Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much State benefit do you pocket every month?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't deny that Andy but I have also paid thousands in taxes but don't feel I am entitled to claim benefits just because of this. Yes ALL benefits should be means tested and I wouldn't be surprised if Dave did just that. Might eat into to the £159 Billion a fraction. Disingenuous has got an I in it. Bloody Oathall:laugh:

As you know, I too left work in 2007 of my own volition. Didn't claim anything for nearly 18 months and the only thing we get now on top of child benefit is about £10 child tax credit which will now stop as I am earning again albeit in a different career (not that that makes any difference).

Can't blame Oathall by the way. Educated at St Paul's actually.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As you know, I too left work in 2007 of my own volition. Didn't claim anything for nearly 18 months and the only thing we get now on top of child benefit is about £10 child tax credit which will now stop as I am earning again albeit in a different career (not that that makes any difference).

Can't blame Oathall by the way. Educated at St Paul's actually.

So was I, crap school in my day, total wanker for headmaster.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Sorry I am not sounding off but I really don't get that. Obviously if you pay taxes you work so why should you receive a benefit which should be exclusively for those affected by real poverty. I have not had not regular work for almost two years yes I took a career break for a year but can I claim even though I have 21 years of class 1 contributions, can I fcuk! Why? Because we do have savings so we are entitled to nothing. Just because you have paid in doesn't necessarily mean you should take out, that is the domain of those who really really need. I hope call me Dave overhauls the benefit system and fast.

You said you claim child benefit though? Are you affected by poverty? Or are you a hypocrite?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Out of interest, when were you there? 74 to 81 for me.

66-71, Grindley was the head in my day, a totally deluded idiot. Virtually all the decent teachers were non catholic.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
66-71, Grindley was the head in my day, a totally deluded idiot. Virtually all the decent teachers were non catholic.

Same head when I was there. Used to float down the corridor towards the stage clutching his prayer books close to his chest. Think he passed away last year. Strange to think that in just over 45 years, the school has had only three headmasters, the third only having been appointed this year!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Same head when I was there. Used to float down the corridor towards the stage clutching his prayer books close to his chest. Think he passed away last year. Strange to think that in just over 45 years, the school has had only three headmasters, the third only having been appointed this year!!

What's odd to me is that it's now relocated to miles from a station. I wonder just how the pupils from Uckfield get there. It's a couple of miles from Wivelsfield Station too. I gather it improved after Grindley left, my nephews went to St Paul's in Haywards Heath and they've done okay. We didn't play football in my day we played rugby mainly because Grindley thought it would make St Pauls more like a public school ! He was held in open contempt by quite a few teachers as well.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's odd to me is that it's now relocated to miles from a station. I wonder just how the pupils from Uckfield get there. It's a couple of miles from Wivelsfield Station too. I gather it improved after Grindley left, my nephews went to St Paul's in Haywards Heath and they've done okay. We didn't play football in my day we played rugby mainly because Grindley thought it would make St Pauls more like a public school ! He was held in open contempt by quite a few teachers as well.

It's now just round the corner from me. It went from an enclosed 9 acre to site to one of about 30 acres. Thought the kids from Uckfield were bused in anyway. It's the kids from Lewes and Seaford that can't use the train. Not sure I would want to bus to school from Seaford!!!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's now just round the corner from me. It went from an enclosed 9 acre to site to one of about 30 acres. Thought the kids from Uckfield were bused in anyway. It's the kids from Lewes and Seaford that can't use the train. Not sure I would want to bus to school from Seaford!!!!

In my day the kids from Seafod and Newhaven got the train to Haywards Heath. They should be able to get off at Wivelsfield now. The kids from Chaily, Newick and Uckfield caught a normal bus to Haywards Heath. The Lewes pupils were the ones who had their own coaches. I wonder what they do now.

I am not in education - why should I susidise all of those families with kids
I am not sick - why should I pay for all the sick, infirm and greedy
I do not drive - why should I subsidise all of this tarmac
I I am not old - why should my taxes support some pensioner - get back to work
I am not disabled - why should I pay for diability allowances
I am not in the army - why should I have to pay for dumb fucker to jaunt of sunny places, ffsthe Greeks and Romans used to pay for their army uniforms and weapns and they were the best ever soldiers.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I get nothing, my permit tells me I'm not entitled to any state money anyhow. But I wouldn't take it if I could.

