Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I had a ticket, I didn't go and I didn't miss it [MERGED THREADS]

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's a bit harsh on Attila. Surely all snippets from DK are useful, we all love the Albion, and personally I don't care what the source is, so long as there is one.

There have been suggestions on ATC about how the club can attract new fans, or just importantly, inspire old ones to return. If anyone has any good ideas why not post them there. The Insider does a pretty good job at passing things on as far as I am aware.

I am only going to pay top rates IF I get to see Mr Hairy's pink shirt on a regular basis.

Sorry El P but it moves everything into Uberfan status which is boring - I don't need to tell you how I verbally abused the pink shirted one about his friendship with Ken do I ? :jester:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The supporters club is a very small minority and why should you have to pay to join something else to be heard.

My sentiments exactly.

What is wrong with the stakeholders (STH) ?
But then, who would want to put themselves in the firing line of wanting to be a supporters' representative, meeting the board to discuss a range of issues?

Not for me, thanks. If I have an issue, I'll write to the club myself, ta. If it's an issue which affects other people, I might well even put the reply on here.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Barry, hats off to you. I don't come on here that often, but that's the best post I've ever read.
Alan and Beach Hut are right. Dick Knight and the board are approachable to all - it shouldn't be up to me to need to act as a conduit and I'm not eye to eye with everyone there anymore anyway - anyone who thinks I'm part of a 'clique' should have been at the last Falmer For All meeting! The forthcoming stadium consultation meeting will be an ideal place for people to ask questions. And people who have grievances should simply phone the club and tell them. It is everyone's right to stand up and be counted...

Some people may think it is time for an independent supporters' association to restart. As far as I'm concerned we're all fighting the same corner, so since the 'war years' there has been no need - we have had enough enemies without fighting amongst ourselves......but if people feel differently, it's up to you!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Some great posts on this thread.
I don't go to any games now but only because I live in Wales and even if I did live in Brighton it would be difficult................................
so my take on this even if Brighton were in the lowest leagues I would still support them because they are my hometown team,I was born there,I lived there most of my life,and in the early days used to travel miles to watch them.
There have been good times and bad times (all clubs have these inc the united's of this world) we are now in a period of flux,lost a bit,no money which in turn means no players,once Falmer is here there will be money and for the first years it will mean balancing the money and getting the fans in, and then it should if managed well mean upwards and onwards.
WE WILL SEE.
as for Wilkins as a manager,I am sure given the money some "managers" spend he could be a world beater and it has to be remembered that all of the "managers" touted to take over when he went would have had more money than he ever has had while they were at other clubs(I am absolutely sure that if fergerson came to Brighton with our budget we would be in the same position or even worse as he would not be able to rely on coaches to do the job)
I must say that I am reasonably happy with the position we are in with what we have but.........................could DK reach down in the pocket and find a little(or a lot) of money just to buy that one player who in the future could become a culip,horton or fozzie (the first one) maybe O'c was that man but I feel its to late....

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I'm sorry for Portlock who doesn't feel as though he has been treated with the grace he feels he deserves, but I disagree when he says the club don't listen - or rather, I haven't had the same experience as him. I have the same amount of access to the club as anyone else, and I usually feel - even if the answers I get are not necessarily the ones I want to hear - that I have been listened to.

That's not uberfandom, it's more a sense of courtesy which I feel I have received in a way which, unfortunately for Portlock, he feels he hasn't.

I, too, feel extremely sorry for Portlock because he has had a raw deal from the club. But I think he has been extremely unlucky, and I don't think it's typical.

Twice, I've realised on the train down from London that I've left my ticket at home and have had a duplicate waiting for me at Withdean, and on both occasions I've been fortunate enough to be reimbursed when sending in the original ticket.

Unlike Storer68, I have received my free mid-season DVD through the post. I sent it to my 11-year-old nephew up in York as a Christmas present, as he's fast becoming a Seagull supporter (he's been to four northern away games and one match at Withdean). I called the club, explained the situation and asked whether I could purchase a replacement for myself, and they sent me one free-of-charge instead. Great customer service.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Unlike Storer68, I have received my free mid-season DVD through the post.

Is it any good........................

or does it have some shit stirring loanee telling us how much he loves it down here, and can't waiot to sit down with the Gaffer to thrash out a deal :lol::lol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is it any good........................

or does it have some shit stirring loanee telling us how much he loves it down here, and can't waiot to sit down with the Gaffer to thrash out a deal :lol::lol:

I can confirm the shit stirring bit

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can confirm the shit stirring bit

its just DK wittering on about brilliant goals isnt it...or is that something else.....the goals are brilliant BTW

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think most of us agree that its Withdean fatigue that makes us feel less rosy with the Albion. So what can be done about?

Somebody mentioned whether B&H City Council could reduce their charge for Withdean. Somebody else replied, that in turn would leave City Council tax payers to make up the difference. Would it? Does anyone know if B&H City Council make a profit on Withdean.

Put it this way, Withdean will remain once Falmer is up and running with only a few runners to occupy it. How will B&H City Council pay for it then? I know there are other costs involved in allowing a football match, but the day to day costs wont be radically different. Withdean will still need to be maintained (running track, etc)

I think there is plenty of room for the Council to reduce their charge for the Albion, with the proviso that the Albion reduce ticket prices accordingly.

I think Councils should support their football teams. They are part and parcel of our community. The Council certainly puts in a lot of money for say the Festival. Leeds City Council has actively helped Leeds Utd i.e reduced their business rate. See link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6389931.stm

Similarly, lets renegotiate the transport part of the ticket. I know you can get a bus, train etc in the cost of a ticket, but it makes the ticket price look artificially high

We are never gonna get a ticket price that is say a tenner, but if it could be reduced to say £17-18, then maybe in some small part we could attract and keep our fans.

The council will never entertain the idea of reducing the rent. Other businesses would start asking for reductions as well.

I think the idea of the travel ticket is a good one. I appreciate it does discrimate against people who live locally and walk to the ground but rarely are initiatives 100% perfect. It has worked well in the main and I hope it continues to Falmer.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Storer 68

On a serious note having read his thread if people of his standing as an Albion fan are beginning to waver it is a sad day for the club.
*For younger posters and 'new' supporters Storer 68 was one of the original fanzine editors, And Smith Must Score, from 20 years ago and 100% Albion through and through.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
On a serious note having read his thread if people of his standing as an Albion fan are beginning to waver it is a sad day for the club.
*For younger posters and 'new' supporters Storer 68 was one of the original fanzine editors, And Smith Must Score, from 20 years ago and 100% Albion through and through.

Forgive me for saying, but he quite clearly is not 100% Albion through and through!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think it Storer68 has made a decision, and for now he will stick with his conviction. I don't imagine he will ever go and support or follow another team, he will be back. But I agree with Harty, and others, he is a stallwart fan, who has obviously fallen off the track for now, he will get back on, hopefully sooner rather than later. And it is a worry if people like him are falling by the wayside, what chance do the "new" and younger fans have?

Come back Pat, don't step into the light ;)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Trust Harty to start another thread. He's all showbiz.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here