Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How bad was this chant by Arsenal fans

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I like the "its been happening for years" justification.

I'd like to hear a rapist use that in court....

"Come on m'lud, its only a rape. Men have been raping women for years ya wet lettuce..."

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Riiiight..... so its "water off a ducks back" in the opinion of someone who isn't having songs sung about their friends being murdered in front of them? Don't think you are qualified to make that judgement on his behalf, fella.

I can see where both of you are coming from. While some people get off on being indignant, actually it would be way more powerful generally for a player to not get upset by 'an offensive chant', for them to treat it like 'water off a duck's back', with the knowledge that all it is is an attempt by an opposing set of supporters to put him off his game. At the same time, this is totally compatible with having a commitment from players and the rest of the club that people attending matches don't get away with the kinds of chants being discussed on this thread. And if there is that kind of commitment, there should be an openness about facing up to the times when a player's own supporters are the guilty ones e.g. Tottenham hotspur football club should be condemning the anti-wenger paedophile chants as much as the current anti-adebeyor chants.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I just don't understand how the singers of these Adebayor/Munich/Istanbul/Heysel-type songs think they're entertaining, amusing or witty. They are not. And if they think they are winding up the oppostion, they're not. Players have long since become immune to such stuff and opposition fans will have an equally moronic section who will come back at them with similar stuff.

Do chants have to be abusive, hostile and aggressive to be witty and for fans to enjoy singing them? Maybe we live in age when some can only derive pleasure from life by being abusive, hostile and aggressive. Very sad.

I'm sure there are many who devote more time to chanting this stuff at the opposition than they do actually watching the game.

It's all so totally un-clever and incredibly childish. I don't want these people banned, I'd just like them to grow up and support their team in a positive way.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Those saying that Adebayor deserved it as he celebrated in front of the Arsenal fans 2 years ago are seriously wrong in the head.

I loved that celebration, it was a brilliant moment and the sort of thing that makes football. If I had been abused for nearly 90 minutes and then stuck one in I think I would have done the same, we always say that old fashioned passion has been taken out of the game but that was passion in all its glory. Murray must have had to try really hard not to do the same thing last week considering he got abuse from fans even while being an Albion player.

But at the end of the day it is only football and not life and death and that song was disgusting and those singing it should be banned. Along with the morons who sing equally sick songs at Sol Campbell, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and co.

With regard to the songs we sing, the shoot the palace scum song is sung by nearly every club in the country about their rivals, it is tongue in cheek and doesn't directly abuse one particular individual. The Stevie Coppell one however I think is repulsive and I have never joined in with it. No one deserves that being sung about them, especially a decent and dignified man like Coppell who served the Albion well.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I just don't understand how the singers of these Adebayor/Munich/Istanbul/Heysel-type songs think they're entertaining, amusing or witty. They are not. And if they think they are winding up the oppostion, they're not. Players have long since become immune to such stuff and opposition fans will have an equally moronic section who will come back at them with similar stuff.

Do chants have to be abusive, hostile and aggressive to be witty and for fans to enjoy singing them? Maybe we live in age when some can only derive pleasure from life by being abusive, hostile and aggressive. Very sad.

I'm sure there are many who devote more time to chanting this stuff at the opposition than they do actually watching the game.

It's all so totally un-clever and incredibly childish. I don't want these people banned, I'd just like them to grow up and support their team in a positive way.
True. Can you imagine if, say, a coach full of Brighton fans crashed on the way to a game, caught fire and some Brighton fans died? Then next time we played Palace some of their fans sang "The people on the bus went sizzle sizzle sizzle!" I don't suppose many posting on this thread would say "Yeah, my mate died in that crash, but it's just a song innit?" There was a massive outbreak of self-righteous indignation on here when Mark Bright wrote/tweeted some less-than-complimentary stuff about us, God knows what would happen in the hypothetical situation I've described.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Riiiight..... so its "water off a ducks back" in the opinion of someone who isn't having songs sung about their friends being murdered in front of them? Don't think you are qualified to make that judgement on his behalf, fella.

