Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I had a ticket, I didn't go and I didn't miss it [MERGED THREADS]

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think most of us agree that its Withdean fatigue that makes us feel less rosy with the Albion. So what can be done about?

Somebody mentioned whether B&H City Council could reduce their charge for Withdean. Somebody else replied, that in turn would leave City Council tax payers to make up the difference. Would it? Does anyone know if B&H City Council make a profit on Withdean.

Put it this way, Withdean will remain once Falmer is up and running with only a few runners to occupy it. How will B&H City Council pay for it then? I know there are other costs involved in allowing a football match, but the day to day costs wont be radically different. Withdean will still need to be maintained (running track, etc)

I think there is plenty of room for the Council to reduce their charge for the Albion, with the proviso that the Albion reduce ticket prices accordingly.

I think Councils should support their football teams. They are part and parcel of our community. The Council certainly puts in a lot of money for say the Festival. Leeds City Council has actively helped Leeds Utd i.e reduced their business rate. See link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6389931.stm

Similarly, lets renegotiate the transport part of the ticket. I know you can get a bus, train etc in the cost of a ticket, but it makes the ticket price look artificially high

We are never gonna get a ticket price that is say a tenner, but if it could be reduced to say £17-18, then maybe in some small part we could attract and keep our fans.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think I have an analysis of why some people are losing motivation.

In the past when things have been bad there has been a villian that most fans can rally together and unite against. On the manager front Barry Lloyd comes to mind. On the Chairman front we all know about Bill Archer. As Attila says a lot of people put in a lot of energy to save the club from these people.

So what is the situation now? Sure I think there is Withdean fatigue (and the pricing) but nobody can argue that the playing side is great either. We do not have the momentum and passion we had under, for example, Mickey Adams. But who is to blame? Dick Knight has done too much for the club for most people to feel angry at. Dean Wilkins - not a great manager, but a likeable guy doing his best; with a general feeling that nobody better would come if he was sacked.

So we have a poor stadium, high prices, not great football and nobody to easily blame. This leads to a feeling of helplessness and eventually lack of motivation. I think those of you who are still positive are great, but not everyone is the same and that doesnt make them bad supporters. I think we need the momentum of the first building work happening at Falmer and more successful, attractive football. Is the latter possible under current circumstances? It was under Adams, Coppell, Taylor and part of the time under McGhee. Or were we spoiled then? I hope not....
That is an excellent analysis; as someone else has said, you should post more often. You could also add LDC, FPC, Norman Baker, the Greens, the Regency Society, Forfars, etc etc under the 'villans' section. Now that we've won the planning battle, and whilst I still wouldn't piss on Melanie Cutress if she were on fire, there is no longer a battle flag to rally round.

My own personal gripe is all-seater stadium. Sitting down has ruined football for me. Even Alex Ferguson has complained about the atmosphere at Old Trafford, and as we all know it's far worse at Withdean. At least in the old days you could jump about a bit, now I have to spend 90 minutes sitting in a cramped seat.

Leaving aside the outside factors in our own internal civil war my pet hate is those who moan about the 'casual' fans. Yes thousands of us 'come out of the woodwork' for the big games - and some are a lot deeper in the woodwork than me. Largely for the reasons you've stated we can't, currently, be arsed with the (full-priced) run-of-the-mill League games. So what would the moaners rather see? Do they really only want to see about 6,000 Brighton fans rattling around places like the Millennium Stadium, White Hart Lane or, if we get to the JPT final, Wembley? No? Well shut up then.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I don't know about you, but i'm WELL up for saturday's game.

I keep looking at pictures of colchester's new stadium, sure its only 10,000 capacity but I really can't wait till i've got pictures of our new home that I can browse on the web and pick my seat.

The problem with the attitude of three of the replies (and others on this site) is that we have a dwindling band of supporters and you are hostile and dismissive of anyone who isnt 100% loyal to whatever crap is dished up by the club.

I am not often to moved to write but you are idiots. Some people - and I know many - used to go every match as recently as last season and cannot now be motivated to go. This is a serious problem. In the past these people would have been angry - now they have lost interest. This suggests something is wrong with the football and /or the way the club is run. Ask why people are turning away?

