Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypothetical: Today, you're appointed the manager of Brighton & Hove Albion

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
Mickey Adams employed them and then I believe DK gave them contracts so the other managers had to keep them.

I did say I dont know what they do on the training ground and can only judge them by the results on the field which at the moment don't look very convincing. Perhaps they are the bees knees who knows.
You base your judgement of the management team on one criterion only, when as you yourself admit, you haven't a clue what their roles are? Quality assessment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As an outsider how else can I or anybody else judge them, how are we all judging the players McCammon especially as we are told how well they perform on the training ground.

We can only make judgements based on what we see on the pitch.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:

Many myopic chairman judge them purely on results.

I rest my case why has there not been changes.

I once had a problem with a barman,who was giving drink to his girlfriend, when this showed up on a stocktake my boss came to me threw the stock report on my desk and said. " Either you sort it or I do and I start at the top". I sorted it and we had a terrific time together the best boss I ever worked for who still asks me now to help him out if he is in trouble.

Perhaps DK need adopt the same atitude.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
I rest my case why has there not been changes.

I once had a problem with a barman,who was giving drink to his girlfriend, when this showed up on a stocktake my boss came to me threw the stock report on my desk and said. " Either you sort it or I do and I start at the top". I sorted it and we had a terrific time together the best boss I ever worked for who still asks me now to help him out if he is in trouble.

Perhaps DK need adopt the same atitude.
You're assuming the problem is with the top and not the bottom.

As you said, you don't know, but your first role would be to not bother finding out, sack them and employ someone who has no interest in coaching. I was always told that you have to work out what the problem is before you can solve it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This was a hypothetical situation that had to be remedeed in 1 day so drastic steps would have to be taken and if it isnt the managers gfault the position that we are in and we do not have the money to bring in many better players who else is there left to carry the can.

I could not blame the Chairman (whoever it was) could I as he is the boss

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
This was a hypothetical situation that had to be remedeed in 1 day so drastic steps would have to be taken and if it isnt the managers gfault the position that we are in and we do not have the money to bring in many better players who else is there left to carry the can.

I could not blame the Chairman (whoever it was) could I as he is the boss
It's not blame we're looking at, it's remedy. The hypothesis could run for another 21 days when the transfer window closes.

Infernal Optimist said:
If Dodd gets fit we can consider a return to 4-4-2 but Mayo cannot cut it at LB and Lynch is too much of a risk at the minute.

Wouldn't it be a bit risky to play Frutos and Carole as wing backs?

Can see problems with defensive stability in that formation.

Uncle Buck said:
Rightho.

Providing Henderson signs, I would look to get Kuipers set up with a new club. He has been a loyal servant, but is as a senior pro going to be towards the top of the pay scale and his recent injury records are a worry. Henderson and Chaigenau are adequate to cover that position and I would make sure Martin and Sullivan are on longish term contracts and seek to get them loaned out to some senior football experience.

Offloading players, well if McCammon and McPhee could be removed from the wage bill I would. Oatways contract renewal would be put on hold until he has proved his fitness, we do not want a repeat of the Blackwell situation. Carpenter, Hart, Nicolas and Mayo would be told they are playing for their futures.

I would look to use the small transfer budget to bring in an experienced forward such as Shipperley who can lead the line.

I would then be looking to raid Premiership clubs for loans. A player such as Ifill at Spurs could be the left back answer and with regards to midfielders, White, Booker and Hinsh are going to be watching a lot of games to find some answers there.

The formation would be changed to 5-3-2. Butters height is needed, but his lack of pace is a worry. However with McShane and El-Abd (Adam Hinshlewood when fit) alongside him, this can be covered.

Reid would get a run at right wing back, but once Hinshlewood is back, El-Abd would also be challenging for that role.

Regarding the left wing back role, this would hopefully be filled by a loanee, however if needed Mayo would be given a run, if not him Rents would be tried out.

Midfield would be Carpenter and Hammond for the moment, with Carole in a free ish role (like Brooker played in this formation), however loanee midfielder(s) would challenge in this area. Also Nicolas and Frazer would be challenging Hammond and Carpenter.

Up front would be Shipperley style player to lead the line with CKR as his partner to start with and Robinson challenging.

The problem of playing 3-5-2 is that you damage the best-performing (offensively) part of the team, the two French wingers, Frutos and Carole. You are forced to drop Frutos and play Carole out of position in central midfield, where he has no experience (surprising this decision of yours, given your oft-stated hostility to McGhee selecting players out of position).

