Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull Stewards & Police

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Richie Morris said:
I just dont think there is even a need to say that much to be honest.

Another case of NSC being the judge jury and executioner.

Considering a club official posts on here I think it is not fair to post hearsay etc.

I just hope the club are sensible enough to ignore the gossip on here.

Young Richard, that is one of the most sensible things you have ever written on here. Only taken 5 years!!!

:clap2:

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Yorkie said:
I would like to know how the police choose which games they send extra riot police to.

A couple of seasons ago we played Sheff Wed (who never cause any problems) on Easter Monday at Withdean.
The whole place was crawling with police, vans, cctv etc all the way along London Rd.

I wonder whether it was anything to do with double pay on Bank Holidays?

Firstly, yes we (Police) do get double pay on Bank Holidays but your inference that we all clamour to jump on the Bank Holiday double time bandwagon is not true I'm afraid. The Police authority and senior officers resent paying double time for obvious reasons and it isn't unusual to actually be told that you wont be working as they don't want to pay the double time. In fact where I work, recently on some of the busiest Bank Holidays we have been deliberately taken down to minimum strength to avoid paying double time.

Each game during the season is assessed and given a category A, B or C with A being the highest risk. Whatever category is given determines the amount of Police in attendance. I'm not entirely sure how games are categorised but they take into account such things as historical problems between clubs, expected crowd attendance with an emphasis on Away attendance, time of day of kick off, midweek or weekend and even weather conditions. Also taken into account is whether the game is on a bank holiday, this is more important in a place like brighton where the numbers of visitors is higher on such days. Also key is the fact that more people will drink more and also come down the night before because it is a bank holiday. Generally, all those things together (and other similar reasons) are deemed to make bank holiday a higher risk fixture. That is why the police presence is more obvious on bank holiday games.

As for the 'riot' police, gone are the days when unprotected 'bobbies' in their shirtsleeves could patrol the grounds and streets outside. It's a reflection of how things are these days and at the end of the day if it all kicked off and there weren't enough police there and they weren't protected adequately we would be criticised for that too.

I think most league clubs use a similar system to determine the police response for their matches. It's just a shame that more coppers aren't diehard footy fans like me and actually take the time to engage fans in conversation and banter and create a better atmosphere.

Collar Feeler

Jul 26, 2003
Oh and another thing, most stewards are complete arseholes and twats. They don't possess even the slightest amount of common sense and in many cases are the cause of problems inside the grounds. God knows where they source them from, there must be some sort of pool or agency of failed doorstaff somewhere. I took great delight last season in threatening to eject a steward from Withdean for being heavy handed and over zealous to a group of Plymouth fans causing no particular problems other than shouting some mild abuse at the Ref!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know for a fact that it is a piece of piss to become a Hull City steward because a mate of mine at uni was one.

He got no training and said that almost everyone else who was doing the job liked nothing more then to wind up away fans.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
XooX said:
Oh and another thing, most stewards are complete arseholes and twats. They don't possess even the slightest amount of common sense and in many cases are the cause of problems inside the grounds. God knows where they source them from, there must be some sort of pool or agency of failed doorstaff somewhere. I took great delight last season in threatening to eject a steward from Withdean for being heavy handed and over zealous to a group of Plymouth fans causing no particular problems other than shouting some mild abuse at the Ref!

I know at least two albion stewards who read this board and are thoroughly nice blokes. they also go to away games and support the team 100%.

But hey, why look for facts when you can make an ignorant statement like that?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Beeercan said:
Well I was pretty colse to the 'action' i thought the police were over zelous.

But after what Martin Perry put on the website about standing at away games, i think that some of the fans should have atleast sat down.

But yes the Hull fans were doing the same.

But Poodle said it was ok to stand for "Stand up, if you want Falmer", which was being sung when I saw a fuss at the back! ???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
XooX said:

Here's the situation though. When we played QPR at Loftus Road in the Leyland Daf (or whatever they call it now) a couple of seasons ago there was chaos as QPR had badly underestimated the number of travelling BHA fans. The stewards were pathetic and I know that Rougvie got slung out for nothing and accused of being a racist (if I'm wrong about that I apologise).

It turns out though that many of the stewards were there as they had been told that their benefit would be stopped if they didn't get out and get some money as stewards. They may be crap but considering they probably had no training, lousy money and the fact that they just didn't want to be there is a significant factor. The Police after all do get paid and get a nice pension to boot, I doubt that any have been effectively press ganged to do the job.

Collar Feeler

Jul 26, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
I know at least two albion stewards who read this board and are thoroughly nice blokes. they also go to away games and support the team 100%.

But hey, why look for facts when you can make an ignorant statement like that?

Fair comment Dave, I'll rephrase that to some stewards rather than most! And it was meant to refer generally to Stewards rather than just Albion stewards. My opinion is based on personal experience at games home and away both on duty and off duty.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Yorkie said:
No problem. I know one of them was drunk but I would be prepared to write a letter of support if needed.