Ignore it and dismiss it at your peril - or you few who dismiss anyone with a different view will be sitting on your own watching conference football in a crowd of 1500. I, for one, do not want that and will still speak up (for now - soon maybe I will give up too.)

I often see people leaving before the final whistle, and wonder if it's really worth getting an early seat on the bus to risk missing a goal.
And, I bet several people DID miss the winning goal yesterday, and are left asking what it was like, what did they iss, where can they see it replayed?

Now there are people complaining and ANNOUNCING how they are happy to miss the whole game!

Hahaha, I laugh at your whinging. You want guarantees? Watch United, they are YOUR type of team - seldom lose, completely discombobulated if they do, and expect refs to be on their side.
You 'types' never SHOULD have been 1st Division fans, you can't handle it, you can't accept the real world of it.

Keep complaining, it's actually quite funny stuff to read :laugh:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Now there are people complaining and ANNOUNCING how they are happy to miss the whole game!

Hahaha, I laugh at your whinging. You want guarantees? Watch United, they are YOUR type of team - seldom lose, completely discombobulated if they do, and expect refs to be on their side.
You 'types' never SHOULD have been 1st Division fans, you can't handle it, you can't accept the real world of it.

Keep complaining, it's actually quite funny stuff to read :laugh:

NMH :clap2:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
because I never thought I would find myself not going to a a home game because I couldn't be bothered.
and even worse, not missing it.:eek:

After years as a STH at the old ground, and years marching, leafleting, lobbying, and painting the bridges of Sussex... when the battle to oust those wankers was won and the club was safely in the hands of DK, I too gave up!

I was just exactly like you sound now. I couldn't be arsed with Gillingham. Only went once and that in the away end for the Fans Utd game with Donny. It was awful. The Albion came back to Brighton. I still didn't go. I used to watch Burgess Hill Town most weeks, and others went to the pictures or shopping (like Bas) I completely lost interest in the Albion. And I didn't miss it.
It struck me one day when I was actually at Halifax Town v Orient, on the same day that the Albion were home to York. Why the hell had I gone to Yorkshire, when Yorkshire had come to Brighton?

But I'd lost interest. I didn't care about the Albion any more. They weren't the team I'd supported since 1968. Different kit, players, manager, ground. Some one suggested that perhaps I had hated Archer and Bellotti more than I loved the Albion. f***ing shook me up I don't mind telling you. Could they be right?

Then someone got me a ticket for the 3rd Division championship game at Withdean and I went along. I saw all my old friends, the same old faces and they seemed not to resent my absence but who were pleased to see me. Not quite prodigal son you understand, but along those lines.

The next year I shared a ST with a mate. The next I got my own.

I haven't missed more than a couple of home games since. I've been to eight away games this year and wouldn't miss the piss pot game on Tuesday night for all the Johnstones paint in Fuckup DIY.

Ten years ago I would never have believed that I could have given it up.

Seven years ago I would never have believed I would go back.

BUT I AM BACK. As keen as ever.

And I am quite sure that you too will be back some day. Because as we told that bastard from Mellor, players and chairmen come and go, but the fans will always be there.

I look forward to seeing you back there............when you're ready.
We'll keep it going in the meantime for you.

:albion2::ascarf:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
NMH may think he is very clever but there is a real problem here. The trouble with this board is there is a 3 line Whip to try and keep everyone in check and any criticism of anything with the club ( unless it is McGhee of course ) is downtroden and disregarded. This is a very dangerous stance to take and as damaging if not more so than people asking questions about the club.

I think most of us agree that its Withdean fatigue that makes us feel less rosy with the Albion. So what can be done about?

Somebody mentioned whether B&H City Council could reduce their charge for Withdean. Somebody else replied, that in turn would leave City Council tax payers to make up the difference. Would it? Does anyone know if B&H City Council make a profit on Withdean.

