Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you hate southern trains

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Every time I come down to Worthing to visit my dear old mum I marvel at how wonderful the train service is along the South Coast - trains rattling by every few minutes. You should try the train service in Gloucestershire - you can stand on a station for almost hours at a time without a train coming along.
Some people don't know how lucky they are!

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Been commuting to East Croydon from Southwick for the last two years - no problems in fact vey reliable. Only delays are outside their control due to Network Rail, jumpers - 6 one week & Thatcher who privatised them in the first place!

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
These are wonderful:

bswann442417paddockwood080708.jpg

I have never had a problem with their trains, so it's quite easy for me to sit here and say that I quite like them. I like how helpful their staff have been with me when booking tickets, I like how I've been treated by their staff and their conductors and I've never had a problem with any part of their service, and I've had to travel home a few times on the last train to Brighton. I have no problems with Southern, they're running a service and it's impossible for it to be perfect, and unfair to expect it to be in some ways.

I'm surprised you haven't said you don't believe anyone else's bad experiences because yours have been good ones.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have never had a problem with their trains, so it's quite easy for me to sit here and say that I quite like them. I like how helpful their staff have been with me when booking tickets, I like how I've been treated by their staff and their conductors and I've never had a problem with any part of their service, and I've had to travel home a few times on the last train to Brighton. I have no problems with Southern, they're running a service and it's impossible for it to be perfect, and unfair to expect it to be in some ways.

All of that said, I do read The Argus, and some of the reports coming out of Southern about cutting services in the morning, etc, really isn't good and their service perhaps could be improved. But overall I think it's good, I don't think they've done anything overly bad.

Do you travel a fair distance everyday? And I am not talking about HH to Brighton or similar.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I think they are alright when I use them to go between London and Brighton or either Coastway East or West. Certainly better than FCC or FGW, by miles! I also dislike SWT for being the last to agree to Oyster in London, the tight bastards.

I can't believe it, mild mannered BOF seems to have a grudge developing against the young ninja.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I'm just glad FCC are getting brand new "electrolite" trains within the next year to replace those piles of turd they run at the moment :yahoo:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm just glad FCC are getting brand new "electrolite" trains within the next year to replace those piles of turd they run at the moment :yahoo:

They have some of them now, but only a few.

Thing is, Southern/SWT run trains older than the FCC ones in and around London, but they don't feel as crap as the FCC trains.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
They have some of them now, but only a few.

Thing is, Southern/SWT run trains older than the FCC ones in and around London, but they don't feel as crap as the FCC trains.

The FCC trains feel so cheap. The ride is just so rough, from experience on the HH to Three Bridges journey every day. It feels like the ruddy wheels are loose and are wobbling all over the place :lol:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The carriages are nice, the timetable and punctuality of them though are absolute shite.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The FCC trains feel so cheap. The ride is just so rough, from experience on the HH to Three Bridges journey every day. It feels like the ruddy wheels are loose and are wobbling all over the place :lol:

There is also that clanging sound on the roof I think? Its not major, but enough to pick up on and be really irritating.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I've been fined three times now, once on my way to work and twice coming back from work and I nearly got arrested for it! The first incident wasn't my fault, I was going to pay the conductor and he was ready to distribute the return ticket I wanted, and his f***ing machine broke down, so when I got to Shoreham Station, surprise surprise the ticket men were there, they didn't believe me about the conductor machine breaking down, so I had to pay the twenty quid fine.

The second time was coming back from work, and jumping off at Fishergate was two men standing there. I didn't buy a ticket, because its only two stops and it aint a main station Fishergate, so I started to have a arguement with a Scottish guard and he nearly arrested me, untill his mate said just let him pay the fine!

The third time was today, same station this time, say outcome. I'm getting totally sick off it. I might just get the bus from now on, because we pay their wages to stand at damn stations all day long, talking about things. Whilst many of us push, pull or even work on computers for a living it makes me sick to the stomach!

I hate Southern!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The fact you actually fare dodged in the last two instances means they had every right to fine you.

And if you aren't paying, then you aren't paying their wages..

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The second time was coming back from work, and jumping off at Fishergate was two men standing there. I didn't buy a ticket, because its only two stops and it aint a main station Fishergate, so I started to have a arguement with a Scottish guard and he nearly arrested me, untill his mate said just let him pay the fine!

The third time was today, same station this time, say outcome. I'm getting totally sick off it. I might just get the bus from now on, because we pay their wages to stand at damn stations all day long, talking about things. Whilst many of us push, pull or even work on computers for a living it makes me sick to the stomach!

I hate Southern!

Serves you right fella running a railway is a buisness not a f***ing charity, You tried to fare dodge got caught and you got fined for it thats how the system works so I dont see what you've either got to moan about or try and argue about.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I last used them they were pretty good - it was the underground which was a mare. It's only when you compare the UK rail network as a whole to what's available in mainland Europe, the States, Canada etc. that you realise its shortcomings and what a ridiculously high price you pay to use it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Do you know what I f***ing hate?

The way on Southern Trains the little tables on the seat in front of you creak horribly when you unfold them. Puts me right off my beer :drink:.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As somebody who has lived in countries with no public transport I have no complaints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here