Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how SAFE do you feel on the STREETS?

Oct 25, 2003
how SAFE do you feel in the area you live in? can you quite happily leave your house at night without feeling in DANGER? are there gangs of LOITERING YOUTHS in the area causing PROBLEMS?

how SAFE do you feel?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Ever been to Croydon? It's a real eye opener.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sometimes I feel unsafe - where I live (in Wolverhampton) I have a dealer that pulls up, delivers and then leaves with his money 2/3 times a week just under my bedroom window. I also have two hookers across then road 4/5 nights a week... the worrying thought is that I live in the NICE PART of Wolverhampton.

However, this in itself does not make me feel unsafe - it is the high level of muggings/petty-crime that makes me worry. I have several friends that have been mugged - all of them have got black eyes/cuts to the face as a minimum (even though some of the bigger ones have managed to escape).

I feel perfectly safe during the day, but always have to keep an eye out for what is happening around me if I leave the house alone at night (normally when returning from rugby training).

Perhaps this is why I am looking to move back to sunny Sussex.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Depends where in Sussex I am at the time. Feel totally safe around my new house's area (West Worthing/Tarring). Not so much if I'm in Littlehampton past dark.

Also I've heard a lot of bad things about Moulscoombe but since my girlfriend moved there I've been there a number of times at night and never even seen any chavs or anything.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It‘s so safe where I live that my son left the back door of my car open when we got home yesterday and it was untouched this morning.

That might reflect more on my car than the area, though!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
how SAFE do you feel in the area you live in? can you quite happily leave your house at night without feeling in DANGER? are there gangs of LOITERING YOUTHS in the area causing PROBLEMS?

how SAFE do you feel?

despite the THREAT of random CAPITAL letters stalking POSTINGS, most of THE time i feel safe, as i don't go near the dodgy PARTS of town like niddrie, and in general edinburgh still HAS THAT small city feel. though if you WANT to feel like you're IN a rebus-like underworld you can walk the back alleys and stripclubs of tollcross, or drive out of leith along salamander street past the skaggy whores of a weekend night.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Ever been to Croydon? It's a real eye opener.

I work in Croydon and in the 2 years I've worked here I've managed to shun all invites to after work drinks as the thought of walking back to E Croydon station from where I work in W Croydon at night quite frankly TERRIFIES me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Oct 25, 2003
Not that I mind, but are you asking us to do your HOMEWORK?

of course!

well, not really, i was doing basically what i'm doing now in newcastle yesterday, i'm not actually going to use any of the responses here (as "hans kraay fan club" doesn't look great in a bibliography!) i'm just interested in the responses and how they differ to newcastle :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
of course!

well, not really, i was doing basically what i'm doing now in newcastle yesterday, i'm not actually going to use any of the responses here (as "hans kraay fan club" doesn't look great in a bibliography!) i'm just interested in the responses and how they differ to newcastle :)

Okay!

Here in the 'burbs in Chandler Ford, I'd feel 100% safe.

In parts of Southampton, very much less so.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
In the, recent, village newsletter the two instances of anti-social behaviour mentioned were;

(1) The dumping of grass cuttings in fields where horses are kept.

(2) The failure to remove dog droppings by one particular resident ("we know who you are")

So as I am not a horse and look where I'm treading, all in all I feel pretty safe!

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I think Eastbourne is fairly safe. I quite often walk home late at night after a night out from the town centre to the other side of town, without seeing any major problems. The main tyrouble makers are the chavvy pikeys that inhabit vast areas of Langney and roselands. But they just seem interested in revving crappy Novas around the mcdonalds car park of a night than opposed to kicking peoples heads in.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
In Wetherby, yes by and large. I have heard of instances where people have been punched after closing time etc, but its generally a safe town. As for Leeds City, again, I usually feel safe.

I do feel less safe in Brighton though.

I suppose it all down to being sensible. Although being 42 means that I'm generally not out past 8ish. If I were in my late teens or 20's again I'm not sure how I might feel.

Its more of an interesting question as to whether youngsters these days feel less safe. When I was a lad, the most that would happen would be a punch in the mouth after being wrongly accused of looking at some bird. I suppose now the fear is of being knifed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here