Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much did you spend on your wedding?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Stst Brother said:
Another thing we've done, as we are both nicely set, house & furnishings wise.
Instead of asking for presents we've requested a donation towards the cost of the honeymoon.
I personally didn't want anything by way of gifts, but it soon became apparant that people would turn up wih something, anyway, so we might as well have some control over it.

Exactly, see post at bottom of first page.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
eastlondonseagull said:
Good to hear all your plans / circumstances, thanks. A wedding in Finland sounds amazing, Lokki!

Jenni's dad's a farmer in Chesterfield, so we're getting married in his local church with his local vicar, and her grandparents are doing the flowers. The reception's going to be in a local hotel for about 120 people (my extended family is enormous), but we're going for a simple meat / veg stew and dumplings which will cut down on the cost of catering. The evening do will be a full-on party at the farm (camping for people who don't want to fork out for hotels etc) with finger food made by friends of ours. We'll be using our own decks / CD decks etc and a few of our mates are DJs, so that'll cut cost of music down a bit.

Jenni's already bought her dress (only £300 apparently) from Monsoon, so that was a snip, and the bridesmaids' dresses were on sale at House Of Fraser.

We're not going to ask for presents, just small contributions towards the honeymoon, I think. We already live together, so don't really need anything for the house (unless anyone wants to conjur up a plasma screen or something!)

Thanks for the spreadsheet offer, Hannibal. Will PM you now :thumbsup:

£300 for the dress, ha good luck my friend, I've got some magic beans for sale if you like :lolol: :lolol:

Be warned no matter how clear you make that part of the invite, people will still off load stuff on you. So far we've been promised a carriage clock, & for some reason a salad bowl.
Also making & printing your own a nice simple order of service saved a small fortune, just put it on some nice paper.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Stst Brother said:
£300 for the dress, ha good luck my friend, I've got some magic beans for sale if you like :lolol: :lolol:

Straight up, I've seen the price tag! Unless that was a decoy wedding dress :eek:

Stst Brother said:
Also making & printing your own a nice simple order of service saved a small fortune, just put it on some nice paper.

We've got a mate who's going to do them. We're DJing at his wedding, he's doing the invites in exchange :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our vicar showed us some other order of services.
1 was so rediculously over the top it must have cost a fortune, but even worse 1 was obviously done in a lunch break, black type face on standard white paper.
Made me realise @ least some effort has to go into it.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Have got some cross over here...

We wanted a wedding for us and our mates, not completley dictated by convention and the wallets of bank rolling parents, so got a £6k bank loan, for just the BEST f***ing party ever.

We got married in Dulwich 'Old Library' in the College grounds in 2004 - cost £1500 including
pitching a large self-hired marquee for the afternoon.

All my 'ushers' hired their own suits - no cost to me, except best mans and my own.
My mates don't expect to be dressed out by me, the kudos of being an usher (Car park/toilet/seating attendent) is enough isn't it ?! :lol:

We had got 100 bottles of Champagne, 20 cases of Stella (and a few bottles of brandy for thanks presents) all delivered Chilled from Oddbins for £1500.
For what it's worth we got Heisidseck Blue Top Monopole which is not to fizzy, and great taste too) for the speeches.

(UN) Surprisingly all bottles of pop went in about 2.5 hrs between 100 guests which included parents and some pregnant women, so over a bottle a person..! GULP! :drink: :drunk:

We then hired a Routemaster for £375 to ship us all to Brockwell Lido where a big party ensued, with BBQ for 180 people, free punch for all, swimming lifeguards, and fireworks for £2000.!
:rave: :rave: :dance:

Cake was 200 fairey cakes bought from Forfars *shock, but date check me..* with edible photo's of me and Mrs Rowdey on top from Jane Asher no less - cakes were pressie from my mum so can't say what cost was, but so much better than trad cake imo..

and for ELS, the best bit was getting an account set up at Trailfinders which everyone could pay into towards a honeymoon climbing Kilimanjaro.. £3500 Kerrrr Ching..!! :lol:
Even took my BHA scarf all the way to the top!

:albion:

Oh, suppose you should include 3 rings @ £1800, so guess we went over a bit..!

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Change from £100. We were really skint.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
getting married next year in july and looking at what people have spent, may have to put it back 5 years

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Stevie_boy said:
getting married next year in july and looking at what people have spent, may have to put it back 5 years

Live in sin like me, its the only way! :lolol:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Race said:
I'm happy to, its the other half

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Race said:
The only reaon you live in sin is because you do not want to be Mrs Butters and have everyone say that you spread easily:eek: :p :lolol: :lolol:

That or your first name is Marge;)

Last edited:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Stevie_boy said:
I'm happy to, its the other half

Oh dear! In 13 years its never been discussed by us, only by other people who find it strange that we arent even engaged!

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
B.M.F said:
The only reaon you live in sin is because you do not want to be Mrs Butters and have everyone say that you spread easily:eek: :p :lolol: :lolol:

That or your first name is Marge;)

Cheeky git! :lolol:

D

Deleted member 2719

We spent about 10k 6 years ago.

That includes:-

Church
Dress
suits
car
photos
video
honeymoon in Mauritius
55 for sitdown at a hilton
120 for buffet in evening
and the best of all a cracking live band.

Mouldy tip :-
Forget the cousins etc and invite your friends.

Good luck it will be a great day for you.:thumbsup:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
My mates had a wedding in a church in central Hull (no choir, just a vicar). Then they had a party above a pub, which was lovely. (And cost 45 pounds including food! They told me!) The photos were free cos she's a local newspaper reporter and got her mate the snapper to do them... and the honeymoon was a gift from a parent somewhere.

Even after a new dress and full Highland dress from the groom's party and ushers, I reckon they got change out of a grand to be honest.

If your far-flung relatives want to be there enough, they'll pay to get there. I find this paying-for-family's-flights thing a bit odd... if my cousin in Bristol got married, I doubt she'd refund the train ticket if I went there!

Last edited:

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
3k for the lot, registry office, meal with dozen family and friends, used a mates sports car, honeymoon was a couple of nights in the Metropole on the seafront. Money well spent!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Elope, or better still stay single.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
My wife got her dress from ebay.
£200 made to order from China.
Excellent quality, highly reccomended A++++

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here