If i were a famous footballer i would hope i would be suficiently thick skinned to not let it bother me quite frankly. What you think adebayor is so overly sensitive that he may burst into tears or cry himself to sleep after the game because of those tweribly nasty arsenal fans. Quite the opposite hes much more likely to redouble his efforts to score and shut those fans up. Everybody is oh so worried about who is upset or offended today. They should put their energies into something useful instead of castigating whoever they can find over the
minutiae of everday life. Some fans were being a bit unsensitive to an ex player, hardly news is it.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Nightmare that isn't it? Why can't they all just chill out and we can have a right old knees up, sing some songs about real life murders and the like, yeehaw!

Or shall we just get oh so twerribly upset about nothing. I guess you are the hysterical, rightous type of individual who would take it upon themselves to tell some one off for talking on their mobile phone whilst stuck in a trafic jam or someone smoking a cigarette in the street within 20 metres of a poor innocent child or someone who fights for the rights of all ginger people. Thank goodness the world is full of such individuals to point out to the rest just where they are going wrong and the small errors they are commiting...every day of their lives

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
. Some fans were being a bit unsensitive to an ex player, hardly news is it.

There is a MASSIVE difference between shouting "You're shit" and "You should have died in a shooting which saw you lose some of your friends"

Until you are in a situation where you watch some of your colleagues/friends be killed before your eyes I don't think you can really comment on how he should feel about the chant..

PS. It's INsensitive

Oct 25, 2003
there's a difference between being "thick skinned" and carrying natural human emotions regarding the murder of your friends

i LOVE football chants, i think in the whole they're great, witty and humorous.....however i don't find mocking someone about a massacre involving them and their friends witty, humorous or in anyway acceptable

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
There is a MASSIVE difference between shouting "You're shit" and "You should have died in a shooting which saw you lose some of your friends"

Until you are in a situation where you watch some of your colleagues/friends be killed before your eyes I don't think you can really comment on how he should feel about the chant..

PS. It's INsensitive

Oh thankyou for correcting me, only a real snooty prick would correct the spelling or grammar of another person's post. Also i don't think you can say if one chant is more or less offensive than another..

P.S. It should have been you in Angola

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Oh thankyou for correcting me, only a real snooty prick would correct the spelling or grammar of another person's post. Also i don't think you can say if one chant is more or less offensive than another..

P.S. It should have been you in Angola

That last sentence made me choke on my sarnie. Priceless. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I'm going to put my neck on the line and say I would find a chant saying I should have died more offensive than "How wide do you want the goal".

Bold statement, I know.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The world is full of utter simpletons like southern_sid who know nothing of sensitivity and for whom everything is black and white with no areas of grey. All sex offenders should be shot, and equally if you don't like terrace songs (of any nature, apparently) you are a wet lettuce - no middle ground. Songs at football should be water off a duck's back because that's the way it has always been.

Maybe it's an age thing. I'm 40 now, and was watching Albion in the hooligan blighted days of the 70s and 80s so nothing really surprises me about what is sung. To be honest I am of the opinion that the result of some songs are more likely to make the bloke singing it sound more stupid and ignorant than of it riling the target. It's just that as I've aged, some of these chants have become less and less acceptable to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That last sentence made me choke on my sarnie. Priceless. :lolol::lolol::lolol:
No surprise really, as it was aimed at the "everyman" lowest common denominator types that you seem to epitomise.

Do tell us if and when your daughter gets raped or your mother beaten up and left for dead, only I'd want to have a f***ing good laugh about it on here at your expense. I know you wouldn't mind, as it's only the internet.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
No surprise really, as it was aimed at the "everyman" lowest common denominator types that you seem to epitomise.

Do tell us if and when your daughter gets raped or your mother beaten up and left for dead, only I'd want to have a f***ing good laugh about it on here at your expense. I know you wouldn't mind, as it's only the internet.

When you say "everyman" what do you mean??

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When you say "everyman" what do you mean??
This rather tediously shit chipper, blokey "coman sensse innit" persona you're trying to project.

The vaguely white van-man "fack off you wet lettuce, them peados need there bollox ripped off, love a scrap with Palace me, proper edgy atmos luv it" wank you come up with.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
This rather tediously shit chipper, blokey "coman sensse innit" persona you're trying to project.

The vaguely white van-man "fack off you wet lettuce, them peados need there bollox ripped off, love a scrap with Palace me, proper edgy atmos luv it" wank you come up with.

:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here