Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic Chanting

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So are Brighton fans being racist when they call palace fans "pikeys" as i do believe this is a degorgatory term for traveller or gypsy ?

I'm not having a go at anyone.....all i'm trying to say is that every football club in the world uses some sort of insult towards their local rivals or the team they happen to be playing and the nastier it is, the better.

We won't be able to sing at all at football matches soon.

indeed. are we going to face fans being banned for refering to any club west of Reading of being Welsh? any rural club of being sheep shaggers/inbred? saying referees are blind is surely against disability discrimination? imply a player is faking an injury is libel maybe?

its going to be like withdean at all stadiums at this rate.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Oh perlease....i'm almost crying here. Maybe you should go to church instead of football. I can just see the headlines.....Football fan in "i'm so insulted at football banter" shocker :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I suppose BHA fans calling Bristol fans "sheep shaggers" is morally degrading to the citizens of Bristol......and as for the "pikey" comments on here about palace....well i would feel so insulted if i was unfortunate enough to support them. You even have a sheep shagger as a "smiley" :sheep:

Let's all have a group hug now shall we :mexican:

FFS

You called me "Bevendean Cuntbilly" on here a while ago, and I am still laughing about it now, although that probably says more about me than you!

I do agree that the "you're too ugly to be gay" reply chant to the "Does your boyfriend" (snore) chant is one of my faves and went down well with the West Ham fans I was sat with

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why do the mods allow openly homophobic threads on this site? Just curious.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I did drop the FA a line yesterday just to see what, if anything, they are prepared to do in the event of homophobic chanting. Surprise, surprise as yet I have had no response but I would be very surprised that if they do in fact reply. If they do I'm sure it'll say something along the lines of 'The club's responsibility'.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I did drop the FA a line yesterday just to see what, if anything, they are prepared to do in the event of homophobic chanting. Surprise, surprise as yet I have had no response but I would be very surprised that if they do in fact reply. If they do I'm sure it'll say something along the lines of 'The club's responsibility'.

The responsibility of which club though ?......will it be up to the "victims" to report it or the "offenders" to do something about their fans....because if 2,000 fans start singing homophobic stuff, i can't see their club banning them all can you ?

It's an absolute joke.....a few rounds of "hark the herald angels sing" will soon be ringing out around grounds

It'll be interesting to see what the reply will be...if any.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The responsibility of which club though ?......will it be up to the "victims" to report it or the "offenders" to do something about their fans....because if 2,000 fans start singing homophobic stuff, i can't see their club banning them all can you ?

It's an absolute joke.....a few rounds of "hark the herald angels sing" will soon be ringing out around grounds

It'll be interesting to see what the reply will be...if any.

I just said that didn't I ? Personally I think it's a complete non event but I wouldn't mind that used to be said about racist chants too.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I find it funny but I am hetrosexual, the people to ask are the gay fans are they bothered ?.

Depends on the context, but it doesn't ever bother me to the extent that I'd protest or complain over it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
What about when they shout

"Your goalkeeper is Gay"

What you gonna do about that......?

Should he change his name by deed poll?

Got to admire the bloke, choosing a career as a pro footballer with that name, then playing for Brighton...with that reputation.

Bit like someone called Hitler becoming a Rabbi.

why do the mods allow openly homophobic threads on this site? Just curious.

As with everything contentious that gets posted on NSC, it's not our job to act as the Thought Police, when there's a whole room full of people who are capable of putting an alternative point of view.

Besides which, we can't be bothered to read every thread.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
We had a thread like this about a year ago i think.

A stand against Homophobic chanting has already been taken against a couple of Norwich fans after we played them at Carrow Road. Not sure of the outcome, but it went all the way from what i can remember.

Are any of the posters above actually gay?

I am and only finally came out a couple of years back after much soul searching. I've attended Albion matches when still 'in the closet' where the gay chanting has gone on for 90 minutes and in all honesty it made me want to be anywhere but there. I'm actually fine with my sexuality now and when going to a game i kinda detach myself from it all when the homophobic chanting starts and just concentrate on the game. In fact i can understand why certain sections of the Albion faithful take a 'pride' in the ability to laugh it off and take it from the opposition and give it back just as much. The only thing is that you only have to suffer the abuse for 90 minutes at most every week on a saturday. I live with the spectre every day of my life. It would be nice if footy was a place where i could go and not have to worry about it, however i am a realist and know that wont happen anytime soon.

