Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much is YOUR pay rise this year

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
No actual increase – but if I convert my salary into pounds it’s gone up about 10% in the last 9 months as the pound has tanked against the dollar.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I got a 1% pay rise in October.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Love it how the government ask employers to show pay restraint and yet the public sector pay rises (given the evidence on here) seem to continue?

No doubt civil servants everywhere are now smashing a response into their keyboards (** could I just remind you that whilst you are doing that my taxes are paying your wages)

** For those of an agressive or unstable disposition this is a flippant comment designed to create an irrational response, known on NSC as fishing)

Most public sector salaries are agreed years in advance though. So yeah, I get a pay rise this year, of about 2 point something percent (can't remember exactly), as part of a three year deal. The Conservatives have already intimated they will seek to stop this (presumably while their MPs vote themselves another rise and pop in the expense forms for that hot tub in the second home), but then they've never been big fans of the public sector, have they?

2% is hardly pushing the boat out IMHO, and the flip side is that police officers, nurses, teachers etc aren't in a position during the boom times to go to the boss and say "hey, I'm doing a great job, give me a massive bonus/ salary increase". We get what every other person in our position does, no matter how good or bad we are at our job. Private sector employees, on the other hand, are often in a position to negotiate.

PS my taxes are paying my wages too :p

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Private sector 2% bonus last Xmas plus 2% pay rise in July this year, in addition to that double time will be introduced for working bank holidays after July this year.

Originally it was going to be nothing , but the Union managed to get it changed ..so im happy with that

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Public 2% and probably 0% this year. Don't think I ever received anything over 4% in the last 10 years.

The other annoying thing about the public sector is that unions have more or less got rid of performance related pay. That means that you'll get the same increase as the work shy git next door. The unions also look after the people at the top of the pay scale rather than those at the bottom. A few pay deals ago the progression was so crap that it would have taken me 47 years to reach the top of the pay scale.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I never got a pay rise for the last 7 years I was at BT due to the union forgetting the 20 or so senior operators (supervisors) around the UK who were also linguists. This allowance wasn't consolidated into pay and pension protection rights when there was a regrading exercise.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Didn't get one last year but apparently performance reviews start next week and a potential pay rise will be based on that.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
all i can say is that when the time does appear on the horizon pm me and i am more than happy to share some advice on who to contact etc (bearing in mind i left work in august and my carers allowance finally got sorted about 3 weeks ago!!!)

it is a slap in the face, i've worked full time since 16 years old so the best part of 25 years paying tax etc, but on balance i just could not let a stranger look after my mrs and my son.

good luck taybha :wave:
Good luck to you all - hope I am never in your situation but if I was I agree, couldn't let a stranger look after my family. As you say, the system is wrong.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Self-employed, run own company, no increase in charge-out rate since 2003. It's known as the real world.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Nothing. Again. But at least I have a job. Beginning of last year I had nine people working for me. By the end of June it will be none!

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Education sector - no pay rise. Did get an insulated cup earlier this year though, so that kind of makes up for it. There was a rumour we might get M&S Vouchers at Xmas, but that never materialised. The annoying thing is that whenever we have the Management Meetings we get told that the College is making a profit for the the 3/4/5th continual year, but we never see any of that in pay rises or investment in my faculty - which is the largest and quickest growing of any of them. We work bloody hard to recruit new students, therefore bringing in £4K per student, and we have to fight to get new printer toners.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Zero, same as last year.

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
I'm a self employed spark in london, a year ago my rate was 165 per day, it dropped to 145 but rallied a bit to 150's, from next week it will a big fat zero as the contract i was on is finishing and the building trade is still dead in london. EVRY TRADESMAN I KNOW HAS HAD A PAY CUT/PERIODS OF UNEMPLOYMENT IN THE LAST 18 MONTHS.:mad:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm commission based. Took a nasty hit last year, probably a 30% cut. Oversaw payrises for my division and had input into mine as well, but knew mine was part of the measly budget that I had. So no rise and a 30% cut, but things will be better this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here