Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much State benefit do you pocket every month?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I am not in education - why should I susidise all of those families with kids
I am not sick - why should I pay for all the sick, infirm and greedy
I do not drive - why should I subsidise all of this tarmac
I I am not old - why should my taxes support some pensioner - get back to work
I am not disabled - why should I pay for diability allowances
I am not in the army - why should I have to pay for dumb fucker to jaunt of sunny places, ffsthe Greeks and Romans used to pay for their army uniforms and weapns and they were the best ever soldiers.

you piece of lowlife scum, you may well end up disabled with an attitude like that, and on balance it will be thoroughly deserved.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
firstly do not generalise about those of us in a position where benefits are our only income. ...
"happy" to take "handouts", i think not - i hope you are never in a simiar situation. in short wind your f***ing neck in until you actually have a clue what you are talking about :censored:

dont get so tetchy, if you're not happy to be taking the benfits but do so out of real necessity, then im not talking about you am i. some see state benfits as a tidy top up to their already substantial earnings, sucking money out of the system so those with genuine needs get a pitance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not suprised this thread is just starting to get a bit tetchy now, but to be fair, is it really something you should be talking about? I don't claim anything, and wouldn't be entitled to either. I'm in full time employment, but it hasn't always been the case. I was on JSA for several months last year when times were tough, I was lucky enough to find a job, alot of people aren't so lucky.

All the nonsense about "I shouldn't have to pay for other people's kids" and "I'm not disabled, why I should be paying for disability benefit" is either people fishing, or being seriously short sighted.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
no it really is very real. Get an early morning bus into the City and you'll find it full of non-Brits (all sorts, southern europeans, east europeans, africans, asians) all going in to do the menial jobs such as cleaning and working in sandwich shops. go home early afternoon and the streets are full of young men (and women, probably with baby, different issue) who i know from the pub cry about the fact there's no jobs for them. this was the way of Bermonsey for the years i was working shifts. I see similar story in Sutton, european immigrants working the checkouts and shops while locally brought up youth kick their heals. in the counrtyside its well documented that east European workers will do more work for the same pay (pretty decent money at that) and more importantly just get on with it.

interesting point about the dust though, i think thats dominated by those who have grown up with a decent work ethic and clocked the fact its good money. however other areas like road maintainence i note often have east europeans, or older Brits, rarely young local lads. i get the feeling many of the youth today wont take the entry level jobs, expecting 25k at 18 or they wont bother. 10 years later they are unemployable.

IT industry is also odd, i've noticed alot of colonial immigrants working in the industry too. in fact probably half my current department is SA/AU/NZ, then a quater asian. im not really sure why or how, it not like the old "work for pitance" arguement for manual work washes as the money offered is market rate. we've recently recruited for a junior IT post and i dont think we had a single CV from anyone multi-genration British. odd.

I that that quite a lot as I tend to work in Central London and get on any train and you'll hear a variety of dialects. One reason why so many non British workers do the so called menial tasks is because many of the firms that control cleaning companies are run (and often owned) by non British people and they prefer to employ their own people which is more to do with xenophobia than the British not wanting to work. I have a couple of Columbian friends who are in fact Political Refugees. A lot of their friends are from Spanish speaking South American companies and despite the fact they have been here for well over ten years they don't speak a word of English. Mind you not one of them works for a British owned firm. I personally have been trying for some time to work in the Middle East but just about all of the IT recruitment companies are owned by people from the Indian Sub Continent and believe me they can teach the BNP a thing or two about racism. Engineering and construction companies tend to be European or American so they don't care but Asian firms will never employ a White person. There was a program on TV about a year ago when an American who lost his job when it was outsourced to a firm in India was taken to India to apply for a job with this firm given that he had done the same job for the same company for ten years. The Indian employer turned him down flat saying to his face that it was because he was a foreigner.

I agree that many West Indians came here to work in the fifties and sixties doing jobs that a lot of people didn't want to do. However there wasn't much unemployment in those days and certainly not many people from the EEC, Africa, Asia or anywhere else living here either. It's rather different now.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Sure, your countrymen leave when their Visas expire, how come we cannot go there under the same circumstances ? As I keep saying, why are they allowed to come here to work when they are taking jobs not just from the British but in fact all EEC workers, could a Frenchman get a working Visa for Australia or New Zealand without a sponsor ? As far as it goes once again it's a myth that girls have children to get a council flat. There may be some that do but it's not just a case of getting up the duff and you automatically get a home, you have to be in a situation where you have no home at all. It's also not just a simple matter of the government subsiding small companies to bolster the unemployed. You might ask why are there so many people getting degree that the country has no use for while you're at it.

People have these great ideas without realising what is involved to actually make it happen. Small companies stay small as they cannot generate enough business to expand for the reason that the market isn't there.

Because the immigration into this country is another joke. You let anyone in from Europe, yet it took me over 4 years, and about £3000 to stay here, I've paid all that, paid my taxes, pay my VAT on everything and yet I'm not entitled to any state money - NONE. I'm not bitter about that as it was explained to me very early on, but all those Europeans you'd rather them (Not contributing anything to stay here)? You're also more likely to have a polish person in line for your job than an Australian. Immigration to Australia went through this a long time ago, and then we stopped it, all of it. Australia doesn't want more people than it can cope with, the UK should learn from that.

It IS a matter of the government helping small business to grow and employ local people and get them back into work. There is nothing better for the self esteem of a society to have people in work. Its a simple basic fact of life. We'd love to give someone a job as we have too much work to cope with ourselves at the moment, but we can't pay someone to come off benefits - its isn't worth their while - wheres the logic in that?

