Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how SAFE do you feel on the STREETS?

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
When at home I live in a little village out in the sticks, where everyone knows everyone, so feel fine there.
When i'm up at Uni in birmingham, My halls are in Selly Oak, And in the month and a bit i've been here I havent really felt that scared when out at night, but then it's by no means the roughest area of town.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
So, where is the place you have visited, either home or further afield that you have felt the safest?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think I have ever felt unsafe and I have stayed/lived in a large variety of different areas. It is not that I feel I could fight off any attacker or that it won't happen, merely a sub-concious feeling that I shouldn't NEED to feel afraid. Maybe I am a bit carefree at heart.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I feel safer walking around New York when I visit there on holiday than I do pretty much anywhere that I've been in this country.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Completely safe.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I feel safer walking around New York when I visit there on holiday than I do pretty much anywhere that I've been in this country.

You obviously never went to Harlem then!.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Very. I know every scummer in my suburb as it is; probably now the town better than they do also. Know Dublin like the back of my hand - and wheres safe, safe-ish and not.

I'm also Rather Tall. Most Irish scumbags are emaciated, foetal alcohol syndrome suffering and about 5'2". It has a looming and somewhat scary affect on them.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm also Rather Tall. Most Irish scumbags are emaciated, foetal alcohol syndrome suffering and about 5'2". It has a looming and somewhat scary affect on them.

You're a scary human being, no doubt.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
of course!

well, not really, i was doing basically what i'm doing now in newcastle yesterday, i'm not actually going to use any of the responses here (as "hans kraay fan club" doesn't look great in a bibliography!) i'm just interested in the responses and how they differ to newcastle :)

which part of newcastle you living in? Jesmond?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Very safe. We live in a teeny village and unless you live here you would have no reason to be here or be passing through. Our nearest town is populated by OAPs and I feel equally safe there too.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My grandmother says she feels unsafe around the town centre in Worthing after midnight on a saturday night and that is why she carries a knife and a baseball bat.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I did A Level Sociology a few years ago and one theory we explored was along the lines of a scared population is a docile, manageable population, if that makes sense

Perhaps it's no coincidence that the current spate of knife crime stories in the media comes alongside the blanket coverage of the 'credit crunch' we are experiencing

Makes you think

:bla:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I did A Level Sociology a few years ago and one theory we explored was along the lines of a scared population is a docile, manageable population, if that makes sense

id offer the suggestion that your teaching has mixed up cause and effect. in our modern, relativly safe and carefree world where we dont have to worry about disease or where food will be coming from, society has become obsessed with perceived risks.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Depends where in Sussex I am at the time. Feel totally safe around my new house's area (West Worthing/Tarring). Not so much if I'm in Littlehampton past dark.

Also I've heard a lot of bad things about Moulscoombe but since my girlfriend moved there I've been there a number of times at night and never even seen any chavs or anything.

Can tell you haven't been in Worthing long. Anyway, what about nutcases on trains?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here