Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How happy are you with the way DK is running the club?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:
You said it - he saved our club so why the question?

Greg Stanley also saved the club.....allegedly.. by paying off the taxman just before the winding up order or was that Beeney money?. Luckily we started to question him though. Not saying that there is much comparison just that we have the right to question.

I have total faith in DK's intentions for this club but I am uneasy with his lack of communication when things are going badly. I also doubt the availability of the 100k plus available for players which we have failed to spend in 1 and a half years. I know we are not an attractive proposition at the moment but how hard do you think he is looking for investors?

Questioning the people at the top is healthy, imo.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Icy Gull said:
Questioning the people at the top is healthy, imo.

Yes I agree - but if you're unhappy with DK - are you unhappy enough to oust him? And who/what would you replace him with?

To me the guys an absolute gem - ok so sometimes the message we're getting about certain issues isn't clear enough for some people but can you fault the fact that his heart is in the right place?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:
Yes I agree - but if you're unhappy with DK - are you unhappy enough to oust him? And who/what would you replace him with?

To me the guys an absolute gem - ok so sometimes the message we're getting about certain issues isn't clear enough for some people but can you fault the fact that his heart is in the right place?

I'm not saying that we should replace him just that he and we should be considering an eventual replacement whilst being eternally grateful for what he has done in the past. We also have to continue to have high expectations of him in the present rather than keep harping back to the past. Managers are judged on current performances and so should chairmen be, shouldn't they?

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
8/10 for me, and the only reason he dropped a point was letting the McGhee saga drag on too long.

I suppose communication could be better, but I think we are just a bit too news hungry in the era of text messages from the club, podcasts, even bloody NSC. Even in not to distant early nineties we relied upon the Thursday interview with the manager in the Argus and most club information was in the Sports Argus on a Saturday. You very very rarely heard anything from Directors/Chairmen and that went for most clubs.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rougvie said:
8/10 for me, and the only reason he dropped a point was letting the McGhee saga drag on too long.

So that would be 9/10 then? ;)

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Turkey said:
He's done a huge amounts for the club but I have been disapointed with his recent actions.

You refer to the sacking of MM and the public repremanding in the Argus of Wayne Henderson?

I'm in favour of the MM sacking, I just wished it had come sooner. I think your annoyed that he was sacked at all. Either way were both pissed off about the same issue!

That being said, at least he did sack him, so I'm not holding that against DK.

Going to the Press about Henderson (and I'm a Kuipers fan) is totally OTT. He shouldn't have got involved.

So, In m book.. a complete legend, shouldve sacked MM ages ago, shouldnt have gone to the press re hendo, could improve communication with the fans.. but other than that I wouldn't want anyone else in charge at this time.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
So that would be 9/10 then? ;)

It was before the whole sorry McGhee saga rumbled on.

Can you see McGhee taking the players down the sea front for an ice cream ? If he did I bet Chocolate wouldnt have been on the menu.:jester:

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Rougvie said:

No probs with the Hinshelwood saga in 2002?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Broadly speaking - yes. As others have said he's not perfect, he's not rich and he does make mistakes. However he is by some considerable distance the best chairman we have ever had, probably only 'Carlo' Campbell in the 1950s comes close. Even others who have done well (Bamber in the 70s for example) ultimately either overreached themselves or simply settled for managing our decline.

Look where we were when he took over - homeless and about to go out of the League. Since then he's had us punching above our weight, depsite the handicap of playing in a tiny, crap athletic ground and he's fought an exhausting campaign against some of the biggest wankers ever to get involved in local politics.

He will obviously step down one day, and we all should get down on our knnes and pray that the next incumbent is a tenth as good as Knight.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I was disappointed it too so long to sack Mghee - he should have gone last january or after Stoke at home at the latest

I was disappointed the board moaned about relegation cost £1,000,000 but did not sign NGW until it was too late.

I thank DK for stopping the Priestfield trek and some great days out watching the team in Cardiff, Leeds, WHL etc

Overall 7/10 He does ok on limited resources. He needs to be more ruthless at the business end. If anything to loyal a guy in a cut throat business. That said he is better than most, just wish he could win the Euromillions

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rougvie said:
It was before the whole sorry McGhee saga rumbled on.

Can you see McGhee taking the players down the sea front for an ice cream ? If he did I bet Chocolate wouldnt have been on the menu.:jester:

Vanilla only I reckon....

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
jakes right boot said:
No probs with the Hinshelwood saga in 2002?

Its a fair point, however I didnt think at the time that the resources and quality of player we had available was ever going to be good enough to keep us up in the second half of the season even though Coppel blew that theory to a certain extent at the time.

Reasonably happy - he is light years better than what looks like the current available alternatives to replace him (Chapman, one of the Blooms) - and I think his work together with Perry on Falmer has secured him legendary status in our history on top of his slaying of the Archer dragon.

I was shocked and appalled at how he treated decent club servants like McGhee and Booker, but I realise in one important sense it was a means to an end, morality had to give way to expediency.

Dick Knight had to lower the inflated expectations of Albion fans who for some unknown reason over the past few years believe we have some kind of God-given right to be a Championship side despite our appalling finances.

Sacking McGhee has effectively done that, as people will accept results like Bournemouth and Southend with good grace now whereas they wouldn't have under McGhee.

Dick Knight has all along stated that midtable is our realistic target this season, but many fans would NOT have accepted midtable + McGhee but, perversely, they WILL accept midtable + Wilkins. If he had stayed, McGhee would also have embarrassed Dick Knight more in public about the need to spend more money on the squad, whereas Wilkins will not say one word about that as he is effectively totally under Knight's patronage and will not rock the boat.

Things are working out pretty well for Dick Knight this season then. We will get Falmer at the end of it and he will be a hero. We will get his target of midtable and fans won't kick up about that because the irrational focus for all their frustrations over no money, no signings and Falmer delays, Mark McGhee, is gone.

I don't like some of Dick Knight's methods, but you have to respect them, because they work.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
many fans would NOT have accepted midtable + McGhee but, perversely, they WILL accept midtable + Wilkins.

Even if I'm only speaking for myself, I think that's because midtable + a club moving in the right direction is entirely more attractive than midtable + the opposite.

Whether either manager equates to either alternative is another debate, but, for me, that's why I'd tolerate a midtable finish now this year.

Repugnant Toad said:
Even if I'm only speaking for myself, I think that's because midtable + a club moving in the right direction is entirely more attractive than midtable + the opposite.

What's you definition of "moving in the right direction"? Falmer? Not affected one bit by the management change. Bringing forward the younger players? McGhee's record on this was excellent. Signing Championship-standard players? Dream on pal :wave: In fact, we are on course to lose one of the few we have in Wayne Henderson, but that's OK because Kuipers is a fans' favourite and they will accept his errors, even garish ones like the Southend equaliser. So, no worries.

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I wouldn't want anyone else at the helm.Ok, he doesn't get the chequebook out too often, but that is because he isn't prepared to bankrupt the club.DK = ALBION LEGEND OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.
bobby.gif

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
YES. Just wish he had more money.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
We have suffered 9 years of false promises and bullshit from the potless pillock and now the club is going backwards, after 9 years a new stadium is no nearer and his last act was to sacrifice two loyal club servants to save his own fat neck.
The sooner he fucks off back to obscurity the better and remember it's BRIGHTON and Hove Albion not KNIGHTON and Hove Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here