Sorry but rules were broken, why should they go un-punished?

It seems most people on here make up their own rules on who is right and who is wrong.

This man was drunk and in clear breach of ground regulations, why should the club support him ?

And why are you supporting him?

If it was some young lad in designer clothing, you lot on here would be calling for him to banned and locked up for bringing the clubs good name into question.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Yorkie said:
I would like to know how the police choose which games they send extra riot police to.

A couple of seasons ago we played Sheff Wed (who never cause any problems) on Easter Monday at Withdean.
The whole place was crawling with police, vans, cctv etc all the way along London Rd.

I wonder whether it was anything to do with double pay on Bank Holidays?

We have had problems at home with Wednesday, their last relegation season for example. There was trouble outside the Evening Star afterwards. We were unfortunate enough to get a train from P. Park back to Brighton with about twenty of their less than intelligent following and it was not nice. Plenty of mobile phone conversations organising all sorts. We followed them out at a distance and a group of locals met them at the end of the road just down from the Evening Star (which is where we were heading for a pint). Police swarmed in a minute or so later and stopped the fighting.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
QPR and Brentford :angry:

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
XooX said:
Firstly, yes we (Police) do get double pay on Bank Holidays but your inference that we all clamour to jump on the Bank Holiday double time bandwagon is not true I'm afraid. The Police authority and senior officers resent paying double time for obvious reasons and it isn't unusual to actually be told that you wont be working as they don't want to pay the double time. In fact where I work, recently on some of the busiest Bank Holidays we have been deliberately taken down to minimum strength to avoid paying double time.

Although you seem like a decent bloke, can I say that the vast majority of your colleagues are f***ing TWATS.

100 cops for a shitty Withdean game, no cops in a council estate in a big city when you're getting beaten up by a group of 20 drunken lads.

Collar Feeler

Jul 26, 2003
jonogulls said:
Although you seem like a decent bloke, can I say that the vast majority of your colleagues are f***ing TWATS.

100 cops for a shitty Withdean game, no cops in a council estate in a big city when you're getting beaten up by a group of 20 drunken lads.

I agree with you, not the 'f***ing twats' comment obviously, I think you are guilty there of the same level of generalisation I was when I called all stewards the same thing. I've since realised that some stewards fit that category rather than all of them.

The second bit I agree with though, unfortunately when there are only a handful of you on duty and all of you are already committed on other just as important incidents we can't be in two places at once. the stark reality is that there are quite often not enough police on duty.

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
XooX said:
I agree with you, not the 'f***ing twats' comment obviously, I think you are guilty there of the same level of generalisation I was when I called all stewards the same thing. I've since realised that some stewards fit that category rather than all of them.

The second bit I agree with though, unfortunately when there are only a handful of you on duty and all of you are already committed on other just as important incidents we can't be in two places at once. the stark reality is that there are quite often not enough police on duty.

The stark reality is that me, a totally law abiding football fan who has never even stole a packet of sweets from a shop in his lifetime (!), gets filmed by your hormone-filled, buffed-up, beer-swilling colleagues with their pathetic little You've Been Framed cameras simply for the heinous crime of standing up for a game. You stand there, at games with no history or possibility of trouble, and openly film fans when all they are trying to do is watch the game. Does this stop trouble? Does it bollocks - it creates it.

Yet, when someone gets beaten up by a group of drunken teenage lads hanging outside a shop on a Friday night, it takes you 20 minutes to get there, you never catch them and, even then, you look totally and utterly uninterested. Football games are easy to police because your lot can just lock people up as they want - we're all in a confined space and it's like taking candy off a baby (even if we've done nothing wrong). Yet when it comes to catching criminals these amazing resources you deploy on a Saturday go missing. Probably because everyone is sitting at home on their arses because it's not double pay and they don't get to watch the game for free a la Satdee'.

And don't even get me started on the shooting of Brazilians.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The Wookiee said:

It seems most people on here make up their own rules on who is right and who is wrong.

This man was drunk and in clear breach of ground regulations, why should the club support him ?

If it was some young lad in designer clothing, you lot on here would be calling for him to banned and locked up for bringing the clubs good name into question.

That was exactly my point. Far from spending my Monday afternoon bitching and trying to get people I don't know in trouble, I was just trying to make people see some the other side.

Everyone's come on here whinging about bad stewarding, but it seemed to me that everyone I saw being sent out broke the rules immensely, were given chances, and therefore got chucked out.

Last edited:

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
Oh, and as an after thought. People wonder why the generation of today have no respect for the police. It really is no wonder when the police themselves have no respect and are, by and large, a group of utterly inept, attention-seeking, trouble causing morons of the worst kind.

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
The Wookiee said:

Because some of us enjoy the whole 'match day experience' that is football.

If you want to bang on about match day regulations, sitting down etc then it merely proves that you lack the same kind of passion as many others on this board do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here