Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will MM outers react if he keeps his job?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Icy Gull said:
That is exactly my fear, we could have fans hurling abuse and even fighting with each other. Sad that it could come to that but it is something the board should consider in making their decision.

Another sensible post- no one likes to see fans turn on each other, but it did nearly get silly against Stoke.

What i would like to SERIOUSLY know is whether those that err on the McGhee IN side of the fence recognise any of the weaknesses that the OUTIES have highlighted, or whether they simply put the failings down to Withdean/money/attractiveness of the club to players?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
fourthteamtillidie said:
Also B.MF that is my other consideration- As Albion fans we are all well aware of the financial situation surrounding the club, and i have been happy to have a season ticket for each season at Withdean, paying over the odds to help us achieve our ultimate goal of Falmer.

However a season such as this with all the goings on, as a fan i feel that enough may be enough and can i justify spending money i don't have? (have also been made redundant very recently, so i had to evaluate it from that point of view too.)

I have no problem with people who can not viably afford to go so take back my bye then post earlier as was not aware of the reasons mentioned above. I just want to see the club survive by any means necessary and believe that we, the supporters have a very big part in saving the club by attending home games whenever we can.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
fourthteamtillidie said:
The less of a supporter was aimed more in general at the less mentally well endowed members of this board than yourself.

I agree its a risk i take that by punishing the very thing i love i may find myself without said thing.

However this club faces more challenges to its life from external forces than if a small percentage vote with their feet over the manager.

I haven't taken this decision lightly.

I'm sure you haven't, and i can understand why you feel you have to do something drastic.... but when you look at the club as a whole it isn't going to help. Especially if under MM we start well..... will you continue to not come ? I think at the end of the day we have to trust DK, look how far we have come under him and sure the last 4 months under MM have been dire but he does have a proven record of getting teams out of this division and thats why DK wants to keep him

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
B.M.F said:
I think you have pointed out 1 thing in this post and that is who would we be able to get and how long will it take. I am sure that there will not be that many interested in our club with no finances etc and we could end up with another hinsh situation whereas we can not get a new manager in of any worth and thus struggle right from the off. It is fair enough that people want MM out ( of which I am not one ) but we have to look at the fact that we would struggle to get someone else in as
1) we would have to pay MM off
2) we would have to play to get a manager from another club and
3) this will destroy any transfer budget we have.

I think this is an attractive proposition for managers, we have a large fan base and are in League 1 and expected to do well. I'm sure we would get plenty of applications for the post, after all we've been able to lure Adms, Coppell, Taylor etc. to the club. My main point is that how can MM possibly keep his job and do it well with full support, when it has been made public knowledge that some of the board don't want him in charge.

We will of course need to pay MM off if we dispose of him, that is what this investor has allowed us to do. The decision however must be made purely on footballing terms and if you look at MM's record, it just isn't good enough, coupled with the lack of fight and passion we saw at the end of the season, it is hard to justify his position at this time.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
fourthteamtillidie said:
What i would like to SERIOUSLY know is whether those that err on the McGhee IN side of the fence recognise any of the weaknesses that the OUTIES have highlighted, or whether they simply put the failings down to Withdean/money/attractiveness of the club to players?

See this thread. I suport McGhee but he has made mistakes.

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
Horton's halftime iceberg said:
If you went to Stoke you would have seen that we were the better side in the first half.

Barman ! A pint of whatever he is on please!

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What i would like to SERIOUSLY know is whether those that err on the McGhee IN side of the fence recognise any of the weaknesses that the OUTIES have highlighted, or whether they simply put the failings down to Withdean/money/attractiveness of the club to players? [/B][/QUOTE]

McGhee has faults like any other manager, signed good french players and dodgy looking South American.

He always takes things on the chin and is wlling to play the youth if they are good enough.

Both chairman and current players seem happy with him. What have Leon or McCammon said about him states hes not up to the job.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
B.M.F said:
I am sick and tired of all this I wont go to another game childish bollocks:O :O :O The only reason this club is still here is because we have people turning up week in week out whether they are happy with what is going on or not. FFS are people really petty enough to see the club fold because they do not like a manger / player / lack of forks because believe me, if enough of you stay away then that is exactly what is going to happen and it will be YOU to blame for the death of our club:angry: :angry:

Yet for the first time in a while, Stoke being a clear example - people appear to have had enough - Your right in the past we had a following who would turn out week in week out; because they enjoyed watching the albion - even when it was not glamourous football being played, becuase there was fight and passion. I will continue to attend away games like I always have done, but i admit I feel my soul has been ripped out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
fourthteamtillidie said:
Another sensible post- no one likes to see fans turn on each other, but it did nearly get silly against Stoke.

