Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can FOOTBALL generally, get any better for you?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That's not what was said though was it? A player jumping in and breaking a leg with a reckless tackle will get a red card wherever the offence occurs.

Essentially, yes, it was. Albeit an extreme example. Stumpy tim said players should get away with professional fouls if a penalty is given. That is different to "if it's not a red card offence outside the box it shouldn't be one in it".

I would scrap red cards for professional fouls when a penalty is given - a goal-scoring opportunity hasn't been denied, it's just been changed. I would also just give a "penalty" goal (like a penalty try in rugby) when someone stops a goal by handball on the line.

I'm sure there's more than a few people among the tens of thousands who visit Parkhead and Ibrox every week who aren't morons. Is this how our coppers think of football fans?

I would WELCOME a trip up to watch Albion at either of the Old Firm, visiting one of the greatest footballing and drinking cities on this planet. The problem would be where would you accomodate them initially in the English football pyramid?

You don't. They're Scottish, we're English. If their league is shit then that's their problem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Essentially, yes, it was. Albeit an extreme example. Stumpy tim said players should get away with professional fouls if a penalty is given.

Exactly. He didn't say players should get away with violent behaviour if a penalty is given.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Exactly. He didn't say players should get away with violent behaviour if a penalty is given.

"professional foul" is not a term found in the laws of the game so doesn't have a definition within the laws of the game. To me the term covers violent conduct, excessive force, and deliberate fouls. Essentially cheating and/or otherwise breaking the law and getting away with it simply because you get a shot at the goal anyway.

He also doesn't factor in the initial goal scoring opportunity could have been a yard out an open goal with a 99.99% chance of a goal being turned into a shot from 12 yeards with a goalkeeper which has something like a 75% chance of a goal, in these circumstances not only does a player cheat, get away with it, they actually benefit.

Last edited:

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Gus Poyet to announce he will remain at Brighton indefinitely.
Rooney to finally get nobody cares about his moronic whining.
Cashley Cole to announce his retirement.
Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City to all get relegated out of the top flight of football (I know, never happen, but a girl can dream).

Stumpy Tim

"professional foul" is not a term found in the laws of the game so doesn't have a definition within the laws of the game. To me the term covers violent conduct, excessive force, and deliberate fouls. Essentially cheating and/or otherwise breaking the law and getting away with it simply because you get a shot at the goal anyway.

He also doesn't factor in the initial goal scoring opportunity could have been a yard out an open goal with a 99.99% chance of a goal being turned into a shot from 12 yeards with a goalkeeper which has something like a 75% chance of a goal, in these circumstances not only does a player cheat, get away with it, they actually benefit.

I think you're thinking too hard to be honest. Everyone on this board (apart from you it seems) knows what I meant by a professional foul, and it doesn't include a two-footed tackle - that's violent play. That would still be a red card.

My opinion is that more games are ruined by a player getting sent off early (& a penalty being scored) in a game than your rather extreme examples.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My opinion is that more games are ruined by a player getting sent off early (& a penalty being scored) in a game than your rather extreme examples.

The different penalties for different rule breaking are set at the start of each season (and change only slightly from season to season), and they apply at the start of the game as they do at the end.

If a game is ruined because someone got sent off and conceded a penalty, perhaps we should expect more of the players instead of changing the rules to allow them to do what they like. It's the players that "ruin the game" in these circumstances, not the laws or their application. (Ref errors are another issue).

I think you're thinking too hard to be honest. Everyone on this board (apart from you it seems) knows what I meant by a professional foul, and it doesn't include a two-footed tackle - that's violent play. That would still be a red card.

The only foul that results in a red card is one that uses excessive force. (no card for careless, yellow for wreckless, red for excessive force) If you talk about fouls and sendings off, you are talking about excessive force. Anyone who knows the laws of the games would follow that logic.

A two footed tackle is excessive force, or serious foul play.

Violent conduct is any violent act when not challenging for the ball. A two footed tackle, by definition is not violent conduct.

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

The different penalties for different rule breaking are set at the start of each season (and change only slightly from season to season), and they apply at the start of the game as they do at the end.

If a game is ruined because someone got sent off and conceded a penalty, perhaps we should expect more of the players instead of changing the rules to allow them to do what they like.

