Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How long will YOU give Fab before calling for his head

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
It's a worry that Chelsea were able to work out how to beat us after just 8 games this season.

But then again it's been pretty obvious for a while, that we don't have the defenders to play the way he wants us to.

This. I'm probably gonna get rinsed for this but Dunk has to go. I've been saying that for a while but if we are determined to play this high line, risk reward football, he hasn't got the legs for it. I love him, he's superb in the box, captain fantastic etc.... And his passing is brilliant at times, but he doesn't have the pace for this style of football. If we were back under Hughtons style I'd say he should never retire, but it's the high line that kills him.

That's just as much a critisicm of De Zerbi / Hurzeler as it is of Lewis, because he can't do anything about his pace, he's being told to play this way.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies as this has almost certainly already been said.

We knew before this match that we didn’t have the personnel to play the high line against the pace of Chelsea’s attack.

That we did so anyway is a learning experience for a young manager still finding his feet at this level.

Dunk has a great ability to tackle and make a last ditch block, he isn’t going to win many (any?) races running back toward his own goal. The defence look uncomfortable. Hürzeler has to look at the defensive setup. Webster’s mistake was unfortunate, and frustratingly does seem to be a feature of his game.

I’m not going to be calling for anyone’s head this season. If we’re still making the same mistakes (and not different ones) next season, then I will start to fear we’ve made a mistake.

If we want to persist with the high line, then only JPvH out of our current central defence is a realistic prospect going forward, and we need three new central defenders who have pace as one of their key assets, and are comfortable with always chasing back toward their own goal.

We won’t have any new personnel until January at the earliest, unless we have what we need in the U21s, so FH will need to tweak his ideas for at least the season until January.

My personal view is that we’ll see tweaks to the system, rather than throw away 75% of our existing central defence. Having said that, if you keep upgrading the other areas of your team, there will come a point where what was previously your strongest area eventually becomes the area which needs improvement.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Haven’t read the whole thread, so apologies as this has almost certainly already been said.

We knew before this match that we didn’t have the personnel to play the high line against the pace of Chelsea’s attack.

That we did so anyway is a learning experience for a young manager still finding his feet at this level.

Dunk has a great ability to tackle and make a last ditch block, he isn’t going to win many (any?) races running back toward his own goal. The defence look uncomfortable. Hürzeler has to look at the defensive setup. Webster’s mistake was unfortunate, and frustratingly does seem to be a feature of his game.

I’m not going to be calling for anyone’s head this season. If we’re still making the same mistakes (and not different ones) next season, then I will start to fear we’ve made a mistake.

If we want to persist with the high line, then only JPvH out of our current central defence is a realistic prospect going forward, and we need three new central defenders who have pace as one of their key assets, and are comfortable with always chasing back toward their own goal.

We won’t have any new personnel until January at the earliest, unless we have what we need in the U21s, so FH will need to tweak his ideas for at least the season until January.

My personal view is that we’ll see tweaks to the system, rather than throw away 75% of our existing central defence. Having said that, if you keep upgrading the other areas of your team, there will come a point where what was previously your strongest area eventually becomes the area which needs improvement.
I read that Igor was our quickest defender.
Presumably that was why he came on.

I suspect that the tactical tweaks would be to either play 3 centre backs, or keep Baleba further back as he has genuine pace.
I just don't think he has the discipline to do that.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
If we go down - a big if, I agree - would we say we trust in FH to bounce us back up ............................ or would we say, nah, failure, get rid?

In those circumstances I would say yeh, let's get rid. But, if we were still in the PL for the 2025-26 season, I'd say let's go again (but sack at Christmas (2025) if still not getting anywhere). Can't say fairer than that.......................................
If we go down (and we're not) with this team, he would be sacked.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This. I'm probably gonna get rinsed for this but Dunk has to go. I've been saying that for a while but if we are determined to play this high line, risk reward football, he hasn't got the legs for it. I love him, he's superb in the box, captain fantastic etc.... And his passing is brilliant at times, but he doesn't have the pace for this style of football. If we were back under Hughtons style I'd say he should never retire, but it's the high line that kills him.

