Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how SAFE do you feel on the STREETS?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Feel perfectly safe where i am, rarely lock my car, and have many a time left the car window open (in summer) all night , not deliberately, though just did not close it when i got home,
Also if i only leaving the house for a short while don't bother to lock it, (it not a latch type locks when pulled closed.)
Often heard this sort of conversation about where it safe to walk, or to go etc,
but Ive never been conscious of it, perhaps i should be more aware of my surrounding has i not ever walked or been anywhere where i have felt apprehensive about the location. any yes i have been to Croydon after nightfall:(

Albion Rob

I feel fairly safe treading the streets of Eastbourne town centre. Less so in Hampden Park where my parents live but still fine.

Then again I'm 27-years-old, 6' 3" tall and 17 stone so I don't really suppose there is any reason for me to feel unsafe.

That said, some scumbag attakced my dad outside Hampden Park station the other month (facial stitches and had to have half his ear sewn back on). He's 61 and I think he feels considerably less safe than I do.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I work in Croydon and in the 2 years I've worked here I've managed to shun all invites to after work drinks as the thought of walking back to E Croydon station from where I work in W Croydon at night quite frankly TERRIFIES me.

I find this amazing, what terrifies you ? is it fear of attack ? or what ?

Oct 25, 2003
On the whole, yes I do feel safe. Apart from occasionally running the gauntlet of feral youths loitering outside the corner shop.

with the feral youths, do they actually DO anything other than loitering? or is it just their image that 'scares' people?

what i've found is that, in particular, elderly people, find the image of a group of young people far more threatening than the actual reality

not all gangs of young people are out to cause trouble (there are obvious exceptions of course)

I live in Dalston, Hackney, East London, E8.

Whilst we generally feel more comfortable and safe now, Hackney has recorded record crime falls over the last three years.

The fact that for many petty crime is a way of life here, the Police in London are so over loaded that unless violence has been involved, the crime will only tokenistically be looked at.

I am aware that whilst I am willing to troll the streets of lOndon, you can never entirely switch off and for the people that do, they will be victims.

We have had to take precautions on our house to minimise attempted burgaries, such as bars on the basement windows, window planters all over the first floor windows, lock all doors and windows on the lower levels.

Lights on when not in, lock up bikes, even though they are in the back garden.

A few weeks ago, we were on holidays in Innsbruck, bikes were left in the streets unlocked, knives openly sold in shops and as presents to young kids, our apartment doors didn't even have locks - what a difference - Ms LC took ages to unjust to the fact that we were totally safe.

Obviously we have the pro's, the drugs, the youths with attittude, we have the shootings and stabbings. Normally that is a side of society operating in a different plane, but then you do get the odd instance when a "youth" will try it on?

With 3 young kids growing up, we are certainly reviewing our and their future.
We can never feel safe! A sad statement of our society.

As one of my mates (who did the gangs when growing up in LOndon) said, why do you want your kids to be street wise, why can't they grow up as kids?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Feel pretty ok on the streets of Lewes. I know many of you hate the town (including me sometimes) but it is a fairly safe place to live. I even feel safe walking past some of the local chav hotspots such as the kebab shop after chucking out time

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am aware that whilst I am willing to troll the streets of London, you can never entirely switch off and for the people that do, they will be victims.

i think thats the strange contradiction in London, everyone is wary of everyone so your fairly safe. the couple of kids on the corner look at you a bit warily as you wander past, they're unsure who you are or what you might do. I found the streets of Bermondsey/Elephant&Castle tense but still felt safe, just put on a scawl and look purposeful and you're left alone. wouldnt want kids to grow up there mind.

by contrast i hate Lewes as you are liable to have someone just jump you and give you a kicking as a drunken dare.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I find this amazing, what terrifies you ? is it fear of attack ? or what ?

OK - maybe 'Terrified' is a little far fetched. You only have to see the part of Croydon (west) I work in during the day, to imagine it at after dark.

It's a very run down area, I've had brushes with addicts, drunks and gangs of yoofs and that's just popping out for a sandwich in the middle of the day. Don't take this the wrong way but If you're white and wearing a suit it's not a comfortable area to walk around if you catch my drift.

The people I work with who are locals all move their cars closer to the office before it gets dark as they are scared to walk through the housing after dark! As I said terrified is probably a bit ott, just cautious and well aware the area has its problems.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It‘s so safe where I live that my son left the back door of my car open when we got home yesterday and it was untouched this morning.

That might reflect more on my car than the area, though!

Dammit you ruined my "I used to have a car like that" punchline!

I've just moved to London, but I live in Halls which are very central and I feel pretty safe walking to and from the places I go, even at night.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
its awfull here!! the other day i heard a dog bark twice!! i called the police and within minutes there were 2 wagons and a swat team, Woodruff road hooligan element i expect again,bloody pikies the lot of them:thumbsup:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I live in Kenilworth and have been shit shared walking home from the pub as I could hear rustling in the bushes and was convinced someone was going to jump out and rob me of my empty wallet. When this happened on more than one occasion, I plucked up the courage to find out who or what had it in for me. On closer inspection, I found a field of cows were hidden by a hedge which did not have any interest in me or my bank card but every interest in thier feed of grass. That is the closest I have come to violence here.

Walking through Croydon with my laptop in a bag is another story entirely.

1066gull

i do feel a little bit uneasy at night by myself, and always avoid the underpass subways and a street that i no is full of dirty scum but i reassure myself as i actually do believe i look more intimidating walking alone on my own in the dark then others do to me

physcially i can put up a fight, its just weather i am capable of actually doing it

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Very safe. Not even seen a proper fight in the time I've been here.

Of course there's the odd case of family dismembering and geek rampages but basically nothing to worry abvout at all. Apart from umbrella theft.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Safe although I'm very aware when walking alone, even hammered I like to regularly check behind me as random 2am attacks are pretty common these days

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Very safe where I live, less so where I used to be, fairly safe in town.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I feel safe walking in at night on my own in Southwick, and to be honest there arent many places in Brighton that I dont feel safe on my own.

When I visit Wolverhampton I feel a little less safe walking in the dark on my own, but it seems a lot safer as Ive got older and got to know the place better.

I think it all comes down to how well you know the area you live in, I know the streets which are meant to be a bit rougher so I tend to avoid them if I can.

Also, I think it comes down to factors like age, your phisical shape and your mentallity. If your an OAP who cant walk very well then you will feel alot more unsafe than someone who is 6ft and built like a brick shithouse or someone who likes a fight now and then

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I feel reasonably safe in Sussex but you never see policeman walking the streets during the day now so walking about during the evening is definitely out of the question. You do occassionally see those 'plastic police' CPSO if you are in Worthing but not proper policemen and none of either in Haywards Heath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here