Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

home to gillingham

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lots of people talking about Palace v Crawley, but surely Palace v Wimbledon would actually be a lot more poignant as a fixture.

Pill, you did remember Scally was Bellotti's pal and Bellotti went to Scally's daughters wedding? It was one maor stitch up to put money into their pockets.
But it was Archer who fixed up the meeting with Scally to arrange the ground share. I know this, because I was working with Bellotti (at a local government conference in Eastbourne) at the time he received the summons from Archer to go to Birmingham for the meeting with Scally which sealed the deal. Bellotti got me to rearrange Mrs Bellotti's evening for her, so that he could jump immediately to His Master's Voice.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Wasn't Bellotti CE at the Priestfield for a while?
Also didn't Tony Pulis smash Scally's wife or something?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's a story in itself; those trips to Gillingham were absolutely soul-destroying and depressing. I'm sure the Argus will have plenty to write about with this tie.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Reading The local paper up here Gillingham won't have a team to bring down. All you read about is players leaving none joining. Lol

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The most depressing two years in the history of Brighton & Hove Albion.

1.jpg

Happily, when Mendoza and I drove up there a couple of weeks ago to try and work out a suitable route for this bike ride business, we got slightly lost and couldn't remember the route after coming up Blue Bell Hill. I like it that my memory has erased the section that deals with Gillingham.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We paid for this poxy stand.

ts

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I remember that cup game in '99 very clearly. There was a Chinese guy in front of me holding up a sign saying "Thank you for the stadium, Gillingham" and then singing random football team names after the old clap-clap-clap-clap-clap... Pockets singing "Arsenal Reject" at Vince Bartram.

According to my programme, Guy Butters played for Gills that day.

I remember that cup game in '99 very clearly. There was a Chinese guy in front of me holding up a sign saying "Thank you for the stadium, Gillingham" and then singing random football team names after the old clap-clap-clap-clap-clap... Pockets singing "Arsenal Reject" at Vince Bartram.

According to my programme, Guy Butters played for Gills that day.
This new idea we've got to deck the away concourse with pictures of the opposition's heroes all over the place ... I take it we have some LARGE photos of Tank already at the printers?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can remember a much earlier League Cup game against Gillingham. Must have been late 1980s I reckon. We were at home, and I think at least one, possibly two divisions above the Gills at the time, who I'm fairly sure had never been above the bottom two divisions at that point.

Typical evening cup game at the Goldstone: low crowd, and Gillingham had their keeper sent off in the first half for booting Paul Wood about six feet in the air when he was clean through on goal (don't know why he bothered, Wood would probably have missed). The keeper trudged off to be replaced in goal by a midfielder who was about 5'9"- for some bizarre reason I have a vague memory that his name was Haylock or something like that. We thought we were right in there at that point- after all, surely even the most incompetent team couldn't fail to score against a short arse midfielder with two thirds of the game still to play, right?

We barely had a shot, and every effort we did have, he saved comfortably. Then the bastard saved someone's crap penalty in the subsequent shoot-out, and we lost :rolleyes:

Those were the days, eh?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
But it was Archer who fixed up the meeting with Scally to arrange the ground share. I know this, because I was working with Bellotti (at a local government conference in Eastbourne) at the time he received the summons from Archer to go to Birmingham for the meeting with Scally which sealed the deal. Bellotti got me to rearrange Mrs Bellotti's evening for her, so that he could jump immediately to His Master's Voice.

So it was you who set up Mrs Belotti with Robbie Fowler!!

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
We paid for this poxy stand

Think your find it was this one Scally built with bha money, and without the proper planning permission either. Just shows how dodgy he is. Funny how even after he was told to take it down it still stands.

Attachments

• 2990024.jpeg
    2990024.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 141

So it was you who set up Mrs Belotti with Robbie Fowler!!
As it happens, I don't know what Mrs B got up to on that night her husband went to Birmingham to meet Archer and Scally. The original plan was that Mr and Mrs B were going to be driven in a chauffeured car to a conference meal at Glyndebourne. (He was Vice Chairman of East Sussex County Council at the time and apparently warranted this special attention). The actual rearrangement of Mrs B's evening that I achieved consisted of me cancelling the car and offering her a seat on a coach, if she still wanted to go to Glyndebourne. She decided to decline this offer and made alternative arrangements to entertain herself that evening. I'm glad to say that Bellotti was not impressed with my lack of helpfulness. Tough shit!

What Mrs B got up to the night that hubby was away in Birmingham is, of course, entirely her business.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
How do you work that one out? The same applies to EVERYONE.

We are not likely to have our 1st fixture at home on a Sunday and then play again at home on Tuesday that early in the season IMHO!

If anything our 1st home league game if shown on TV, will be a later kick off on Saturday 17.30 or even Friday night, but I can't see the police being happy with us playing to a full house under flood lights. Can you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here