That's just as much a critisicm of De Zerbi / Hurzeler as it is of Lewis, because he can't do anything about his pace, he's being told to play this way.
Agree re: Dunk, it’s time for a difficult decision/conversation. His form has dropped off a cliff in 2024.

I don’t blame RDZ or Hurzeler though, we recruited them knowing how they want to play, they’re not going to change their tactics or philosophy for one player no matter who it is.

Obviously keep Dunk as part of the squad and a third choice but we need a more mobile upgrade to play alongside JPVH. Like a lot of people, with all of the money spent and signings made in the summer, I’m amazed we didn’t bring one in then.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I didn’t see that performance as being as bad as most on here seem to have done.

We had Chelsea rocking when Webster made a bad mistake, Sanchez made two excellent saves and Palmer had a day he could only dream of, he was unplayable. Perfect storm from Webster’s error for few minutes. Except for the scoreline I found that first half incredibly entertaining and I was naive enough to think at half time that we could still turn it around.

On to the next one.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I didn’t see that performance as being as bad as most on here seem to have done.

We had Chelsea rocking when Webster made a bad mistake, Sanchez made two excellent saves and Palmer had a day he could only dream of, he was unplayable. Perfect storm from Webster’s error for few minutes. Except for the scoreline I found that first half incredibly entertaining and I was naive enough to think at half time that we could still turn it around.

On to the next one.
That’s a very positive post.

You should have a word with the person who started a thread about how long you’d give Fabian before calling for his head!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

On to the next one.
Yeah I'd agree with that.
If only Baleba's pile driver had been 6 inches further to the right....

Highlights included:
Chelsea singing "You're not singing any more" just as Sanchez passed the ball to Baleba.
The Cucurella chant
Sanchez again "Ole Ole"

The second half was disappointing.
With us right on top of Sanchez, I thought we'd be applying pressure on him and he was likely to throw one in.

Chelsea killed the game off well.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That’s a very positive post.

You should have a word with the person who started a thread about how long you’d give Fabian before calling for his head!

To be fair @Flounce did start it as a discussion based on the match thread, rather than personal opinion.

I never go on the match thread as everyone too reactive.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

On to the next one.

Sure and that is accurate, but if you can’t defend you won’t win games 😉

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
To be fair @Flounce did start it as a discussion based on the match thread, rather than personal opinion.

I never go on the match thread as everyone to reactive.

I absolutely go on the match thread, but whatever I post on there is whatever I’m thinking at that moment in time - that’s what it’s for.

Don’t look for any kind of reasoned analysis until at least the morning after the match.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Full of them today, soaking wet

Offside is offside though and although most of them were close, they were offside. Isn’t that the point of a high line? High stress stuff though

f***ing exhilarating stuff that we were on the wrong end of today due to a world class performance from Palmer

Most exciting 4-2 first half I have ever seen, even though we were on the wrong end off it :shrug:

Did I mention I go to/watch football to be entertained…and I was.
I can't be arsed to read all the bedwetting.

What I saw on MOTD last night was fast attacking entertaining football. Chelsea's goals included a silly penalty and a wanky short back pass gift. A couple of mistakes and we lost.

Now, football I was walking out of at 70 minutes was football where we played futile attacks against a low block then conceded a break away goal. Rinse and repeat, until a team that had lost 9 on the trot came to the Amex and scored 5. Dull, blunt football, with substitutions always made at 57 minutes. Constantly just above the drop zone. Not quite plucky. Disregarded. No....f*** that!

Anyone embarrassed by our defeat yesterday has acute entitlement syndrome with added sight loss and altered time perception due to inflammation of Shatner's Bassoon.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I absolutely go on the match thread, but whatever I post on there is whatever I’m thinking at that moment in time - that’s what it’s for.

Don’t look for any kind of reasoned analysis until at least the morning after the match.
Couldn’t agree more, but consequently so much nonsense is posted.
Generally, I’m at the games though, so wouldn’t anyway….
(Not saying anyone who at games isn’t on etc…, just personal preference)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Couldn’t agree more, but consequently so much nonsense is posted.
Generally, I’m at the games though, so wouldn’t anyway….
(Not saying anyone who at games isn’t on etc…, just personal preference)
Much of my comments at the game is often on a par with much of the comments on the match thread.
ALthough i'm mainly focussed on why every decision the ref gives against us, is wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here