Put it this way, Withdean will remain once Falmer is up and running with only a few runners to occupy it. How will B&H City Council pay for it then? I know there are other costs involved in allowing a football match, but the day to day costs wont be radically different. Withdean will still need to be maintained (running track, etc)

I think there is plenty of room for the Council to reduce their charge for the Albion, with the proviso that the Albion reduce ticket prices accordingly.

I think Councils should support their football teams. They are part and parcel of our community. The Council certainly puts in a lot of money for say the Festival. Leeds City Council has actively helped Leeds Utd i.e reduced their business rate. See link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6389931.stm

Similarly, lets renegotiate the transport part of the ticket. I know you can get a bus, train etc in the cost of a ticket, but it makes the ticket price look artificially high

We are never gonna get a ticket price that is say a tenner, but if it could be reduced to say £17-18, then maybe in some small part we could attract and keep our fans.

Back to the thread subject;
I would have thought that the running costs and peripherals have already been taken into account, and that any margins for adjustments would have already been addressed by now.
The transport has to meet their own costs and profit lines, and the club has (really has) to meet theirs. Withdean is rented, I believe, by BHAFC, and so it's not up to the council to do anything more or less beyond that. There are requirements the club had to meet in order to appease and qualify - to local residents, the Withdean Stadium ownership/admin, the Football Association, and local Council ordinances.
This WILL all disperse and change when the club move to Falmer, but after all this time, I doubt there's much room for change or improvements.
Be happy, for the time being, that BHAFC matches take place within the city at all!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
AID the guy is a life long Albion fan he WILL BE MISSED. Thats the whole point.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
NMH may think he is very clever but there is a real problem here. The trouble with this board is there is a 3 line Whip to try and keep everyone in check and any criticism of anything with the club ( unless it is McGhee of course ) is downtroden and disregarded. This is a very dangerous stance to take and as damaging if not more so than people asking questions about the club.

Though I do think that a little optimism is often called for, Uncle, to brighten up the gloom and doom that I, personally, feel is unwarranted.

I resent the fact that people on here who try to be positive are called arse-lickers - just as much as you resent this so-called three-line whip.

Yes, I think I am very clever. It's all I think about - except when I'm thinking "Uncle Spielberg is a moron". But then, that just makes me realize how CLEVER I really must be.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You are nowhere near as clever as you obviously think you are. The post above proves it, what wit, what intelligence, what style, yes what, exactly none

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I went yesterday. I spoke to the guy that I've been sitting next to for the last 3 - 4 seasons as we're both season ticket holders. We hadn't seen each other at a game since about September.

We commented on this, and then I explained that I'd been busy decorating and he'd had some family things and been ill a couple of time, but we both said that we could have made more games if we'd had more enthusiasm.

This seemsto be a common view. Now,
is this just something affecting a few of us;
is it something you go through after going to every home game for many years;
are we getting disillusioned with what we are watching every week;
are we getting fed up with the lack of signings and the stories of who we've missed out on.

Also, I know that Withdean is fairly quiet, but yesterday was so quiet it was like being in Church (not Charlotte, as I'm sure that would be a bit noisier).

Concur. I’ve said in previous emails recently that it’s just something about the Albion these days; the clubs lost a lot of goodwill from diehard fans from me. As ever it’s an accumulation of a lot of little things over time. I’ve written to the club recently on 2 occasions; once to give some detailed feedback that many of NSC applauded and agreed with. Result? Not even acknowledged by our new MD, Ken Brown. Secondly I sent in my original ticket once found having paid for a duplicate at the time as per the club’s process. Result? No reply and certainly no refund. So that home game cost me £50 (and you can get ‘em for a tenner these days! ) When I re-enquired, again no reply. So I gave up. Shocking though? Club’s always asking for you to put things in writing but in my experience, don’t waste a stamp everyone. They just don’t give a **** anymore it seems. Add other niggles like cup ticket fiascos, an unsavoury incident towards my disabled nephew by stewards (which really upset my family and I) and I’m likely giving up being a STH from next season having been one for every year at Withdean (and both at Gillingham). Especially now that it’s clear you can get in a lot cheaper than by buying a ST.