Agree we need a Shiperley type desperately.

And I think your instincts regarding Kuipers are sound. It is better to let him get some first-team football in the lower leagues rather than rot away behind Hendo.

In an ideal world, I would like to sign a streetwise central midfielder because there are big question marks over whether Nicolas could cope with the physical rigours of a basement battle scrap and we need a more imposing player to balance the two wingers.

But the targetman and leftback are the absolute priorities for our limited cash, in that order, although I would prepared to blow the lot if it meant getting Shipperley and then have to risk it with Lynch and El Abd at LB.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BensGrandad said:
ISign Dave Shipperley from Sheff Utd 6 month deal
+

I had a mad momernt and put Dave Shipperley when of course it should have been Neil Shipperley. However, did we not have a Dave Shipperley play against us some years ago a centre back for somebody possibly Gillingham , Orient or similar the name seems to ringa bell and a description of a big Micky Droy type player comes to mind.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There are some very interesting and thought-provoking answers here (except for Sheebo - the pissed up gobshite, and 1066 - the sober gobshite :rolleyes: ). Most people agree on about five of the team. However, no two people have come up with exactly the same answer.

There is no clear train of thought on which keeper to use. Some say play FDM, others say get rid. Some say play Chaigneau, others Henderson. Some say play Lynch, others say keep him back but definitely involve him. Some have no place for Hinshelwood, some have no place for Chippy. A couple would have Hinshelwood in, but only in a team which changes its formation. Some want Hammond in, some say rest him.

One person even says sack half the backroom staff, and bring in a marketing guru.

There is also an interesting array of potential 'wants' to sign on loan, but as we say it is hypothetical. Although Shipperley, or a Shipperley-type player does appear to be popular.

My point is this - if people on here can't agree the best team or even the best system, and they don't even pick the team, how can McGhee be expected to gain support if so many disagree not only with his choices, but with everyone else's? The bloke is in a no-win situation. (And I don't mean 'we know, it's only been five since last February')

I fully respect all the ideas on here, and understand that they are just opinions - and that we're all entitled to have them of course, but seeing as there is no clear guiding line from NSC on exactly how we do go forward (with so much agreeing and disagreeing with each other), what say we cut McGhee some slack and give him all the support we can for all the choices it is his responsibility to make?

:)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have I still got the job if I promise not to sack any of the backroom staff.

TLO read my last posting re Dave Shipperley do you remember anybody of that name.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
Have I still got the job if I promise not to sack any of the backroom staff.

TLO read my last posting re Dave Shipperley do you remember anybody of that name.
No and no.

We've employed Graham Taylor instead. But you can do the marketing for 'Bring Grandads for a quid'.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
No and no.

We've employed Graham Taylor instead. But you can do the marketing for 'Bring Grandads for a quid'.

Is that if they are accompanied by their grandad so we dont give too much away.

I will have to ask a proper old fan about Dave Shipperley as I am certain that there was one:lolol: :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dave Shipperley was a towering centre-half, built like the proverbial brick outhouse, and looked even more fearsome with the then fashionable long hair and beard. The sort of player that home fans idolise, and opposition fans target. Amazingly, Gills had got him from Charlton on a free transfer, where he had been in some dispute with them and gone on strike to work as a dustman. He dominated in defence with his heading and crunching tackles, was an obvious aerial danger at set pieces, and electrified the crowd when from time to time he decided to charge forward with the ball like a runaway tank. His only weakness was a tendency to go down with cramp late in the game, which occasionally cost us a goal. It was like the felling of a mighty battle warrior 'Ship is down - oh no, Ship is down!'

Gills had a tough baptism back in the Third Division, and only won once in the first 14 games, leaving us three points adrift at the bottom. A win against Brighton closed the gap, and then came news that Dave would miss the Friday night game at Southend because he had been at All Saint’s Maternity Hospital all the previous night. Manager Len Ashurst wasn’t that sympathetic. ‘I’m pleased to tell the fans that there’s another Shipperley giant with us, and Dave plays. He’s got another mouth to feed so he needs the win bonuses.’ The new arrival was Neil Shipperley. Dave and the Gills celebrated by getting a 2-2 draw which gave us lift-off to mid-table security, and I celebrated by getting a parking ticket.

Thought I was right it was Neil Shipperleys father .1974

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here