Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can FOOTBALL generally, get any better for you?

Stumpy Tim

I would scrap red cards for professional fouls when a penalty is given - a goal-scoring opportunity hasn't been denied, it's just been changed. I would also just give a "penalty" goal (like a penalty try in rugby) when someone stops a goal by handball on the line.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Alex Ferguson to have chewing gum surgically removed from his gob. Let's see how long he lasts...

Arsene Wenger to have the incident he didn't see replayed into his head via implants.

Gerard Houllier to do all his post-match interviews in the style of Ian Holloway.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Been mentioned before but Champs league for Champions ONLY. And the current holder if they dont win their league obviously, even if they have to play the early qualifiers like Liverpool did.

Europa League? What? 50 games or something stupid like that. What? WHAT?

Bring back the UEFA cup straight knockout over 2 legs PLEASE.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Been mentioned before but Champs league for Champions ONLY. And the current holder if they dont win their league obviously, even if they have to play the early qualifiers like Liverpool did.

The European Cup weren't that great. The fact Dundee United were in the semi's in the 80's says it all. As a kid the UEFA cup was much better as it was so much more competitive.

Bring it back now and it would be a series of games where chelsea were smashing 8 past the champions of Luxembourg before we got to the semi's with the champiosn of England, Italy, Spain and Germany.

The Champions league isn't perfect (the group stages now are a right borefest) but at least it's interesting in the last 16 onwards.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The European Cup weren't that great. The fact Dundee United were in the semi's in the 80's says it all. As a kid the UEFA cup was much better as it was so much more competitive.

Bring it back now and it would be a series of games where chelsea were smashing 8 past the champions of Luxembourg before we got to the semi's with the champiosn of England, Italy, Spain and Germany.

The Champions league isn't perfect (the group stages now are a right borefest) but at least it's interesting in the last 16 onwards.
I would agree with this. However, the problem I have with the Champions League is that it is at the expense of other Euro competitions. The Cup winners cup has already gone, and the UEFA cup is now of zero interest until the semis.

Personally, I'd like to see the Champions league reduced in size (meaning 3 clubs MAX from the big leagues) and first round losers are OUT of Europe and not into the UEFA Cup, like it is some sort of plate competition.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would scrap red cards for professional fouls when a penalty is given - a goal-scoring opportunity hasn't been denied, it's just been changed. I would also just give a "penalty" goal (like a penalty try in rugby) when someone stops a goal by handball on the line.

I like that second idea. In fact I like both ideas.

I'd also advocate only captains being allowed to talk to the referee. Anyone else does so, and it's an immediate yellow card, free-kick and potential 10 yard penalty.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I would agree with this. However, the problem I have with the Champions League is that it is at the expense of other Euro competitions. The Cup winners cup has already gone, and the UEFA cup is now of zero interest until the semis.

Personally, I'd like to see the Champions league reduced in size (meaning 3 clubs MAX from the big leagues) and first round losers are OUT of Europe and not into the UEFA Cup, like it is some sort of plate competition.

The 3rd group team from the champions league going to the UEFA cup (or whatever the f*** it is now called) is a complete and utter piss take.

If you want to make the UEFA cup interesting put the winner of it in the champions league. Bet Villa wouldn't send out a 2nd string 11 then. It seems odd to me that teams spend all year getting into Europe and then can't wait to get knocked out. Just like the FA cup which no-one gives a f*** about either.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
For Rangers and Celtic to be told once and for all that they, their moronic fans and their sub standard players will never, ever be welcome in the English leagues.

The fact that the SPL has become an annual charade won on rotation by the Old Firm, leaving the rest of the teams way, way behind and Scottish football generally a complete joke is nearly 100% DOWN to Rangers and Celtic. They are in a mess of their own making, and they can lump it as far as I'm concerned. Says a lot that the cream of Scottish players have so far been complete TURD at Middlesbrough, and are languishing on the verge of the 3rd Division.

For a laugh! ( albeit rarther expensive) if I were the winner of that euro lotto ticket ( of which i am not) I would buy Rangers and celtic and merge them together.

Dr_Pepper

Oct 2, 2010
South England
For me it would be to have an actual league for champions league and the top 4 don't take part in Premiership.
And to have goal line technology or a referral system, so the captains can refer a decision they think was wrong.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would scrap red cards for professional fouls when a penalty is given - a goal-scoring opportunity hasn't been denied, it's just been changed.

So, you'd make it perfectly acceptable for players to foul each other, risk injury to other players without punishment all because they still get a goal scoring opportunity anyway.

Great, so a player waving and bobbing, just jump in break his leg when he's about to score. You get rid of the player from the game, and you face no punishment because they still get to take a shot on goal. Albeit taken by someone not as good, and your opponents star player and key man is now off the field. Totally worth it. :facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So, you'd make it perfectly acceptable for players to foul each other, risk injury to other players without punishment all because they still get a goal scoring opportunity anyway.

Great, so a player waving and bobbing, just jump in break his leg when he's about to score. You get rid of the player from the game, and you face no punishment because they still get to take a shot on goal. Albeit taken by someone not as good, and your opponents star player and key man is now off the field. Totally worth it. :facepalm:

That's not what was said though was it? A player jumping in and breaking a leg with a reckless tackle will get a red card wherever the offence occurs.

What was being referred to was the way a shove or a trip that probably wouldn't even warrant a yellow in the opponents half gets an automatic red if he's the last man.

I think it's fair enough if the offence is outside the area (as per Willie Young on Paul(?) Allen) but I go agree that a penalty is a fair enough, er, penalty without the additional red. A bit of an anomaly but there you go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here