Those of you who want to pour cold water on my comments or nit-pick (you’ve already been called idiots by others like Dr Badger and he’s right to do so) then go ahead but you’re missing the point. But those like Attila who recognise that losing former die-hards like me and Storer68 is a worrying development that the club ought to be addressing are right to treat such posts seriously. Perhaps more influential fans like Attila could get this message across and feedback to supporters via the club website, programme or NSC?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
A few thoughts:

Falmer: I genuinely think there will be an update from the club in the non too distant future and all is well on the project but given our fairly unique recent (last ten years) history it is hardly surprising people tend to be suspicious of the board and anyone else in authority!

Attendance: There is no way you can spin Withdean to be a great day/evening out but I think we are now feeling the hangover from not being able to easily have children at matches in the mind 90s who would now be young adults coming to matches under their own steam.

Team Funding: I personally think the next five years are going to be interesting times in English football in as much as how long the foreign investors in Premiership teams are going to hang around for. If the money goes from the top level it will effect the entire pyramid, which would open the door for well run clubs like us.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Those of you who want to pour cold water on my comments or nit-pick (you’ve already been called idiots by others like Dr Badger and he’s right to do so) then go ahead but you’re missing the point. But those like Attila who recognise that losing former die-hards like me and Storer68 is a worrying development that the club ought to be addressing are right to treat such posts seriously. Perhaps more influential fans like Attila could get this message across and feedback to supporters via the club website, programme or NSC?

What makes YOU so important? While you been chosing to throw your toys out of the pram, my 16yo son has been encouraging as many of his mates to come along and enjoy the Withdean experience - and they do. That is what is IMPORTANT to me, not a few grumpy old hectors who can't be bothered any more.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have been a fan for 35 years and a sth at Withdean since the first day and will continue to do so but the club is haemorraging fans at an alarming rate and that cannot go on any longer without at least try to find the reasons and redress it

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
After years as a STH at the old ground, and years marching, leafleting, lobbying, and painting the bridges of Sussex... when the battle to oust those wankers was won and the club was safely in the hands of DK, I too gave up!

I was just exactly like you sound now. I couldn't be arsed with Gillingham. Only went once and that in the away end for the Fans Utd game with Donny. It was awful. The Albion came back to Brighton. I still didn't go. I used to watch Burgess Hill Town most weeks, and others went to the pictures or shopping (like Bas) I completely lost interest in the Albion. And I didn't miss it.
It struck me one day when I was actually at Halifax Town v Orient, on the same day that the Albion were home to York. Why the hell had I gone to Yorkshire, when Yorkshire had come to Brighton?

But I'd lost interest. I didn't care about the Albion any more. They weren't the team I'd supported since 1968. Different kit, players, manager, ground. Some one suggested that perhaps I had hated Archer and Bellotti more than I loved the Albion. f***ing shook me up I don't mind telling you. Could they be right?

Then someone got me a ticket for the 3rd Division championship game at Withdean and I went along. I saw all my old friends, the same old faces and they seemed not to resent my absence but who were pleased to see me. Not quite prodigal son you understand, but along those lines.

The next year I shared a ST with a mate. The next I got my own.

I haven't missed more than a couple of home games since. I've been to eight away games this year and wouldn't miss the piss pot game on Tuesday night for all the Johnstones paint in Fuckup DIY.

Ten years ago I would never have believed that I could have given it up.

Seven years ago I would never have believed I would go back.

BUT I AM BACK. As keen as ever.

And I am quite sure that you too will be back some day. Because as we told that bastard from Mellor, players and chairmen come and go, but the fans will always be there.

I look forward to seeing you back there............when you're ready.
We'll keep it going in the meantime for you.

:albion2::ascarf:

Excellent post, Sir.

You are nowhere near as clever as you obviously think you are. The post above proves it, what wit, what intelligence, what style, yes what, exactly none

Keep it up US, you are looking smarter and more self-assured by the minute.

I'll look for you under every bridge.

:rant: :laugh:

Meanwhile, I must just go now and rub some ointment into my ever-expanding brain, and get a meat helmet so you don't find it so EASY to see exactly what I'm thinking. ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here