Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How jealous are Palace???!!! lol

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
I can understand how the Palace support will look at our spending and feel we are being hypocritical considering the stick we give them over their previous financial troubles (Jordan etc). However, Palace fans comparing the two as "the same thing" and "unsustainable" are not looking into what Bloom HAS done and CAN do. We have an interest free loan that Bloom will NEVER see back in his lifetime unless we make it into the Premier League and stay there for a few seasons gaining the 90 odd million as you do up there. Bloom CAN afford this and will quite happily never see a return on this as he bleeds blue and white, has had family in the club for years and just wants to build a legacy as an Albion fan. We are, as it seems, aiming for the Premiership and people talking about us been unsustainable will say, " You can't rely on making the Prem to sustain the spending" etc... I agree, yet even if we remain in the Championship for the next 10, 20 years Blooms financial input with regards to the debt and loan will not have changed. He will not make us pay it off and we can remain sustainable. Bloom is also a VERY rich man, close to being worth around the 800m plus mark. As an end point, that is a BIG differnce between him and Jordan.

It is very much the case that with such a terrific, wealthy chairman that success on the pitch will not be measured by sustainability off it and vice versa... Bloom is not an idiot. He is as well as a fan an incredibly successfull business man and all of his calculations will have taken time and be incredibly precise. Palace fans also need to realise the amount of money the AMEX can generate. We made 1.6 MILLION from the sales at the ground at the Donny game. Times that by 24 and you have plus 30 million. Now obviously that will not be the case for every game but coupled with the corporate and yet more corporate that will be added by the away end and Im sure 10 years down the line Bloom will not be too far away from recouping his money and again, if thats is not enough if we do complete the DREAM (It is a dream) of reaching the top flight then again the idea of the stadium and spending being unsustainable is quite frankly ludicrous.

Really, all that matters are the results on the pitch. I beleive they will be tight games. As much as I rate our squad as superb I look at other Championship clubs and feel sometimes that we are punching above our weight. We have little experience at this level I will admit but I just f***ing love our squad that has been so intelligently built by Gus Poyet. We have possibly the most desperate to do well, hard working hungry for success players in the league. We haven't just bough Championship experience. We have bought players like Greer and Painter who nearly had their careers wrecked by injury, young players released who are hungry to prove their old teams wrong in Bridcutt and Dicker and younger players Gus has brought through ARE WAY such as Barnes, Dunk and Agdestein while we have players who have worked so hard for success like ex roofer Craig Noone and former Dagenham non-leaguer Craig Mackail Smith. Truth is, unlike other clubs who splash money about, we are a bit different, a bit special. We have a soul. A stadium that promotes utter, joyess marvelousness when you step inside and a great community spirit that feeds a hard working ethic into every single aspect of the club. "We are brighton and we have an identity" as Poyet said and that could not be more true.

I cannot personally sit here and get on palace fans back and say "we are the bigger club" as quite frankly the last 35 odd years suggests otherwise. Honestly,congratulations on spending the last years in a higher league than us... Thing is down here we haven't really had much to contend with in the last 15 years or so have we? Anyway Brighton are back. The 1.5 million population of Sussex and within it the fans we have lost will look at out beautiful ground and want a peice of it. I cannot wait for a full house against Palace and then, only then will they realise what we are all about.

MM4B

All in all a reasoned post with which you didn't jump straight into a 'f*ck off nigel' or 'you ***** screwed over businesses blah blah blah' so thank you for that.

All I will pick up on is a couple of things to get some clarity on more than anything. The reason I am doing this is that you all seem to have lots of information on exactly what Jordan was doing when in charge of Palace and how much he burrowed etc etc, yet do not offer any such insights into your current owner. Hindsight has taught us a lot about Jordan - will it also about Bloom? Who know's is the only honest answer anyone can give.

With regards to Bloom being much wealthier than Jordan - for all I know you are probably spot on - but then the amount of his own personal fortune that he has spent is on a much larger scale than anything SJ ever did. Given that the only place that Bloom's wealth is listed is on a 442 link to the FT, his wealth is estimated at around £50-80m. We don't know how reliable that is, but having looked at and seen various articles and such like, I think it is fair to assume, that Bloom is probably somewhere between 2-3 times richer (in cash terms) than Jordan was. I'd argue that the % of funds ploughed into their respective clubs is pretty similar.

What remains to be seen is how this develops and pans out for TB. Whilst I don't think he'll have just donated all that money to you (just because he is a die-hard fan) with no hope of a return, I also think that if he can afford it, he will write that money off. The problem you guys face is what happens if his overall wealth takes a hit, and he then cannot afford to write off the loan. This is what nobody here will accept (or perhaps it is a case of avoiding that ugly thought).