I've never lived anywhere else where there is so much money is given out "to those less fortunate" and Ive also never lived anywhere where there are so many underage Mums, smokers on council benefits with sky dishes, lazy people who can't be arsed to get off benefits when they can and should be working, and broken families who are better off financially broken..

f*** me this country is in a right state because of the benefits system...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I get nothing, my permit tells me I'm not entitled to any state money anyhow. But I wouldn't take it if I could.

I've never lived anywhere else where there is so much money is given out "to those less fortunate" and Ive also never lived anywhere where there are so many underage Mums, smokers on council benefits with sky dishes, lazy people who can't be arsed to get off benefits when they can and should be working, and broken families who are better off financially broken..

f*** me this country is in a right state because of the benefits system...

Yes we should all go on strike like the Australian dockers in World War Two. Joking aside There are people who are better off on benefits, for example, if you have a job paying more that £20 a week you lose benefits. Most low wage jobs do not pay enough to pay for rent let alone food or fuel. Yes I agree that all people on benefits should be means tested. As far as unmarried mothers are concerned, what can you do ? Force them to have abortions ? It's not the fault of the Welfare State but what's the point in struggling to do a badly paid job when you are financially disadvantaged ? People declared war on the Poll tax but in fact a lot more homes wouldn't have satellite dishes if people paid a fair share in that manner.

All very easy but not as cut and dried as some people think. Also tedebear, if this country is such a mess how come some many of your countrymen flock here ? I would be more than happy if they went home as there would be a lot more jobs for people like me.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
In my day the kids from Seafod and Newhaven got the train to Haywards Heath. They should be able to get off at Wivelsfield now. The kids from Chaily, Newick and Uckfield caught a normal bus to Haywards Heath. The Lewes pupils were the ones who had their own coaches. I wonder what they do now.

They all get catch a bus (lewes, uckfield, seaford etc). There's a bus from Haywards Heath as well which was free for a few years (to kids already at the school when it moved).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
They all get catch a bus (lewes, uckfield, seaford etc). There's a bus from Haywards Heath as well which was free for a few years (to kids already at the school when it moved).

I dread to think what that costs each year. yet another good reason to not have any religion in schools. Surprisingly America is one country that does not allow religion is schools, something they have got right. Kids going to St Pauls end up travelling for 3-4 hours a day which is just too much. I don't know what it's like now but most of the decent teachers were non Catholic, a lot of the Catholic ones must have got the job for the sole reason they were Catholics, a lot couldn't have got it on ability.

Frankly if we have State Catholic Schools why can't we have State Schools for Muslims and Hindus only ? Then you get those poor unfortunates who are bought up as Jehovahs Witnesses who are excluded from a lot of school activities at the behest of their parents.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Me?
Well, I receive £20.30 Child Benefit every week, equating to £81.20 / month.

Fair enough. And you're a good guy Bry, you doubtless spend it on the right stuff.

But a large chunk of the country don't really need it, and a larger chunk of the country spend it on booze and fags.

Reckon Child Benefit should take the form of food vouchers (not redeemable for cigarettes and alcohol) to ensure that it at least has a sporting chance of reaching the kids its intended for.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fair enough. And you're a good guy Bry, you doubtless spend it on the right stuff.

But a large chunk of the country don't really need it, and a larger chunk of the country spend it on booze and fags.

Reckon Child Benefit should take the form of food vouchers (not redeemable for cigarettes and alcohol) to ensure that it at least has a sporting chance of reaching the kids its intended for.

They use food stamps in the US however what happens then is that food stamps get sold for less than their redeemable worth for cash. Additionally many people dislike them as they get stigmatised as charity cases as they don't have cash.

I must admit if I see a beggar asking for change while smoking a cigarette I never give them anything. I was also waiting to sign on last week and there was a woman (with child) chain smoking whilst moaning into her mobile that she was having trouble paying for her Sky ......... Yes there are two sides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here