I'm not suggesting players are treated differently at different points of the game. I'm saying a player shouldn't be sent off for giving away a penalty when the forward can get up & slot home a penalty - and any professional footballer should be able to score a penalty.

The only foul that results in a red card is one that uses excessive force. (no card for careless, yellow for wreckless, red for excessive force) If you talk about fouls and sendings off, you are talking about excessive force. Anyone who knows the laws of the games would follow that logic.

A two footed tackle is excessive force, or serious foul play.

Violent conduct is any violent act when not challenging for the ball. A two footed tackle, by definition is not violent conduct.

This is too boring for me to comment on. You know exactly what I mean.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The European Cup weren't that great. The fact Dundee United were in the semi's in the 80's says it all. As a kid the UEFA cup was much better as it was so much more competitive.

Bring it back now and it would be a series of games where chelsea were smashing 8 past the champions of Luxembourg before we got to the semi's with the champiosn of England, Italy, Spain and Germany.

The Champions league isn't perfect (the group stages now are a right borefest) but at least it's interesting in the last 16 onwards.

But whether a knockout or a league we get to the usual last 16 suspects anyway. Generally Milan, Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, Spartak, the odd one like a Wolfsburg or a lets say Spurs/Rangers for arguments sake, a portuguese side like Porto, a french team like Lyon, a Valencia or somesuch. etc etc

Besides I did advocate the need for qualifiers, which yes is what the "minnows" play before they get drawn in first round proper.

Just like oh, let me think, err umm, the FA Cup.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Make referees attend a post match conference to explain decisions

Link tv live feed to the fourth official to assist the referee with controversial decisions and allow the ref's mike to link to the PA to explain decisions

Impose a wage cap on players and on clubs gradiated throughout the leagues

Automatic points deduction for administration with no appeal and double the penalty for clubs entering admin for a second time (regardless of status of any holding companies etc). Removal of special status for football debts when entering admin.

Allow the top 2 SPL teams to join an expanded Championship and work their way up if they are good enough

Allow the next 4 SPL sides to join an expanded League 1

Allow the remaining SPL sides merged with League 2 and the Conference to form two new regionalised Leagues linked to the already regionalised feeder leagues below that level. Clubs at this level need not be full time professional

Up to 2 standing terraces permitted at all grounds

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not suggesting players are treated differently at different points of the game. I'm saying a player shouldn't be sent off for giving away a penalty when the forward can get up & slot home a penalty - and any professional footballer should be able to score a penalty.

Would you also think it would be ok for me to steal your car take it on a joy ride, and not be punished when the police catch me because you can get your car back anyway?

If you don't punish people for breaking the laws of the game, what is to stop them continually breaking them? Saying a penalty kick (which really is a penalty in name only) is enough is wrong, as you point out, they are just being given the goal scoring opportunity they had anyway. The fouling team lose nothing, but can potentially reduce the chances of a goal being scored.

Perhaps a professional footballer should be able to score every penalty, but they don't, partly because they sometimes mess up (still trying to shake off that knock?), partly because they are taking them against other professional players who should be able to save them. On average one in four is missed or saved.

Trip the guy over as he's about to slot it into the empty net from one yard, don't get booked because he can get up and take the penalty, even though he might not be the designated penalty taker, reduce the chances of a goal. Where is the punishment? Why not try the same thing next time, and the time after, and the time after, eventually one of them is going to lead to a simple tap in becoming a missed/saved penalty.

It would be inconsistent, and therefore unfair, to determine what punishment is due based on how bad the injury is. Two players can make identical foul challenges and one be against Terry who stands up and shrugs it off, the other be against drogba who is rolling on the floor for half an hour.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
have a goal in each corner of teh pitch, and multi ball !

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To paraphrase Blackadder "immediate resignation and suicide of the ref and linesman from the Bournemouth game"

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The following individuals to be prevented from ever having anything to do with football television coverage, ever again:

-Clive Tyldesley
-Jamie Redknapp
-Tim Lovejoy
-Andy Townsend
-Kevin Keegan
-Alan Shearer

How on earth have you managed to miss David Pleat off that list :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here