I accept that the football after Christmas was pretty dire, although for various reasons I didn't go to that many games. I understand why people are unhappy with MM but I don't think anyone could have done better with the resources we have. Unlike many I think that this team with a couple of additions and some of the older players being re-signed is good enough to play attractive and for the most part succesfull football in League 1. If we are struggling and playing shit by Christmas I would accept that MM should go.

I really believe that the expectations of many on here are unrealistic and fuelled by success over the last few years that is nothing short of phenomenal given our circumstances. One bad season and we seem to want to chuck it all out of the window. There are enough good players coming through, they just need time and I think MM is as good a manager as we will attract.

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
fourthteamtillidie said:

I am fully aware of his weaknesses but don't think we could get anyone else in with as much experience of getting us promoted. If he goes then it will not be a great loss as long as we can get someone else in so we do not go down the hinsh route again. I will support whomever in charge / playing as I support the club and think it has more negative than positve reactions by getting on peoples backs when they are trying their best to keep us going.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
fourthteamtillidie said:
So that's one dealt with is it? Great attitude- those of you on here hell bent on supporting MM until you go blue may find yourself in my position of loathing a manager as much as i do in the future.

Don't come running to us when it's all gone tits up and there are no mitigating circumstances to blame it on.

(Personally i think although our circumstances warrant a little looking at when it comes to what a manager can achieve- in no way can a lack of motivation, man management, decision making and tactical awareness be blamed on them- these lie squarely at the manager's door.)
Actually sunshine, I am indifferent towards the current manager's prospects at present. If he stays, I will support him. If he goes, I will support the new one. The more important issue is about the club as a whole, not specifically about individuals within a club.

My point was about Goring Gull's comprehensive dismissal of all things Albion if McGhee stays. To my mind, that kind of support the club can do well without.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Black Country Seagull said:
Yet for the first time in a while, Stoke being a clear example - people appear to have had enough - Your right in the past we had a following who would turn out week in week out; because they enjoyed watching the albion - even when it was not glamourous football being played, becuase there was fight and passion. I will continue to attend away games like I always have done, but i admit I feel my soul has been ripped out.

Fair enough but imagine how you would feel if the club folded?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rusco said:
Barmn ! A pint of whatever he is on please!

I think he may be talking about the AWAY game against Stoke

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
fourthteamtillidie said:
The less of a supporter was aimed more in general at the less mentally well endowed members of this board than yourself.

I agree its a risk i take that by punishing the very thing i love i may find myself without said thing.

However this club faces more challenges to its life from external forces than if a small percentage vote with their feet over the manager.

I haven't taken this decision lightly.

Every Albion fan is entitled to they're oppinion and to choose they're own coarse of action.

Personaly I have no problem with fans who decide to vote with they're feet. Although financily damaging to the club, It also demonstrates how passionate fans feel about these things.

Maybe if we had a manager who'd shown some kind of passion during the season we would'nt be debating this.

There seems to be more chance of losing supporters next season by keeping McGhee than there will be by sacking him. A new manager has allways increased interest at the Albion.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Trigger said:
Some people just aren't prepared to pay £23 or whatever it is now to watch the shit McGhee serves up.

But they're prepared to do it at away games, for up to two or three times the cost, if you include travel, beers etc etc.

Perhaps you'd prefer to go and watch a different club, I hear Man Utd play very good football you know........., and their tickets are cheaper than ours.

Cheap flight from Gatwick to Manchester .........

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
I was more depressed about this season than I was when we were 2nd bottom at Gillingham and only saved by the fact that Doncaster didn't have a proper team.

Have still renewed for next year - as I know the club needs the cash, but I really don't feel bad about missing games now if something else is going on - and I've not felt like that for years.

Don't necessarily think we will automatically do well next year either - look at Forest (first half of season) and Rotherham.

Personally I'd like to see McGhee stay and start blooding the 100 or so youth team players that now have pro contracts so we can start going forward again. Assuming he hasn't fallen out with Wendy, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here