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It IS a matter of the government helping small business to grow and employ local people and get them back into work. There is nothing better for the self esteem of a society to have people in work. Its a simple basic fact of life. We'd love to give someone a job as we have too much work to cope with ourselves at the moment, but we can't pay someone to come off benefits - its isn't worth their while - wheres the logic in that?

I agree totally with this sentiment, this is the first recession that I have known people out of work, all of them are ashamed to be in that position...ashamed to be collecting benefits, despite having spent in all cases somewhere in excess of 25 years in gainful employment and paying tax. In one case a friend took four days work and had to sign off her benefits, due to the amount of time to receive the wages earned and get back on her benefits again it left her for a couple of weeks with no income whatsoever...any system that treats people like that, or discourages employers from taking on new staff is completely broken.

Cameron made a statement about society being broken, sorry Dave but I disagree with you wholeheartedly, however some of the stupid rules and regulations governing employment and benefits certainly are.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I dread to think what that costs each year. yet another good reason to not have any religion in schools. Surprisingly America is one country that does not allow religion is schools, something they have got right. Kids going to St Pauls end up travelling for 3-4 hours a day which is just too much. I don't know what it's like now but most of the decent teachers were non Catholic, a lot of the Catholic ones must have got the job for the sole reason they were Catholics, a lot couldn't have got it on ability.

Frankly if we have State Catholic Schools why can't we have State Schools for Muslims and Hindus only ? Then you get those poor unfortunates who are bought up as Jehovahs Witnesses who are excluded from a lot of school activities at the behest of their parents.

The Catholic Church pays for students that travel free so costs the taxpayer nowt.

As for the concept - the church picks up a very significant chunk of the bill for running the entire school - so is helping out the LEA or government (and thus the taxpayer). If a school wants to operate in a certain way but still provide a top drawer education and there is a large proportion of parents who support this and want their child to go there, whats the problem?

I believe there are Jewish state schools out there, are there not Hindu/Muslim schools? And Catholic schools are not for Catholics only - they are for anyone who is willing to respect the ideas they will be taught and encouraged. They are sometimes selective because so many non-Catholic families want their children to attend, which also kinda undermines your agument that they have no place.

Teachers-wise, they hire the best people for the job regardless of religion, end of.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Because the immigration into this country is another joke. You let anyone in from Europe, yet it took me over 4 years, and about £3000 to stay here, I've paid all that, paid my taxes, pay my VAT on everything and yet I'm not entitled to any state money - NONE. I'm not bitter about that as it was explained to me very early on, but all those Europeans you'd rather them (Not contributing anything to stay here)? You're also more likely to have a polish person in line for your job than an Australian. Immigration to Australia went through this a long time ago, and then we stopped it, all of it. Australia doesn't want more people than it can cope with, the UK should learn from that.

First thing, I agree about the immigration situation. I am getting married later this year to a foreigner who is a non EEC national. The chances of me being able to live with her are slim, why ? Because she will not get a visa as I don't have a full time job. I could wax lyrical about people who have never paid a penny to this country getting given homes but that's been done to death. My local council, (for what it's worth a Tory council) have told me that despite I will have a wife and two children I will not qualify for a council house as they are not British or EEC citizens. I have found our immigration offices obtuse and obstructive and in fact have been given incorrect information by them as well, these are people I pay taxes to keep in a job. Anyway, that's my lot and there's not a whole lot I can do with it. Having contacted my local MP (a Tory) I haven't had the courtesy of a reply.

As far as helping small businessmen goes, this has been done before. What happened was that the governments (both Labour and Conservative) agave grants to all and sundry but it was not cost effective for a variety of reasons. Most people know about John Delorean, that's one end of the spectre. On the other hand a lot of businesses given government grants squandered the money as they didn't know what they were doing. It was of course in no small part down to the various Civil Service business advisors who were utterly clueless. A good few years ago I went on a full time IT course (even though I had been in IT for 20 years at that time) because a government 'expert' advised me too, this was despite me wanting to do something else. I was in my late 30s at the time and in fact was young enough to change to another profession, something that is just not possible now. I was sent on an IT Training course for a year which left me with an HNC. Although it's there on my CV in all the interviews I have had since (and that must be well into three figures by now) I have been asked about it once. The course did not cover what was needed to get back into work even though that was it's aim. There were people doing a two year BTC course (which was a lower qualification than mine) who wasted two not one year of their lives. Nineteen people started my course but only nine completed it. Of the people who did only three work in IT now. The college who ran the course were useless and we missed out on several parts of the course that might have been useful and the course was very badly planned.Frankly it was a dreadful waste of public time and money but although we complained to the governing body who were supposed to oversee the course nothing was done. The point is how much public money is wasted on badly managed schemes be they for training or subsidy ?

Easy to criticise the government but I was heartened this morning when I heard David Cameron say that he was going to put a stop to the bonuses that Labour have been giving to civil servants. I know the Liberals were looking to take a more active interest in the way the Civil Service is run and I applaud this too.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm assuming here you're able to work but just can't find a job?

So if a local company were able to pay you a wage which gave you enough money a month to rent a place and put food on the table most of your problems would be solved wouldn't they?

But the current view is that you pay the individual not the company, and I think that's created so many societal issues it beggars belief...

I know its a simple premise and it is grandious to put things at a simple level, but surely its worth a shot? We of course must pay care not to trip up those people who genuinely need help because of sickness or disability, but those who can work should be able to take these roles that are being offered to the incoming Europeans who will work for a tuppence - it doesn't seem right...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here