Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hogan - A tragic case

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Horrible. Wasn't there a similar case in brighton several years ago where some bloke drove over beachy head with his kids in the car. It's horrible to imagine the fear in the kids when they realise what's about to happen.

I can't imagine anyone could think to themselves 'I'll just pick them up and jump over the balcony'.

When I get seriously angry, and it's happened only three times in my life, I completely blank out. Each time I have come round I don't remember a thing but I have almost strangled someone to death, broken someones jaw and lifted a guy by the throat completely off the floor and held him up against a wall. Each time I have been provoked so much I just snapped but had I killed someone I can honestly say I had no control over what I was doing and cannot remember what I had done after the event.

It is possible that a similar thing could have happened in this case but if it was pre meditated he does deserve to rot in hell.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Beach Hut said:
Maybe, maybe not but you cannot judge anyone without knowing the full case history.

Going back to the original issue about this father he has clearly had a trouble life so perhaps we should wait till all the facts come out prior to making a judgement.

but surely "the facts" are that he jumped off a balcony trying to kill himself and two innocent kids. how can there be an excuse for doing that?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Strange that there isn't more compassion here....

We've all done things in our lives on the spur of the moment that we later regret, often bad things..but within most of us, even when we're at the height of fury or sadness, something within us stops us from doing our worst....People with mental illness often do not have this line in their heads, and when things get to bad they cannot help themselves from doing the worst...

Sadly for Mr Hogan - he also has moments of sanity which he is experiencing now, and it will break him. He needed serious mental help years ago, just like his brothers.

Its always the poor innocent kids who get caught up in this and it will affect their lives forever...poor things.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
afters said:
but surely "the facts" are that he jumped off a balcony trying to kill himself and two innocent kids. how can there be an excuse for doing that?

There isn't an excuse - but you can have understanding can't you?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
tedebear said:
There isn't an excuse - but you can have understanding can't you?

not really no. it's the ultimate act of a selfish person, one apparently drugged up on anti-depressants and booze.

understanding that takes some doing.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
afters said:
not really no. it's the ultimate act of a selfish person, one apparently drugged up on anti-depressants and booze.

understanding that takes some doing.

OK - I understand it to be honest - I don't excuse it, but having some experience with mental illness, I can see how his brain saw suicide with his kids as the only option....

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
You need to check your facts on this one. It has been stated as part of the inquiry process, and by his wife in open media, that he was not drunk, nor was he "drugged up". Making assumptions based on hearsay is not the best way to put across an argument.

His mental health is based upon familial history, his two brothers having committed suicide following depression, the death of his father through MS, the collapse of his business, and the looming collapse of his marriage.

What would be enough to push you over the edge of reason, and how would you know what you were and were not capable of?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
HampshireSeagulls said:
You need to check your facts on this one. It has been stated as part of the inquiry process, and by his wife in open media, that he was not drunk, nor was he "drugged up". Making assumptions based on hearsay is not the best way to put across an argument.

His mental health is based upon familial history, his two brothers having committed suicide following depression, the death of his father through MS, the collapse of his business, and the looming collapse of his marriage.

What would be enough to push you over the edge of reason, and how would you know what you were and were not capable of?

you need to check the use of the word "apparently"

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I could never even begin to understand what would drive a parent to killing they're own kids while taking they're own life.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
afters said:
you need to check the use of the word "apparently"

So why bring up the drink and drugs rumour then? If you take that bit out of your argument, it makes more sense (it's a selfish act).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My judgement for compassion is due to having a friend with a partner who suffers mental health problems. This poor mans family has a history of mental health issues as his two brothers have committed suicide.

Being a father I do not for one minute support child killing however this man is clearly not in a stable state and the issue of his wife telling him she was leaving him with the kids caused a spontaneous horrific reaction.

I stand by my views despite being in a minority.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I am sorry but all this stuff about mental health issues etc do not wash with me. Yes he has got problems and no one is denying that but why take and attempt to take the lives of your children. By all means top yourself which is nothing unusual for people with the types of issues he had but he must have been of sane enough mind to take his children with him.
Like I said before, the only reason I can see that he looks so full of remorse is because he failed to kill himself and his daughter and NOT because he killed his son.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The more I see about this case the stronger I feel. They had a phone in on 5 Live this morning and amoungst the sensible people there were some muppets saying execute him, he is evil. These people are a disgrace to humanity. Surely it is a measure of us as human beings to show some mercy to a fellow person in tremendous suffering. Some people who kill randomly or pre mediated and show no remorse can be labelled as evil. This man had a history of clinical depression and a family pre disposition to the illness with his 2 bothers commiting suicide.

He had a massive mental breakdown in that hotel room and I am uneasy as to the role his wife played in playing on his mental fragility, we do not know the full facts but he was looking at losing his marriage and children. What he did was heinous and cannot be forgiven and some punishment it required but he needs to go to a psychiatric hospital probably for the rest of his life not prison.

Anyone who saw him at the court room last night knows he is paying the ultimate price and punishment and it is just a tragic case of a man who is sick and had a massive crisis.

The people who cry execute him or one step away from the Nazi regime where anyone mental ill or disabled was given " the final solution and special treatment " and killed.

That is all.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Uncle Spielberg said:
The more I see about this case the stronger I feel. They had a phone in on 5 Live this morning and amoungst the sensible people there were some muppets saying execute him, he is evil. These people are a disgrace to humanity. Surely it is a measure of us as human beings to show some mercy to a fellow person in tremendous suffering. Some people who kill randomly or pre mediated and show no remorse can be labelled as evil. This man had a history of clinical depression and a family pre disposition to the illness with his 2 bothers commiting suicide.

He had a massive mental breakdown in that hotel room and I am uneasy as to the role his wife played in playing on his mental fragility, we do not know the full facts but he was looking at losing his marriage and children. What he did was heinous and cannot be forgiven and some punishment it required but he needs to go to a psychiatric hospital probably for the rest of his life not prison.

Anyone who saw him at the court room last night knows he is paying the ultimate price and punishment and it is just a tragic case of a man who is sick and had a massive crisis.

The people who cry execute him or one step away from the Nazi regime where anyone mental ill or disabled was given " the final solution and special treatment " and killed.

That is all.

Well said sir. I take back what I said about you.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As a point of order the blood tests showed he had NO ALCOHOL in his blood and NO DRUGS. The bloke had a catasclysmic mental breakdown.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
But at the end of the day, whatever his problems he still murdered his son and is full of remorse because he failed to kill himself.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And to compare this bloke to Ian Huntley is an absolute disgrace. Lets see all the facts come out and they will out.

Should he be executed - No

Should he go to prison for life - No

Should he be put into a secure psychiatric hospital as he is seriously mental ill and sick - Yes

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" But at the end of the day, whatever his problems he still murdered his son and is full of remorse because he failed to kill himself. "

This thread shows still in the 21st century how little people understand or want to understand serious mental illness, we have not moved on from the Victorian ages.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
B.M.F said:
But at the end of the day, whatever his problems he still murdered his son and is full of remorse because he failed to kill himself.

I'm guessing his desire to kill himself now is even stronger than it was when he jumped with his kids. Just as well let him do it because his life is over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here