Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did TRANSPORT go today?

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Long trains calling at stations with short platforms always have an on-train announcement - "Will passengers for XXXX please make sure they are travelling in the correct part of the train ..."

I guess there's either not enough time between Falmer and Lewes for anyone to do anything about this, or the announcement can't be heard over the sound of singing.

There was no announcement for Lewes regarding being in front 5 coaches, automated or from the guard. Maybe because platforms 1 and 2 at Lewes can accommodate 12 coaches the train thinks the whole station can so therefore no announcement? I know on my commute everyday you always get a short platform announcement for Berwick and Glynde etc...
That aside, I thought the trains were fantastic today and Southern should be congratulated!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
There was no announcement for Lewes regarding being in front 5 coaches, automated or from the guard. Maybe because platforms 1 and 2 at Lewes can accommodate 12 coaches the train thinks the whole station can so therefore no announcement? I know on my commute everyday you always get a short platform announcement for Berwick and Glynde etc...
That aside, I thought the trains were fantastic today and Southern should be congratulated!

I'm not congratulating anybody that took me to Haywards Heath via Polegate.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No problems at all on the train. Had planned for the 17.10 heading East but the amount of extra time played and what not put paid to that :)
Ended up getting the 17.40 Eastbourne bound train, quick change at Lewes and was back in Ore just before 7pm. I was expecting a long wait when we joined the queues up on the bridge but it moved along very quickly. More than happy with the way the trains/stewards/police etc coped with the sheer numbers. A big :clap2: to all involved I say.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
No problems at all on the train. Had planned for the 17.10 heading East but the amount of extra time played and what not put paid to that :)
Ended up getting the 17.40 Eastbourne bound train, quick change at Lewes and was back in Ore just before 7pm. I was expecting a long wait when we joined the queues up on the bridge but it moved along very quickly. More than happy with the way the trains/stewards/police etc coped with the sheer numbers. A big :clap2: to all involved I say.

This

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Mill Road bus back was crap ... assume it will get better as they get more experience but wouldn't mind trying Mithras House ... I know it's on Lewes Road but not sure where .. any help pls?

South Stand Sister

Sep 3, 2010
Sx Uni parking, home at 17.15-where the bar was waiting for me-great day with a great steward on duty at Dick's bar who stopped a bunch of q pushers getting in before me! :angel:

albionite

May 20, 2009
I didn't have any problems today. Bus driver let me on at 10.30am with voucher (on voucher says not valid before midday), got bus home at 10pm with voucher. Perfect day :)

Rocky Robin

Nov 15, 2010
Took the Albion bus from Royal George in Shoreham (£4 per game for the season). Pickups at Southwick and top of Portslade then onto the bypass. At the ground by 1.20.
Coming home ,waited about 10 minutes in the carpark then quickly away . Indoors in Shoreham at 10 to 6. Brilliant, no hassle.

Me too great service.......and loads of seats spare. I heard it was over an hour on the train

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
good to have you on board sir! bus left 5.30pm back at heath 6.05pm

To digress. What time did you get back from the Athletics last night ? Just before 1am into Hastings for us as we couldn't make the 21.20 something from Penge West due to refusing to miss the simply brilliant Mo Farrar and the amazing experience of witnessing a 51 yr old Merlene Ottey powering down the home straight ! :)

Last edited:

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
The London platforms at Lewes can (and do) handle 12 carriage trains (in both directions). It's the Brighton platforms that are necessarily short, because they are squeezed in between the bridge that carries Mountfield Road and the junction with the Eastbourne - Victoria line. Platform lengthening isn't possible.

Looking at the station using Google Earth, you can see a 4-carriage train at the southern platform and a 2-carriage entering/leaving the east side. Looks like they could quite easily fit in 6 carriages.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brilliant.

Parked the bike at the racks just outside the stadium, handily placed for a quick getaway. Had a couple of pints in the bar and still home for 6.00

That's transport sorted

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Stayed in the ground for an hour after the game having a drink and chat with family and watching Saints game. Walked to train station and hopped straight on a train no bother. I think hanging around after the game is the way forward! Great atmosphere as well.

Uridium

May 30, 2011
Mill road is ruddy popular though isn't it, going to have to try Mithras House. Seeing buses leave the ground to there with empty seats when you're at the back of a Mahoosive queue is a bit painful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here