Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much did you spend on your wedding?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Me and missus ELS are trying to keep costs down and we've managed so far to get help with things like church hire, flowers, reception hire etc.

But what could feasibly be described as a realistic budget wedding, other than nipping down ASDA for the cake etc?

Ta all.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Depends on what you are including.
Ours came in at over £10k, but that includes wedding dress, rings and honeymoon.

Quite how she justified £1500 on a dress is still beyond me.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
getting married in france this summer and doing everything much like you are els.

i also once got married in england (michaelham priory) when we did the same.

getting yourself in on the act for booking flowers etc is not only a way of saving cash, it definitely gives a much higher quality result!

the budgets you read in the press of £20k each etc are just nonsense.

£10k should be ample and then some

enjoy!

(oh and things like florists etc are so much cheaper in france!)

Last edited:

I think the average UK wedding is up near the 20 grand mark now. Staggering.
We got married in a Finnish lakeside castle for free because my mum-in-law is the manager. :) Total cost for us was only about £3.5. I can ask her if she will do you a deal if you like.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
got married in Shoreham airport . . .cant remember the cost, but £350 rings a bell

champ-agne, Lunch, drinks and everything for 26 or so cost us a grand

haven't had the party yet

the photos where a pressy from my Dad,

we used our own car, because its cooler than anything else.

we spent the money building a proper extension to the house and adding £25k value to it.

oh, we did burton a grand staying at Claridges the following night and dining at Petrus

:rolleyes:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My wedding cost about 14,000 without the honeymoon and we didn't get married in church but at the same venue as the reception. Including the honeymoon it was about £20k I tihnk.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
108 people in the day including Rings and Honeymoon cost me £15K.

If you PM me I'll send you the spreadsheet breakdown of how much everything cost.

As afters said a grand on a dress was extortion but we made money back having the reception at the Officers mess as her Father is RAF. Saved a fortune on drink.

Also, Saved money on doing my own orders of service and place lay outs, that kind of thing.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
afters said:
getting married in france this summer and doing everything much like you are els.

i also once got married in england (michaelham priory) when we did the same.

getting yourself in on the act for booking flowers etc is not only a way of saving cash, it definitely gives a much higher quality result!

the budgets you read in the press of £20k each etc are just nonsense.

£10k should be ample and then some

enjoy!

(oh and things like florists etc are so much cheaper in france!)

We got married married in France as well. I hope you're having one of their traditional wedding cakes, can't remember what they're called, but it was basically a huge tower of profitta rolls, fantastic.

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Or you could come to the racecourse, have the best wedding planner in the world and get great deals on venue hire and catering! ;)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I can't quite grasp how you can spend £20k on a party to be honest. I suppose if you invite all the extended family you don't like and never talk to and get the numbers up to 100 + at 50 quid a head thats 5k, double it for a very expensive honeymoon, thats 10k wasted.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
n1 gull said:
We got married married in France as well. I hope you're having one of their traditional wedding cakes, can't remember what they're called, but it was basically a huge tower of profitta rolls, fantastic.

mais oui, c'est une piece montee.

fantastic

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Mine was £14k not including rings or honeymoon.

chobby

Aug 23, 2004
Lancing!! Sompting actually!
We were at the registry office in the morning. Then we all (10 people) went to Goodwood races for the afternoon, Richmond enclosure, restaurant , etc.

Think it all came to about £2,500, include the pre and after wedding honeymoons and big party for everyone a week later.

And Mrs Chobbs let me watch MOTD in bed on our wedding night! :love: Mrs Chobbs:love:

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
chobby said:
We were at the reception office in the morning. Then we all (10 people) went to Goodwood races for the afternoon, Richmond enclosure, restaurant , etc.

Think it all came to about £2,500, include the pre and after wedding honeymoons and big party for everyone a week later.

And Mrs Chobbs let me watch MOTD in bed on our wedding night! :love: Mrs Chobbs:love:

very sensible, and a good woman to boot I've no doubt !

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Good to hear all your plans / circumstances, thanks. A wedding in Finland sounds amazing, Lokki!

Jenni's dad's a farmer in Chesterfield, so we're getting married in his local church with his local vicar, and her grandparents are doing the flowers. The reception's going to be in a local hotel for about 120 people (my extended family is enormous), but we're going for a simple meat / veg stew and dumplings which will cut down on the cost of catering. The evening do will be a full-on party at the farm (camping for people who don't want to fork out for hotels etc) with finger food made by friends of ours. We'll be using our own decks / CD decks etc and a few of our mates are DJs, so that'll cut cost of music down a bit.

Jenni's already bought her dress (only £300 apparently) from Monsoon, so that was a snip, and the bridesmaids' dresses were on sale at House Of Fraser.

We're not going to ask for presents, just small contributions towards the honeymoon, I think. We already live together, so don't really need anything for the house (unless anyone wants to conjur up a plasma screen or something!)

Thanks for the spreadsheet offer, Hannibal. Will PM you now :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here