Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypothetical: Today, you're appointed the manager of Brighton & Hove Albion

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not seen the list we're supposed to be selecting from, but given £60,000, I'd be tempted to blow the lot on a short term pay-as-you-play contract to cover the remainder of this season only, on a striker of proven ability who's maybe coming to the end of his career. Onandi Lowe, say, if he was available. He'd have to be sifx foot minimum, able to head the ball in a way that wasn't just faking it, and I'd pair him with Jake Robinson, our TRICKIEST remaining forward by far. I'd send CKR out on loan to teach him he's not half as good as he thinks he is. Trolley could go on indefinite loan to any of the major supermarket chains, Chris McPhee given a free to the non-league, and Turienzo got rid of in a straight swop for his agent (OK, his agent would be playing out of position, but heigh-ho! there we go...)

And next summer I'd hire a proper full-time scout to scour the non-league and the foreign destinations of the budget airlines for PROPER talent, rather than wait for the desperation of the January sales.

Dandyman

In London village.
Lammy said:
I'd play Kuipers as my first string keeper.

I'd put Joel Lynch at Left back. He at least deserved a second effort after Soton game.

I'd leave Mayo in Midfield as cover for Oatway. He's able to do a man marking role and generally put himself about a bit in order to break up play.

I'd play Hinsh and Butter in the centre of defence (once Hinsh is match fit)

I'd play Reid at right back.

Fruty and Carol on the wings.

Chippy in the centre of the park doing his best to put his foot on the ball and take set pieces. I'd Like to buy a replacement for this role and use Chippy as cover though ideally. Not a priority but next in line for available funds.

Up front.

Kasim-Richards would get a regular start. Depending on the size of the opposition I'd play either McCammon or Robinson alongside. Preferably Robinson so that he can develop as a player. There is no future in McCammon and so I'd only use him if I really had to.

I'd offload:

McPhee, Dodd, Turenzo (sp?), McCammon as soon as a replacement became available.

As we don't have the luxury of squad rotation I'd try my best to pick the same team each week so that some sort of understanding could be formed.

I'd target ALL my money at one player. We have very little money to spend but we need quality. Youth team player will have to cover injuries. We're only looking to stay up after all. The sort of player I'd like to go for is a seasoned pro that has been and done it all before. Hopefully I'd be able to negotiate a pay as you play contract for 2 years or something. This would have an immediate affect but more crucially provide someone for Richards and Robinson to learn from.

Agree with most of that. Kuipers has been a wonderful asset at the club but IMO is at the stage where he is unlikley to go long without injury and so Henderson would be my first choice. This might also save something on wages.

AS UB said I would also up the training regime to ensure players can play for 90 minutes, If we do not already have one I would seek the advice of a sports nutrionist, as well.

If there is a cheap and slightly younger version of Teddy Sheringham around that would be my ideal forward buy.

Dandyman

In London village.
Tom Hark said:
Any particular reason?

A mixture of his age (32 in June - although I accept there have been many older top flight goalies) and the fact that he has not played more than 30 league games in a season since 2001/2002.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
If I was appointed manager I'd sack myself and put in Richie Morris as manager and 1066 as first team coach.

I'd split the cash between them 50 / 50 for wages.

Sorted

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
I'd play Hendo in goal, release Chaigneau and have Kuipers in reserve.

Defensively I would keep Reid at right back assuming Doddsy is injured, Butters and Hinsh at centre back and sign Chris Powell at left back on loan for the rest of the season (wishful thinking), and give Lynch the odd game here and there to keep him developing.
Kerry and Harty are useful backups in the team and worth having to slot in other positions in midfield when injuries and suspensions hit. I'd kill to have Virgs back on loan but I can't see it happening.

I would deploy Mcshane in a holding midfield role and rotate Chippy, Hammond and George O Callaghan from Cork City for about £30K, who a good box to box midfielder.
Out wide we are pretty sorted with Carole and Frutos but for games where we need a bit of defensive stability I'd play Hammond wide left. I'd try and send Alexis out on loan to for a month to get some games and form back and wave goodbye to Albie Jarrett who has pace but not the touch or subtlety as a player for this level.