Whilst TB has outside projects and his wealth (now reduced by about £100m) is dependant upon his portfolios and businesses working out, then your fortunes directly tie in with his own situation. If you achieve your Prem dream and stay there, then this all becomes a moot point, but until you do, it is still a big gamble.

The other point is that this £1.6m per game is not the money you'll make from each game on top of season ticket sales. ST's are pro rata'd into the £1.6m. So if that does equate to £30m, then that will about cover maintenance bills, player wages, transfer fees, staff wages, matchday costs - if there is any left then I assume that'll be ploughed into paying back the stadium loan.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
All in all a reasoned post with which you didn't jump straight into a 'f*ck off nigel' or 'you ***** screwed over businesses blah blah blah' so thank you for that.

All I will pick up on is a couple of things to get some clarity on more than anything. The reason I am doing this is that you all seem to have lots of information on exactly what Jordan was doing when in charge of Palace and how much he burrowed etc etc, yet do not offer any such insights into your current owner. Hindsight has taught us a lot about Jordan - will it also about Bloom? Who know's is the only honest answer anyone can give.

With regards to Bloom being much wealthier than Jordan - for all I know you are probably spot on - but then the amount of his own personal fortune that he has spent is on a much larger scale than anything SJ ever did. Given that the only place that Bloom's wealth is listed is on a 442 link to the FT, his wealth is estimated at around £50-80m. We don't know how reliable that is, but having looked at and seen various articles and such like, I think it is fair to assume, that Bloom is probably somewhere between 2-3 times richer (in cash terms) than Jordan was. I'd argue that the % of funds ploughed into their respective clubs is pretty similar.

What remains to be seen is how this develops and pans out for TB. Whilst I don't think he'll have just donated all that money to you (just because he is a die-hard fan) with no hope of a return, I also think that if he can afford it, he will write that money off. The problem you guys face is what happens if his overall wealth takes a hit, and he then cannot afford to write off the loan. This is what nobody here will accept (or perhaps it is a case of avoiding that ugly thought).

Whilst TB has outside projects and his wealth (now reduced by about £100m) is dependant upon his portfolios and businesses working out, then your fortunes directly tie in with his own situation. If you achieve your Prem dream and stay there, then this all becomes a moot point, but until you do, it is still a big gamble.

The other point is that this £1.6m per game is not the money you'll make from each game on top of season ticket sales. ST's are pro rata'd into the £1.6m. So if that does equate to £30m, then that will about cover maintenance bills, player wages, transfer fees, staff wages, matchday costs - if there is any left then I assume that'll be ploughed into paying back the stadium loan.

Goldberg made his money by running the dodgiest Recruitment Agency in the business, they were legendary for the strokes they pulled. Jordon was and probably still is a self publicisng, attention seeking big mouth. Tony Bloom is not shy of publicity but he let's actions speak louder than words. You Palace fans just hope he's as falable as your previous chairmen, frankly they have virtually nothing in common though.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Product of accumulated rage from ill-advised trips to BBS... The most recent rageahol is that Ryan Harley is shit, based on his only being proved (or not as they seem to think) from league 1 and usually backed up by the fact they have signed a finnish under-21 international or some such stupid toss. I for one am worried he will be as poor as they are sure he is, because Gus has a reputation for scouting players that don't improve our squad and signings such as Noone, CMS, Barnes and Greer have all shown league 1 signings are shit by only helping us win 3 out of our first 4 games in the Championship. And Hoskins has only managed 1 goal ALL SEASON!!! The wheels are falling off and we are signing bad players and Garvan was first choice over Harley. DERP TO THE f***ing HERP!

:clap::clap::clap:

All I will pick up on is a couple of things to get some clarity on more than anything. The reason I am doing this is that you all seem to have lots of information on exactly what Jordan was doing when in charge of Palace and how much he burrowed etc etc, yet do not offer any such insights into your current owner. Hindsihgt has taught us a lot about Jordan - will it also about Bloom? Who know's is the only honest answer anyone can give.

With regards to Bloom being much wealthier than Jordan - for all I know you are probably spot on - but then the amount of his own personal fortune that he has spent is on a much larger scale than anything SJ ever did. Given that the only place that Bloom's wealth is listed is on a 443 link to the FT, his wealth is estimated at around £50-80m. We don't know how reliable that is, but having looked seen various articles and such like, I think it is fair to assume, that Bloom is probably somewhere between 2-3 times richer (in cash terms) than Jordan was. I'd argue that the % of funds ploughed into their respective clubs is pretty similar.

