Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hodgeson leaves Liverpool

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I hope Hodgson gets the next England manager's position.

Is that a joke?
His away record is shocking, he seems to build teams on a hard working, hard to beat home record, which is why he did well at Fulham. In my opinion he could take most average teams to 7th/8th/9th in the league, but he could never take a team higher as his actual tactics arent great, and all revolve around hard work.
The next England manager is a tough one, but i think i'd go Harry Redknapp at the moment.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Is that a joke?
His away record is shocking, he seems to build teams on a hard working, hard to beat home record, which is why he did well at Fulham. In my opinion he could take most average teams to 7th/8th/9th in the league, but he could never take a team higher as his actual tactics arent great, and all revolve around hard work.
The next England manager is a tough one, but i think i'd go Harry Redknapp at the moment.

His International Record is pretty impressive, got the Swiss to Euro 96 and almost took a poor Finland to the World cup.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Dalglish will re galvanise the squad and will do a better job then Hodgson, Kenny has won more trophies as a manager then Roy has away games in England.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
No sympathy at all for Liverpool fans. Hodgson had just taken a wildly overachieving club to a European final and yet he wasn't a "big" enough name for them from day one and with them on his back it was only a matter of time before he was shown the door. We reap what we sow. Hope they tumble down the table.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I feel sorry for Roy. A decent bloke sacrificed on the altar of Scouse vanity. Hope Liverpool crash and burn now.

A bit of that to be honest. He never did have a chance.

I think the confidence in Dalgleish is misplaced. His heyday was before the mass importation of overseas footballers and I'm not sure the like of Torres and Maxi will respond to a mumbling Scot who even his compatriots might struggle to understand

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
An average manager that took Fulham to a European final. Yeah, you got that right.

35 years and 0 major honours, a good cup run with Fulham in a competition he only qualified for via the fair play league, in the same season they won 1 away game in the league, so yes a very average manager.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Shame for Roy, but I know he will do an excellent job with his next club...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
35 years and 0 major honours, a good cup run with Fulham in a competition he only qualified for via the fair play league, in the same season they won 1 away game in the league, so yes a very average manager.

So just about the Level Liverpool are at now?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
playing them next season then!!

Wasn't the Albion versus Liverpool the league fixture that featured in one of the videos advertising sponsorship packages for Falmer...prophetic or what?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
It's potentially foolish to put Dalglish in charge for the rest of the season. The fans love him so much that it'll be very tough to get rid of him and even tougher for the guy that replaces him however badly Dalglisg might do. I hope he takes them down.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
So just about the Level Liverpool are at now?

Because of one season outside the top 4? Liverpool needed a man to take them back to where they have been for the vast majority, Roy took them to their worst season in 57 years, if it was Rafa or a foreign manager instead of Roy everyone would of been talking about how poor he is and how he must go. Instead they have to realise the Roy is in fact an average manager and wasn't good enough for the job. No hard feelings to the man but he wasn't correct for the job.

D

Deleted member 2719

Grant at WHU to go next and Hodgson to be installed there?

Good call and taking Bobby Z back too maybe or is Zamora waiting for us to get Championship Football, what a buzz that would be, could Tony afford him?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Don't understand this "feel sorry for Roy" he is a very average manager and should never of got the job.

He is a decent manager (how many would have done what he did with Fulham for instance?)

He was unfortunate at Liverpool that he inherited a very poor squad that was over reliant on a couple of star players in Torres and Gerrard who were injured a lot, he didn't have money to spend on bringing in better players because the previous manager had wasted soo much by paying over the odds on extremely average players and the clubs crippling debt and also the bickering over the clubs ownership and future - hardly a stable foundation to build from is it

Had he been given time and allowed to buy and sell players to get a squad worthy of him, i'm sure Hodgeson would have taken Liverpool back to the top 4 of the Premiership.

On 16 April 2010 Martin Broughton was appointed Chairman of the Club in order to oversee the sale of the club by the owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett. In May, accounts were released showing the club to be £350 million in debt with losses of £55m, causing auditor KPMG to qualify its audit opinion.

The club's creditors, including Royal Bank of Scotland, took Gillet and Hicks to court to allow the resale of the club. A High Court Judge, Justice Floyd, eventually ruled in favour of the creditors and paved the way for a sale of the club to New England Sports Ventures, although Gillet and Hicks still had the option to appeal the verdict. However, Gillet and Hicks got an 11th hour reprieve from a Texas district court just before the interim bank-appointed board were about to consider the $477.2 million sale. The Texas court issued a restraining order after the two owners said the board were responsible for an "epic swindle" by selling the club for less than its supposed value. The club then issued a statement saying: "The independent directors consider the restraining order to be unwarranted and damaging and will move as swiftly as possible to seek to have it removed." The Financial Times said the board may ask a British court to decide whether the Texas court had jurisdiction in the case. Pending the decision, however, Liverpool's debt was due on 15 October 2010, which could have put the club into administration and consequently be docked 9 points by the league. Shortly thereafter, the High Court issued an anti-suit injunction against the Texas court's restraining order, giving Gillet and Hicks until October 15 to revoke the injunction or face contempt of court charges. On 15 October, the Texas court, by request of the two owners, dissolved the restraining order, allowing the sale of the club to be completed. Hicks, however, planned to continue to pursue damages of $1.6 billion against the board of directors.

On 15 October, the club issued a statement confirming New England Sports Ventures had completed the acquisition for £300 million

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

If you want to quantify a manager's success by the amount of "major" honours won then 90% of them can take a running jump right there. Most managers aren't fortunate enough to be appointed to clubs with the resources to challenge for "major" honours. And what is a "major" honour anyway? You have to look deeper than that. Hodgson had a proven record of getting the best from limited resources. To my mind that makes him every bit as good a manager as many of those at the top of the food chain.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
It's potentially foolish to put Dalglish in charge for the rest of the season. The fans love him so much that it'll be very tough to get rid of him and even tougher for the guy that replaces him however badly Dalglisg might do. I hope he takes them down.

He's only in until the summer, because he is Mr Liverpool I think he is just in to install some pride and passion back into the players and use that time to find the correct replacement.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Why dont you want us to qualify for any more tournaments.

Seems an odd comment to make. I regard Hodgeson highly and can see him returning to a club and replicating the path Fulham took under his leadership.

Sometimes, managers aren't successful at some clubs but are at others. Brian Clough at Leeds springs to mind, as does Micky Adams' second spell with us. Steve McClaren isn't remembered favourably with England fans, but Twente fans?

Overall, I feel Hodgeson to be a fine manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here