Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you hate southern trains

D

Deleted User X18H

I love Southern Trains the 0733 always does a whistle as it passes over The Drove / South Road Bridge and gently wakes us up by the time the 0815 Hove - Victoria has done the same we know it is time to get up and out of bed!!!

Thank you Southern!!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Since first capital's rolling stock failed to arrive, southern have lent them carriages which means the 7.24 to nedford has nice, 2 and 2 layouts whilst the 7.33 has annoying 3 and 2 on loan from south eastern. whatever happened to a policy of giving your worst stock out and keeping the best?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The correct answer of course is "Not as much as I hate First Crapital Connect."

Correct. I have never had a big problem with Southern since all the new rolling stock came in. I must admit I haven't got many trains since I stopped commuting last year but when I was, whenever there was a delay 99 times at of 100 it was a Crapital train with the problem. Having said that, neither of them have enough seats.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I commuted to London for 8 years and apart from the teething problems with the new trains a few years ago never really had much problem.

If being 10 minutes late once a week is your biggest problem and that winds you up then perhaps you need to change jobs or take a chill pill. Jesus, I assume you have never been late for anything in your life.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I don't think they're too bad (compared to some other 'operators') but I think greater thought could be spent on aesthetic of their train-type-vehicles. Additionally, their colour pallet lacks finesse - which I find annoyingly disingaging.

Their bogs also stink of piss.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was brilliant when the new Southern trains first came into service, it was a baking hot Summer and it was QUALA coming back from work in comfy-seated air-conned splendour.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Since first capital's rolling stock failed to arrive, southern have lent them carriages which means the 7.24 to nedford has nice, 2 and 2 layouts whilst the 7.33 has annoying 3 and 2 on loan from south eastern. whatever happened to a policy of giving your worst stock out and keeping the best?

Because the new timetable with the Gatwick Expresses etc and the Thameslink stock is all the DfT ideas and Southern have no say and are doing what they are told

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Because the new timetable with the Gatwick Expresses etc and the Thameslink stock is all the DfT ideas and Southern have no say and are doing what they are told

Exactly -certain things are out of their hands thanks to the DfT. At least they got the early morning London Bridge train back in after listening to customers. That is a good thing as some businesses in this world completely refuse to listen to their customers. At the end of the day, I think they are doing an adequate job and some people need to chill out. I wish that all I had to worry about in life was whether a train would arrive on time or not... least of my worries anyway! It kind of puts life into perspective.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
I Dont hate them but why were the trains to and from MK To Clap so small they were like 4-6 carriges surely they must of been aware of the fact brighton fans were going on the train?
I Think they were london midland trains anyway so im not sure why they are called southern

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never had much problem with them to be honest. Reasonably reliable and comfortable commute to and from London, and most delays were rarely Southerns fault (jumpers, signal failure etc). Saying that, I do Brighton to Victoria and don't need any connection, nor do I have to bundle for a seat.

Oh, and I looooove the new Gatwick Express service. I take an inexplicable sense of superiority passing through East Croydump and Clapham Junction without stopping, smiling smugly at any poor sap whose eye I catch stuck on the platform waiting for a stopping train.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Whoever dreampt up the Gatwick Express stock movements wants f***ing shooting Ernest it's a right lash up, It used to be simple they came down to Gatwick turned around and went back 20 minute's later and now the bloody things go all over the place.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
there never bad at times early in morning and late at night , they like to play up at most important times. and trust me not all conductors are nice , I got on train once to buy a ticket he said pay at brighton then i got fine when got there lazy ****** didnt wanna get his machine out :mad:

You mean things go wrong more often at the times when they are trying to run loads more trains, and get several times the amount of people onto them?

How does that work??

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
As many have aleady said... Southern are pretty good really.

On my route from Billi to London Bridge they are usually on time, clean and comfortable trains. They were a bit screwed up with the cold weather but weren't they all?

First Capital trains are a disgrace - I can only feel sorry for those lumbered with them... every experience with FC has been grim :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here