalty points you've spend the last two seasons building up? They now only count if you sign up for a membership. Fantastic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We, the supporters, will end up validating this system as people will pay.
If no one likes it the answer is simple: No one buy it and then the club HAVE to change it. But that wont happen, as for all the moaning and talk of the club fleecing money out of us we will all flock to buy them like pathetic sheep giving the club yet more power.

Over 23,000 season ticket holders won't be flocking anywhere to pay anything, it will be free/included, as will the additional benefits it offers. For the casual supporters, and those who can't commit to a ST, they will be able to continue to buy tickets as they have before, without it costing them anything more, however, if they want some priority over others, there is a new membership available. Seems sensible to me, and no-one has to pay for anything unless they want more than they already have.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Over 23,000 season ticket holders won't be flocking anywhere to pay anything, it will be free/included, as will the additional benefits it offers. For the casual supporters, and those who can't commit to a ST, they will be able to continue to buy tickets as they have before, without it costing them anything more, however, if they want some priority over others, there is a new membership available. Seems sensible to me, and no-one has to pay for anything unless they want more than they already have.

So, I go to see Yeovil away, Blackpool at home and Yeovil at home and I don't pay the fee. That seems pretty loyal to me.

Then, we draw Newcastle in the cup and someone who has just forked out £30 gets to go ahead of me in the line. Is that right? I'd have thought that those people prepared to rock up to watch Yeovil might be a bit more loyal than someone that has just forked out thirty notes.

Now, the Yeovil watcher will still have his or her loyalty points, but where do they go in the pecking order. Under then current system I know where they go, but under the membership system I'm not clear.

Does the press release say this?

What about my loyalty points, will I lose those?

No. The loyalty point system will NOT be dropped. Existing loyalty points can be transferred into the new membership scheme – at any level and the loyalty point system will operate as part of the membership scheme. All supporters will continue to accrue points, but an active membership will be required to utilise loyalty points when purchasing tickets.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/membership-faqs-856145.aspx#2D5s0TjbD8wp2qR4.99

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Does the press release say this?

"The loyalty point system will NOT be dropped. Existing loyalty points can be transferred into the new membership scheme – at any level and the loyalty point system will operate as part of the membership scheme. All supporters will continue to accrue points, but an active membership will be required to utilise loyalty points when purchasing tickets."

"The loyalty point system will NOT be dropped. Existing loyalty points can be transferred into the new membership scheme – at any level and the loyalty point system will operate as part of the membership scheme. All supporters will continue to accrue points, but an active membership will be required to utilise loyalty points when purchasing tickets."

Cheers, I missed this. A bit miserable imo, I can't see at the moment why the scheme/system couldn't be designed to cope with tiered loyalty for non-members.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So, I go to see Yeovil away, Blackpool at home and Yeovil at home and I don't pay the fee. That seems pretty loyal to me.

Then, we draw Newcastle in the cup and someone who has just forked out £30 gets to go ahead of me in the line. Is that right? I'd have thought that those people prepared to rock up to watch Yeovil might be a bit more loyal than someone that has just forked out thirty notes.

Now, the Yeovil watcher will still have his or her loyalty points, but where do they go in the pecking order. Under then current system I know where they go, but under the membership system I'm not clear.

So, what you are saying is that you went to 2 games, and an away game, and that should be seen as loyalty? Like you say, your loyalty points will come into it in some way as yet unspecified, but by attending 2 home games how does that compare to a £30 membership? I'm not digging at someone who has been to 2 games, but loyalty is about a bit more than that isn't it? If we draw Spurs away again (for example) should someone who went to 2 games expect to get a ticket due to their 2 game loyalty?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So, what you are saying is that you went to 2 games, and an away game, and that should be seen as loyalty? Like you say, your loyalty points will come into it in some way as yet unspecified, but by attending 2 home games how does that compare to a £30 membership? I'm not digging at someone who has been to 2 games, but loyalty is about a bit more than that isn't it? If we draw Spurs away again (for example) should someone who went to 2 games expect to get a ticket due to their 2 game loyalty?

So it's all about cash then?

Let's say someone can't afford the thirty notes in order to receive nothing, but during the course of the season they will save up and try to go to some games. They pick a couple of low key games and an away game. It's spread out because that is when they can afford to go.

Then suddenly Spurs come to town, and some geezer who has shelled out thirty notes and only attended one game gets to go.

Now, let's look at it another way. No membership. Same scenario. Who has more loyalty points?

If you want to talk about rewarding loyalty, then reward loyalty. If you want to reward people that put their hands in their pockets in order to baggsy the best seats then talk about that.

All so unimaginative and predictable.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Maybe it's just me missing a big point here, in which case fine, I need to stop obsessing.

But...how many non-season ticket holders are likely to want to pay this 30 quid, depending upon the level of their holistic life aspirations?

There can't be that many really: 1,000? 3,000 maybe, at the most? 30 x 3000 is 90,000 quid - better than nothing, of course but absolute chicken feed in the grand scheme of things these days.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is from Barber:

"Tiers of the new membership scheme will be designed to suit personal preferences, aspirations and budgets. You may find that one of the tiers suits you - or none do in which case you will still be able to access tickets, subject to availability"

What's going on? What is all of this nonsense?

Am replying before reading the rest of the thread, so apologies if this has been said, but, what's the big deal?

Aspirations? It's just a posh word for "how many games you hope to attend". i.e. if you intend to attend every away match, there is a scheme that will help you.

'Subject to availability' is simply a legality. If they say "you can still access tickets outside of any of the schemes", and one of the away games limits attendance so that there are only enough tickets to cover members of the schemes, people who aren't members can't sue for false advertisement when a match comes along and a ticket isn't available.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here