Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much did you spend on your wedding?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Stst Brother said:
caz99 said:
We have hired a chocolate fountain for the evening at the cost of £350 for 3 hours, hired 8 morning suits, cravats, waistcoats for the tune of £750.00. 2 cars £470.00

As if to underline what everyone is saying, you have to shop around, as 6 of us will be in full morning attire for just £400.00

Yes but we saw the suits in pronuptia which we liked and we got 10% off as well, when you see the quality and everything esle compared to some of the hire shops its a lot different. although i understand budget. sometimes you get what you pay for.

everyone is each to their own and i dont think it matters what you spend on your wedding day its personal preference.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
eastlondonseagull said:
You made your own cake? Jenni's thinking of doing the same - was it easy / what sort of cake did you make?

Plain and simple fruit cake really....
cakesmall0hh.jpg

Last edited:

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
eastlondonseagull said:

We already live together, so don't really need anything for the house (unless anyone wants to conjur up a plasma screen or something!)

:

YOU ALREADY LIVE TOGETHER BEFORE YOU ARE MARRIED :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh my god - wouldn't happen in holy catholic Ireland :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

23 years ago mine cost £5,000 everything included - even the spending money for the two week honeymoon in the Canaries. Made my own three tier fruit cake. A guy who worked with us was a choirmaster so we had a choir free of charge, two cars £80. Four course sit down meal for 75 people but after paying for everything on the day we were left with no money to buy drinks at the reception - so a couple of late cash pressies came in very handy.

If I were to do it again I wouldn't spend half of that - lot of money wasted on things that at the time seemed like a good idea - buttonholes for all the guests and boxes of matches etc to put on the tables - but at the end of the day what you pay is what you want to pay.

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Gwylan said:
I'm staggered at the cost of all this. If I had a spare 20 grand knocking around, I'd rather spend it on the house or on a really good holiday. Not to mention the fact that for every year afterwards, the wedding anniversary could clash with a Brighton or Sussex match :)

I'd like to know whether all the happily-married couples think that all the expense was worth it, or do they wish they'd spent their money differently?

Worth it?

Wedding day was some quad biking, a swim, sauna, steam, massage, an hour up the driving range.

8 min ceremony - then beer, wine, decent food and all your mates dancing and getting battered.

Best wedding I've ever been to.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gwylan said:
I'm staggered at the cost of all this. If I had a spare 20 grand knocking around, I'd rather spend it on the house or on a really good holiday. Not to mention the fact that for every year afterwards, the wedding anniversary could clash with a Brighton or Sussex match :)

I'd like to know whether all the happily-married couples think that all the expense was worth it, or do they wish they'd spent their money differently?

I have to agree there. My mother used to run a catering business and I sometimes helped her out. I could never understand why so many people would spend thousands on a wedding then move into one or the other's parents spare room. Utter madness.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Barnet Seagull said:
Worth it?

Wedding day was some quad biking, a swim, sauna, steam, massage, an hour up the driving range.

8 min ceremony - then beer, wine, decent food and all your mates dancing and getting battered.

Best wedding I've ever been to.

...... and there were no women involved at all ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think we had the whole thing for under 10K including

wedding at Poynings church
flowers at church and reception
invites / cards/ menus etc
cake
6 morning suits
1 wedding dress
1 bridesmaid dress
sit down 4 course for 50 at Tottington Manor in afternoon
buffet/disco for 80(ish) in evening

BUT

that was 16 years ago and didn't include the Honeymoon safari in Kenya.

1 Tip - Find somewhere you like for a reception, choose a menu, wine etc that you would like yourself and then limit the number of invitations to your budget. I think it is better to have a smaller number of people having a better time, but good luck whatever.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
this is amazing, people are saying spending 20k on a wedding is no problem and at the same time moaning in another thread about not being able to get on the property ladder . . . errr £15k is a big deposit for a first timer, and 5k is enough to do the right thing and have a decent bash

Any less than half arsed father in law would probably agree as well and give the best for his daughter, if he ws contributing, somewhere for a young family to live !

