Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How long will YOU give Fab before calling for his head

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Plodder was allowed two full seasons of mediocrity before accidently stumbling upon a winning formula, largely due to the world class talent at his disposal. FH has barely had time to unpack his suitcases, and has inherited an ageing pair of slow horses as the core of his defence. How about cutting the guy a bit of slack eh?
:LOL: I have been seriously toying with using this as my new user pic but sadly if I let my hair grow the resemblance would be unacceptably uncanny. And I am not going to apologize for derailing the thread.

1727598118725.png

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Fab absolutely SLAMMED in the guardian .......

True, it helps if an opposition manager chooses to shoot a whaling harpoon through his own foot, which is basically what Fabian Hürzeler did here by playing if not the stupidest high defensive line of all time, then perhaps the stupidest yet. Clearly, Hürzeler is an ideologue with a set way of playing, even if that set way is destined to become an act of self-immolation.

There will be talk of a crazy game and a mad half-hour. But the form of madness in play was the Albert Einstein definition of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So high was the Brighton line in the first half you wondered if Hürzeler had seen Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster play before, neither of whom is likely to challenge for the world indoor 60m title any time soon.

The moment Chelsea worked this out midway through the first half Brighton were toast, the game dissolving into an experiment into how many times Nicolas Jackson could beat Dunk in a straight footrace from the halfway line (answer: many, many times).

I'm still baffled as to why he didn't change it during the game. It was like a schoolboy match .... Stunned silence in the away end.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was mainly disappointed with his blaming individual errors rather than taking it on the chin and having unrealistic expectations of a defence that is clearly never going to be able to deal with his tactics in a PL environment. i would have called it naive but he claims to know what he is doing..

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don’t yet have the same confidence in him that I had in Potter or De Zerbi. But I think he needs to be given time to work with a full squad and get them to gel before we judge. So I’d say to the end of the season unless there’s serious risk of relegation.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Preston Panthers U14 would have carved us open let alone Chelsea, hopefully Hurzeler will have a bit of a rethink because that was really, really bad yesterday.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I certainly won't be calling for his head, but I like many saw this game as a clear litmus test of Fab's tactics and adaptability.

We've looked horribly vulnerable to seemingly simple through balls, as a result of our high pressing defensive tactics.

I saw the way Chelsea play with pace to burn all across their front line as the ultimate test for us, especially as every team we've played so far, including Crawley were able to exploit our lack of pace and defensive organisation.

We could relatively easily have conceded 7 or 8 today and at times it looked horribly naive.

Here's hoping Hürzeler can sort it put, as he comes with a reputation of being able to adapt to situations, and we are definitely in a situation.
👍🏽 Naive is the word.

But, yesterday we played with a teenager an/or a new boy at right back, 2 CB's past their peak, slow and one lacking in confidence and match time, and a left back still regaining match fitness. . . . Before you consider tic tacs and style.

we were lucky not to concede 8 I agree, but we didn't get dry humped like we did against Everton or Villa last year. We scored twice and could easily have had more.

we have always been crap against the counter as our CB's are very padestrian. Add to that Chelsea have the best young striker in the country at the moment . . . 4-2 seems like a respectable result.

There really is nothing to worry about. It's just irritating, like most of the bile on here the last 20 hours or so!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Unpopular view but is been clear since the start of the season we are set up in such a way that regularly conceding a hatful of goals is inevitable.
we have been lucky so far though, so that hasn’t really mattered.
if we continue to fail to find an effective way of defending, there will be calls for him to be sacked by November.
That’s football for you.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Fab absolutely SLAMMED in the guardian .......

True, it helps if an opposition manager chooses to shoot a whaling harpoon through his own foot, which is basically what Fabian Hürzeler did here by playing if not the stupidest high defensive line of all time, then perhaps the stupidest yet. Clearly, Hürzeler is an ideologue with a set way of playing, even if that set way is destined to become an act of self-immolation.

There will be talk of a crazy game and a mad half-hour. But the form of madness in play was the Albert Einstein definition of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So high was the Brighton line in the first half you wondered if Hürzeler had seen Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster play before, neither of whom is likely to challenge for the world indoor 60m title any time soon.

The moment Chelsea worked this out midway through the first half Brighton were toast, the game dissolving into an experiment into how many times Nicolas Jackson could beat Dunk in a straight footrace from the halfway line (answer: many, many times).

I'm still baffled as to why he didn't change it during the game. It was like a schoolboy match .... Stunned silence in the away end.
Friend of order: Albert Einstein said nothing like that. Its just people doing the same mistake over and over when they misattribute the quote to him.

The high line worked great until our players started to question their competence. There was naiveness but the high line wasn't it - the naiveness was to look for complicated solutions short after making a mistake. When you make a mistake like Webster did and the opponents score, you need to calm down and simplify to restore control and survive their bloodlust. We made it very easy for them to keep their adrenaline up.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I certainly won't be calling for his head, but I like many saw this game as a clear litmus test of Fab's tactics and adaptability.

We've looked horribly vulnerable to seemingly simple through balls, as a result of our high pressing defensive tactics.

I saw the way Chelsea play with pace to burn all across their front line as the ultimate test for us, especially as every team we've played so far, including Crawley were able to exploit our lack of pace and defensive organisation.

We could relatively easily have conceded 7 or 8 today and at times it looked horribly naive.

Here's hoping Hürzeler can sort it put, as he comes with a reputation of being able to adapt to situations, and we are definitely in a situation.

We ARE vulnerable to very simple balls through/over/towards the acres of space in behind our high line.

It was pretty obvious against Everton.
Now every club in the land knows, how simple it is to score against us. he will have to adapt.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Friend of order: Albert Einstein said nothing like that. Its just people doing the same mistake over and over when they misattribute the quote to him.

The high line worked great until our players started to question their competence. There was naiveness but the high line wasn't it - the naiveness was to look for complicated solutions short after making a mistake. When you make a mistake like Webster did and the opponents score, you need to calm down and simplify to restore control and survive their bloodlust. We made it very easy for them to keep their adrenaline

The high line worked great until our players started to question their competence. There was naiveness but the high line wasn't it - the naiveness was to look for complicated solutions short after making a mistake. When you make a mistake like Webster did and the opponents score, you need to calm down and simplify to restore control and survive their bloodlust. We made it very easy for them to keep their adrenaline up.

It was Rita Mae Brown

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Good managers see their teams weaknesses and adjust their tactics to counter them. We’re about to find out if we have a good manager or not.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Friend of order: Albert Einstein said nothing like that. It’s just people doing the same mistake over and over when they misattribute the quote to him.
Ha! Next you’ll be telling me that Albert Einstein never said “put a big lad on the back stick and sling it in the mixer.”

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
OP, REALLY?! Just, wow. Don't understand that at all. Literally played 6 games and lost to a Chelsea team who are starting to click (annoying as I HATE them). We did go 1-0 yesterday, so it's clear we are working, but there's just a lot to working.
Did you actually read the OP? I am fully behind FH and was very entertained by yesterday’s first half! It was some of the comments on the match day thread that made me wonder how patient some on here are!

That’s it, I am not in any way expecting to be wanting him binned!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here