Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

home to gillingham

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
PS hats off to Edna for calling some Palace fan 'a benny', they don't make insults like that anymore

Why thank you. I like that word, a lot. Takes me back to my youthful days.

"Are you a Benny tied to a tree?"

"What? No!"

"Aaarrrggh! Benny on the loose! Benny on the loose!"

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The incorrectest of ALL, though, is the increasing tendency to refer to Manchester City as just ... "City".

The Notts Forest is just plain wrong.

The situation with Inter, is that for many many years now (wrongly) they have been referred to, in the press, and in general conversation outside of Italy, as Inter Milan, and it's stuck, in Italy they are more refered to as plain Inter. Likewise, Rangers and Celtic are often referred to as Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic, but those are not their names, they are The Celtic Football Club and Rangers Football Club. We are Brighton & Hove Albion, but most call us Brighton, West Bromwich Albion are called West Brom, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Wolves and so it goes on.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
FanFUCKINGtastic!!!!!! I'm made up. Looks like I'll be getting to see a game at the Amex after all.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The Notts Forest is just plain wrong.

The situation with Inter, is that for many many years now (wrongly) they have been referred to, in the press, and in general conversation outside of Italy, as Inter Milan, and it's stuck, in Italy they are more refered to as plain Inter. Likewise, Rangers and Celtic are often referred to as Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic, but those are not their names, they are The Celtic Football Club and Rangers Football Club. We are Brighton & Hove Albion, but most call us Brighton, West Bromwich Albion are called West Brom, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Wolves and so it goes on.

"Sporting Lisbon" is the another one.
A personal dislike is foreigners refering to Man Utd as just "Manchester".

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
"Sporting Lisbon" is the another one.
A personal dislike is foreigners refering to Man Utd as just "Manchester".

Possibly down to the fact that using just "Sporting" and "Inter" sounds like you're using an adjective, rather than a name, hence the need to add Lisbon and Milan after it to qualify them as names.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Either way, the worm has turned as far as this Gillingham game is concerned.

I was going to suggest we ditched the whole idea of making away fans feel comfortable, just for this one game, and erect some kind of filthy shed for their fans and chairman to sit in, so they knew how it felt for us at the Priestfield, circa 1998.

Then I remembered they played at Withdean several times, so it's case of "been there, done that".

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
funny - just realised Charlton are non seeded!

To add to our rubbishness, this looks like being the second summer in a row that we have no home pre-season friendly. Had to cancel last year's (Spuds) as the policing cost estimate was more than we expected to take on the gate, and have just had to cancel this year's as it's Reading and no-one will turn up now we have them in the cup a few days later. Ffs.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We had years of no home pre-season friendlies either, as the Withdean South Stand seats were being used for the Open Golf Championship.

I hate pre-season friendlies anyway, so why worry about it?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Very tempting to make Scally and pals slum it but on reflection I quite like the idea of rolling out the red (sorry blue stripy) carpet, give them the full tour and really rub their noses in it. Somehow we survived Priestfield, Withdean, have a successful team, just got promoted (again) and have a 'name' as a manager, plus a magnificent new stadium, courtesy of a genuine fan cum Chairman who has real financial muscle. Hopefully we will show them how to play proper footie too.

Let them drive back to their dump after the game and reflect on just how we have moved on.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I can't be bothered to trawl through this thread so sorry if it's been asked but do season ticket holders still get the first cup match free?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
STHs haven't had the free cup match for a number of years now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here