Up front I'd sign either Trevor Benjamin or Callum Willock from Peterborough.
I reckon £50K would make Fry part with one of them. I'd try and get someone like Quincy Owusu as well from the Arse, but we'd be probably pretty far down the queue so big Les Ferdinand could come in and do a job till the end of season. I'd probably give CKR the nod as the second striker over Jake for his better scoring rate at present. I'd wave goodbye to El Turi and Chris Mcphee who is a hard working honest striker but just not ruthless enough.

What do I know though eh?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BensGrandad said:
The reasons that I would sack BB and DW are because it would reduce the wages along with the ones to go out on loan to free up more money for incoming wages and hopefully balance the books plus I am not at the training ground to see what they actually do and can only judge by what happens on the field and at the moment that isnt good recommendation for them.

What a stupid and wasteful set of managers we have had.

Obviously you know better than Micky Adams, Steve Coppell, Peter Taylor and Mark McGhee who have all seen fit to employ Bob Booker and Dean White at the football club.

You really rate yourself, don't you ?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Easy 10 said:
:D Lovely stuff.
So Freddy Eastwood would come down here on loan, when he's fired Southend to the top of the table and they've already turned down bids of £750k for him ? OK, sounds good. And I like the idea of having Joel Lynch in a starting 16 though - the only problem with that may be with the FA when we try to persuade them to allow us to have 5 additional players on the field, but worth a go I suppose.

Having Tom Brighton on a 'wanted list', although not making any actual approach to him is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure how that would help us in our current situation. As for Shaun Wright-Phillips for nothing till the end of the season, well he only cost Chelsea £21m in the summer so hey, why not ? Might as well see if Lampard might be interested as well while we're at it.

As you say, we can hope and try.
:lolol:

:lolol: :lolol:, i can't believe he would ever suggest SWP.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We should sign;

Bendtner
Bent D
Bent M
Butt
Tudgay
Tugay

play Cox...

...and bring Shirtliff in as boss.

What?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
hans kraay fan club said:
We should sign;

Bendtner
Bent D
Bent M
Butt
Tudgay
Tugay

play Cox...

...and bring Shirtliff in as boss.

What?

and be taken over by Russian billionaire GAYdamak. :safeway2:

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Listed

Trolley - Free
McPhee - Free
Robinson (loan)
G. Elphick (loan)
M Kuipers (£20,000)

IN

Barnard - Free (Spurs have already told him he can go)

Shipperly - Free (If we can take over his contract) Bradley Wright-Phillips on loan if not.

Jackson - Tottenham - Loan with a view to a free transfer

Wise - Free transfer till end of season.

A left back from somewhere.

I think we should play 3-5-2 until we can get a left back in or Dodd is fit.

Team

Henderson

Hinch/Mayo
Butters
McShane

Carole
Wise
Carpenter
Jackson
Frutos

Shipperly
CKR

Subs

Mayo
Hart
Barnard
Reid
Hammond

First thing I would tell the players is that we are playing this formation with essentially the same team for the next 5 games. We desperately need stability and confidence.

I would tell them that Carole, Frutos and Jackson have licence to get forward, Wise and Chippy holding. We will get hammered from time to time but wins are what is needed not hoping to grind out 0-0 draws and the odd win.

If Dodd gets fit we can consider a return to 4-4-2 but Mayo cannot cut it at LB and Lynch is too much of a risk at the minute.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Would release McCammon, Molango, Mcphee and Mayo at the end of the season.

Loan out for Turienzo, Gatting, Cox, the Elphicks and Jarrett.

Sell Kuipers for a fee.

Bring in a striker on loan, as well as a creative midfielder.

Buy a left back.

No idea who though :lolol:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Titanic said:
What a stupid and wasteful set of managers we have had.

Obviously you know better than Micky Adams, Steve Coppell, Peter Taylor and Mark McGhee who have all seen fit to employ Bob Booker and Dean White at the football club.

You really rate yourself, don't you ?

Mickey Adams employed them and then I believe DK gave them contracts so the other managers had to keep them.

I did say I dont know what they do on the training ground and can only judge them by the results on the field which at the moment don't look very convincing. Perhaps they are the bees knees who knows.

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
hans kraay fan club said:
You base this supposition on what, exactly?

I base this on his ONE league appearence
so far.

A relegation battle is not the time to throw kids in, especially in such a physical division as the Championship...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here