Whilst TB has outside projects and his wealth (now reduced to the tune of £100m) is dependant upon his portfolios and businesses working out, then your fortunes directly tie in with his own situation. If you achieve your Prem dream and stay there, then this all becomes a moot point, but until you do, it is still a big gamble.

True it is a gamble and Albion fans are blind at times to the fact that Bloom, Albion aside, could make a mistake and loose all his money. But is that not the case with every other rich owner? There are a lot of them at the moment, few have ran out of money. Yes it could happen, no arguments there but football is a gamble sometimes, it's just we have a very good gambler with a fantastic bussiness empire and A LOT of money doing it. Bloom's persona and interaction with fans breathes calmness into everyone.

With regards to his personal fortune, that rich list is 110% a lie or takes into account very little of his assests. The man, I have been told by a very senior figure upon a visit to the stadium, is worth as much as Manchester Uniteds debts and upon asking how rich he was I was replied by "man in suit" with, " he could pay off Uniteds debts ". Rich important man telling me this and the evident spending suggests Bloom is indeed worth close to this. Time will tell.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The problem with Palace is that because they have been badly run for the last few years (as indeed we were through out the late eighties and nineties) they seem to think that all clubs are run like that. They just hate the fact the after years of them looking down on us for their false financial position they now know that they are now utterly inferior to us in every way.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
The funny thing is that during the entire saga of Jordan's ownership (that as we all know ended in administration) the fact that we splashed any cash was criticised by you lot as financial mismanagement and us 'spending beyond our means'. This despite the fact that our revenue streams were many times what yours were. Now that our owners are actually taking a prudent approach and (in doing so) are actually safeguarding our future - that too is a sign of poor financial management on the part of our board. All the while Bloom is adopting the same school of thought as Jordan etc and suddenly that IS the way to be a club with a secure financial future. Even though the debt you have got to one man is over double the amount that we had in our administrations combined and until this year with pittance in the way of revenue.

Surely you can see the absurd hypocrisy in your own statement?

No Palace fan is at all proud of what went on in the last decade off the field and rightly so. However, your shifting of the goal-posts as to what constitutes acceptable running of the club to fit in line with your own way of doing things makes you look silly and as such your points equally so.

Bloom is about as far from the Jordan school of thought as it gets. Our 'debt' to him, unlike yours, is not subject to any interest payments. Furthermore, the loan has a backstop share conversion provision in it. I am unaware of such a provision ever being included in any of your financial arrangements. This is an important point because it ties Bloom's investment in the stadium directly to the value of the club as a whole - if he fails to run the club properly it will be unable to pay any of the loan back, in which case he would be forced to accept shares in the club as a replacement (which would clearly be worth very little if he had run the club poorly). Add into the mix the near certainty that the stadium would never receive planning permission for another use and the fact that the Bloom family have been involved with Brighton for years and the difference becomes clear. Bloom has tied himself in, and is committed to, the long haul. Jordan wanted to make a quick buck and was attracted by the glamour of owning a football club.

Well - if all that is true, and that is how it works out I'll be the first to acknowledge that fact and congratulate you (and Bloom) on making it a success. Honestly I will.

His wealth I do not doubt is substantial - the only point I make is that many fantastically wealthy fans with business acumen and pedigree lose all sense of rationality when it comes to running a football club. This is where it can become a money pit and good money gets thrown after bad. As I see it, the money currently spent by Bloom has been well directed in so much as infastructure is getting the majority of it. As long as the fans don't start demanding more and more of Bloom's investment on the pitch, it may not be as big a money pit as it could be (see Pompey or Cardiff here).

The problem could arise two - three years down the line if Premiership money isn't coming in. You must all surely believe that the Prem is heavily involved in the calculations...

Tbh there's no evidence, as yet, that Bloom is spending his money on anything other than infrastructure/capital "projects" - eg the stadium itself and the training facility/academy in Lancing; this fits with his statement when on becoming chairman that the "Club must be self-financing when it moves to the Amex". I guess we'll have to await publication of the 2011/12 return/accounts (March 2013) to see but I don't see why the current revenue expenditure on players etc cannot be met from ticket sales, subscriptions, catering, stadium hire and the large increase in corporate sponsorship.

Quite agree with your point about fan expectation and personally I hope TB doesn't go down that route - the board using their money to fund revenue expenditure in not a business model that any Brighton fan with a minimal knowledge of the club's history should be comfortable with.