Mrs Zef made a great cake, and dress . . .she even took me to Gresham Blake for a tailor made suit (as a birthday pressie) as well :love:

just as well or I'd have turned up in a set of throbnozzle racing overalls or something :)

as we have such a wide range of freinds, dress was whatever you want at our wedding, we wanted people to be able to relax and enjoy the day, not feel unconfortably trussed up in candy arsed monkey suits !

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
eastlondonseagull said:
That's beautiful :clap:

Like Stst Brother's iced fairy cakes idea, too.

Thanks, its easy really, and I enjoy it, it just takes quite a bit of time making the flowers and covering it but worth it, you can make the bottom layer fruit cake and the top layer chocolate (theres usually a few people who don't eat fruit cake)...Iced fairy cakes are really popular now, loads of fun to make and eat too!!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
5 years ago yesterday, we got married at the Grange in Lewes. Nice, easy bullshitting of the vows, a group of around 10 mates then off to the Elephant and Castle for egg and chips and a few beers.

Probably cost around £300 in total.

How someone can justify spending 10k on a wedding is just totally beyond me....but it's each to their own i suppose.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
zefarelly said:
this is amazing, people are saying spending 20k on a wedding is no problem and at the same time moaning in another thread about not being able to get on the property ladder . . . errr £15k is a big deposit for a first timer, and 5k is enough to do the right thing and have a decent bash

Any less than half arsed father in law would probably agree as well and give the best for his daughter, if he ws contributing, somewhere for a young family to live !

Mrs Zef made a great cake, and dress . . .she even took me to Gresham Blake for a tailor made suit (as a birthday pressie) as well :love:

just as well or I'd have turned up in a set of throbnozzle racing overalls or something :)

as we have such a wide range of freinds, dress was whatever you want at our wedding, we wanted people to be able to relax and enjoy the day, not feel unconfortably trussed up in candy arsed monkey suits !

i assume that was aimed at me.

my father has offered to give us the money for the deposit for the flat, but we chose to have the wedding paid for as we wanted a nice day and what we wanted. i have three extended families coming from a foster home.

i am not moaning about saving for a deposit i am moaning about the constant rise in prices and the unobtainablity it will be for first time buyers because of second home owners want to 'invest' and 'cash in'

as i said before personal preference is everyones wedding. i dont think you have a right to slag off someone spending £15k anymore than i have to slag off yours for costing £5k.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Gwylan said:

Best day of my life bar none. Although mine was 15K I didn't cough all of the expenses which were spread over Father in law, my parents and myself. More to the point, it was what my wife wanted and women will always remember their wedding days. Just ask my mate who got so pissed he made a complete twat out of himself when he gave his speech - Father in Law 'Say something nice about Rebecca - Groom 'Stop f***ing pressurising me'

My advice as has been re-iterated here is to shop around. Don't get ripped off (Its expensive enough as it is and costs can be reduce if you shop around) and most of all enjoy it.

The only downside is my anniversary now coincides with the first day of the football season.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Mine was 5k all in and inc honeymoon in 2003.

Absolutely brilliant day, didnt scrimp on anything, had a lovely country church and hotel and over 150 guests.

You can do it without wasting money.

We had a lovely week in Antigua all inclusive too.

Just shop around and be sensible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another thing we've done, as we are both nicely set, house & furnishings wise.
Instead of asking for presents we've requested a donation towards the cost of the honeymoon.
I personally didn't want anything by way of gifts, but it soon became apparant that people would turn up wih something, anyway, so we might as well have some control over it.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Got married in South Africa (my wife's South African) - which certainly cut the costs down - even taking into account costs of flights.

But my best tip would be not to mention the word "wedding" if you're buying anything - people just treble the price - even dry cleaning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here