There is a bigger picture though i feel. If the FA condone homophobic chanting then they set a precedence to the younger footy fan, saying that if such abuse is tolerated at a match, then why not in society in general. Calling someone a faggot or queer on the terraces is accepted, then surely its accepted in the streets aswell. Ok so you'll never change the attitudes or some people, but if its put on the same level as racist chanting then its a start.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Yes.

Speaking for myself, as I said earlier, it depends on the context in which the chanting is done. It's usually fairly harmless (not to mention highly unoriginal) "Does your boyfriend know you're here" type stuff, in which case I find it easier to laugh at their unoriginality rather than get anywhere close to being offended.

Sometimes, you feel like it is meant with more of a vicious edge, in which case I think our fans have the best way of responding (ie: with humour), which tends to take all the sting out of it anyways.

Those kinds of chants are part and parcel of supporting Brighton & Hove Albion, and they won't ever stop regardless of what legislation is introduced, so what's the use in making a big fuss over it?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Yes.

Speaking for myself, as I said earlier, it depends on the context in which the chanting is done. It's usually fairly harmless (not to mention highly unoriginal) "Does your boyfriend know you're here" type stuff, in which case I find it easier to laugh at their unoriginality rather than get anywhere close to being offended.

What makes me laugh is that every new team that BHA play think they're the only ones that have ever made these comments.

I remember the WHU v BHA at Upton park a few years ago and a few of the west ham fans were wetting themselves because they thought they'd made up the "stand up, cos you can't sit down" song. It really pissed on their fireworks when they were told that this gets sung at nearly every ground they go to

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
We had a thread like this about a year ago i think.

A stand against Homophobic chanting has already been taken against a couple of Norwich fans after we played them at Carrow Road. Not sure of the outcome, but it went all the way from what i can remember.

I am and only finally came out a couple of years back after much soul searching. I've attended Albion matches when still 'in the closet' where the gay chanting has gone on for 90 minutes and in all honesty it made me want to be anywhere but there. I'm actually fine with my sexuality now and when going to a game i kinda detach myself from it all when the homophobic chanting starts and just concentrate on the game. In fact i can understand why certain sections of the Albion faithful take a 'pride' in the ability to laugh it off and take it from the opposition and give it back just as much. The only thing is that you only have to suffer the abuse for 90 minutes at most every week on a saturday. I live with the spectre every day of my life. It would be nice if footy was a place where i could go and not have to worry about it, however i am a realist and know that wont happen anytime soon.

There is a bigger picture though i feel. If the FA condone homophobic chanting then they set a precedence to the younger footy fan, saying that if such abuse is tolerated at a match, then why not in society in general. Calling someone a faggot or queer on the terraces is accepted, then surely its accepted in the streets aswell. Ok so you'll never change the attitudes or some people, but if its put on the same level as racist chanting then its a start.

Agree totally with your points, although I suppose chanting at football is always going to focus on opposing fans percieved "Weakness", It is obvious that not everyone in Brighton is Gay, the same way that not every Chelsea supporter is on the bandwagon and not all Cardiff fans shag sheep, its just the lowest common denominator.

If I were Gay and rival fans were chanting homophobic stuff I dont think it would bother me particularly, It doesnt now, and the repetitive nature of it is frankly just boring.

Monkey noises at Black players has been eliminated from most terraces in the UK, perhaps eventually all such abuse will be viewed as unacceptable, but I wont hold my breath.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London

You could take that whole quote, but with the word "racist" instead of "homophobic", and the answer would/should most certainly be YES.

Quite simply, if the FA/FL&PL put in place a ruling that any club found guilty of any racist/sexist/homophobic abuse had their attendances limited (maybe no away fans allowed to travel), the problem would be eradicated bloody fast. But that's never going to happen, obviously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here