I guess whether future Premier League money is pivotal is down to if TB want's a return from his investment (or any of the capital back really); the impression given thus far when he's spoken is that it's being witten off - almost philanthropic really. An unusual stance I agree but the Bloom family is very, very weallthy, have bankrolled the club for years and been shareholders/directors since the early 1970's.

No doubt we'll see as things pan out over the next few years but there is now no way that the ground can be sold (as The Goldstone, Selhurst etc) because of the the lease conditions imposed by B&HCC.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Palace4ever fella, do yourself a favour pal, click on the little white cross in the top right corner, log off, pick up a broom and go clear up the broken glass outside Argos. You have lost this argument several times over, you have submitted a few dozen paragraphs of speculation to what amounts to ifs, buts and maybes regarding Tony Bloom, his money and how he is managing our club etc etc, you have laughingly been warning us of the pitfalls and dangers of financial mismanagement without a single fact in sight in any of your ramblings. Its the only straw you have left to clutch at in order to somehow make us feel worried or somehow inferior to Palace and its so utterly pointless and inconsequential that you are just embarrassing yourself now. You carry on convincing yourself that your new found financial prudence will bring you success, it wont plain and simple, for 'financial prudence' read 'haven't got a pot to piss in' and you simply won't be able to compete any more at this level and will sink into League 1 & 2. Keep living in the past and your massive success at simply surviving in the top 2 divisions, I've quite enjoyed winning 3 league titles and having 4 exciting promotion seasons over the last few years along with building a superb new stadium, club & infrastructure whilst Palace have been stagnating and simply treading water. Give up the Tony Bloom angle and try and hit us with something remotely football related Palace can claim to be better at than the Albion. And I mean here and now in the present rather than the past.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
True it is a gamble and Albion fans are blind at times to the fact that Bloom, Albion aside, could make a mistake and loose all his money. But is that not the case with every other rich owner? There are a lot of them at the moment, few have ran out of money. Yes it could happen, no arguments there but football is a gamble sometimes, it's just we have a very good gambler with a fantastic bussiness empire and A LOT of money doing it. Bloom's persona and interaction with fans breathes calmness into everyone.

With regards to his personal fortune, that rich list is 110% a lie or takes into account very little of his assests. The man, I have been told by a very senior figure upon a visit to the stadium, is worth as much as Manchester Uniteds debts and upon asking how rich he was I was replied by "man in suit" with, " he could pay off Uniteds debts ". Rich important man telling me this and the evident spending suggests Bloom is indeed worth close to this. Time will tell.

I posted sometime ago about one deal Bloom did last year and i know for a fact (i know the guy who did the investigative work for the deal) and Blooms profit exceeded 1 billion

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Our ground looks like concrete :wozza:

Shit, I wish now we'd gone with the Bamboo option with the thatched roof, rather than use the same material used in every single stadium ever built. I bet we used f***ing steel girders too, those bastards at Buckingham should have listened when we suggested the alternative eco friendly natural latex rubber girders.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Palace fan thinks our fan looks like concrete, what shocking revelation next? Sea just looks like water? House made of bricks resembles brick house? Football pitch just looks like a load of grass on a flat surface? Croydon looks like a diseased maggot ridden turd?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Easy 10 put up an intelligent argued case but it was ignored or just not understood by most of the Palace fans. Its a shame it is degenerating into this slagfest but I put it down to the fact BHAFC are genuine contenders and rivals now after Palace have had the upper hand for over 2 decades and they don't like it, they don't like it one little bit and the only way the can counteract it is by speading lies, ignorance and mistruths but we had that already with Lewes DC for 5 years and there is an argument to say if you say something enough times it will become true. I know a lot of Palace fans through REMF and they are one and all great blokes and genuine blokes, just decent football fans like most of us so knowing them I am depressed and slightly embarrassed for them with the crap being spouted on their fans forum.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
After reading the 9 pages it is clear that EVERYTHING is seem in a negative light. EVERYTHING. I may take it more seriously if it were more balanced but they undermine any legitimate points they may have with the blanket " everything is crap " diatribe. Very sad and as I said slightly embarrassing.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
After reading the 9 pages it is clear that EVERYTHING is seen in a negative light. EVERYTHING. I may take it more seriously if it were more balanced but they undermine any legitimate points they may have with the blanket " everything is crap " diatribe. Very sad and as I said slightly embarrassing.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Just a couple of my fave snaps folks !!

228330_6522244246_701644246_273037_1648_n.jpg

222480_6522239246_701644246_273036_1496_n.jpg

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Oh i forgot this one too !!

283038_10150246177036034_678601033_8146520_8350168_s.jpg

ENJOY !!!!